teebaby323 is on a distinguished road. (+10)

Should I continue strong lifts or join powerlifting gym?

Hello everyone, I've been doing the Strong lifts program for a few weeks and am stalling out. My stats are: 27, 5'7, 140lbs, Bench Press 185x5, Squat 190x5, Deadlift 225x5. I just stalled out for the first time this past week and not sure if I should continue the stronglifts program or join this Power Lifting gym that has workouts more specialized for raising those numbers. At what point do you move on from stronglifts? Please, some helpful advice would be great.

DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    DO you want to powerlift? ie compete in 3 main lifts, or do you just wantto get stronger?

xsquid99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) xsquid99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) xsquid99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) xsquid99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) xsquid99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) xsquid99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) xsquid99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) xsquid99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) xsquid99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) xsquid99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) xsquid99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    You've only been running stronglifts for a few weeks and plateaued already? You probably started at too high of a weight. Did you follow the deload protocol? https://stronglifts.com/5x5/#Plateaus

Quote directly from Strong Lifts:

Some people start looking for a new program when they fail reps. They think this one must be broken. The ones who get the strongest don’t give up on a program that easily. They also take their technique, nutrition, and sleep more seriously. They consider it part of their training – because it is.
    All it takes is consistency, effort, proper nutrition, good programming, and TIME.

Don't be upset with the results you didn't get from the work you did not do.

dazitmayn is just really nice. (+1000) dazitmayn is just really nice. (+1000) dazitmayn is just really nice. (+1000) dazitmayn is just really nice. (+1000) dazitmayn is just really nice. (+1000) dazitmayn is just really nice. (+1000) dazitmayn is just really nice. (+1000) dazitmayn is just really nice. (+1000) dazitmayn is just really nice. (+1000) dazitmayn is just really nice. (+1000) dazitmayn is just really nice. (+1000)
    it seems like you may be close to intermediate based on your numbers, but i would just follow the stalling protocol and drop the weight. if you come across another hard stall it's probably time to move on to something different. i mean i don't see why you couldn't join that powerlifting gym and still run stronglifts. regardless if you want to get into powerlifting or not, they tend to have superior quality equipment and the people who attend a powerlifting gym tend to be more serious about lifting and can probably offer some good advice for beginners and good spotting. so if anything the environment alone is more conducive to making gains. only thing is depending on the gym they may not have the machines or the cardio equipment you want unless it's a really big gym.

if you want to run something different go ahead.

SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz
    I bet the issue is not eating enough...

Originally Posted by DCSpartan View Post
    DO you want to powerlift? ie compete in 3 main lifts, or do you just wantto get stronger?
    I want to possibly powerlift, but my main goal is to build a nice physique while getting to the 1000lb barbell club.

Originally Posted by SuffolkPunch View Post
    Possibly. I eat around 2200 calories but I get a high amount of protein for my weight. I'm trying to bulk but do a body recomp to not put on fat.

Originally Posted by dazitmayn View Post
    it seems like you may be close to intermediate based on your numbers, but i would just follow the stalling protocol and drop the weight. if you come across another hard stall it's probably time to move on to something different. i mean i don't see why you couldn't join that powerlifting gym and still run stronglifts. regardless if you want to get into powerlifting or not, they tend to have superior quality equipment and the people who attend a powerlifting gym tend to be more serious about lifting and can probably offer some good advice for beginners and good spotting. so if anything the environment alone is more conducive to making gains. only thing is depending on the gym they may not have the machines or the cardio equipment you want unless it's a really big gym.

if you want to run something different go ahead.
    Thanks, this is a really helpful answer. That was another reason I was thinking powerlifting gym, I work out at my local YMCA and it's not many squat racks, and most people seem to not take lifting that serious.

TryingBB has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TryingBB has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TryingBB has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TryingBB has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TryingBB has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TryingBB has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TryingBB has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TryingBB has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TryingBB has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TryingBB has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TryingBB has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    ^ this

When I was eating at maintenance / slightly above I kept progressing. Issue was got stronger but body looked exactly the same for several months and at the same weight. Got impatient I know but I light to change my body. Changes keep people motivated.

Now I’m cutting and keep stalling. Im gonna Continue cutting and get it done with this time around though. Been fuking around too long spinning my wheels with recomp bull chit.
    **^^ gone ^^**

SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz
    Originally Posted by teebaby323 View Post
    Possibly. I eat around 2200 calories but I get a high amount of protein for my weight. I'm trying to bulk but do a body recomp to not put on fat.
    Not trying to be mean but that sounds like typical behaviour for a 140lber - you need to break eggs to make an omelette OP. Allow some controlled amount of fat gain.

dazitmayn is just really nice. (+1000) dazitmayn is just really nice. (+1000) dazitmayn is just really nice. (+1000) dazitmayn is just really nice. (+1000) dazitmayn is just really nice. (+1000) dazitmayn is just really nice. (+1000) dazitmayn is just really nice. (+1000) dazitmayn is just really nice. (+1000) dazitmayn is just really nice. (+1000) dazitmayn is just really nice. (+1000) dazitmayn is just really nice. (+1000)
    put on 15-20 lbs in a year OP, aim for that, minimal fat gain

TryingBB has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TryingBB has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TryingBB has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TryingBB has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TryingBB has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TryingBB has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TryingBB has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TryingBB has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TryingBB has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TryingBB has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TryingBB has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Not trying to be mean but that sounds like typical behaviour for a 140lber - you need to break eggs to make an omelette OP. Allow some controlled amount of fat gain.
    Op, at your weight and height I’d listen to SuffolkPunch and start putting on weight in a heartbeat. Just make sure you’re lifting and progressing in your lifts and getting 1g per lb of body weight in protien.

I did not listen to his and many other advices I got and stayed at my weight tried to “recomp”. I got stronger yes, but I look exactly the fuking same.

I lift for aesthetics and want bigger muscles.

They told me to choose cut or bulk and NO RECOMP. I thought I was special lol and will break all rules. Well I’m here 3 months later looking almost the same.

I actually started a bulk but got too puffy for my liking - so I’m cutting about 10lbs (been doing for about 20 days now) and once I get there I’m gonna bulk for 6 months. 1.5 to 2lbs weight gain per month.

Don’t be like me and many other newbies..listen to the advice you got. You will put on muscle
    **^^ gone ^^**

rdf1988 will become famous soon enough. (+50) rdf1988 will become famous soon enough. (+50) rdf1988 will become famous soon enough. (+50) rdf1988 will become famous soon enough. (+50) rdf1988 will become famous soon enough. (+50) rdf1988 will become famous soon enough. (+50) rdf1988 will become famous soon enough. (+50) rdf1988 will become famous soon enough. (+50) rdf1988 will become famous soon enough. (+50) rdf1988 will become famous soon enough. (+50) rdf1988 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by TryingBB View Post
    Op, at your weight and height I’d listen to SuffolkPunch and start putting on weight in a heartbeat. Just make sure you’re lifting and progressing in your lifts and getting 1g per lb of body weight in protien.

I did not listen to his and many other advices I got and stayed at my weight tried to “recomp”. I got stronger yes, but I look exactly the fuking same.

I lift for aesthetics and want bigger muscles.

They told me to choose cut or bulk and NO RECOMP. I thought I was special lol and will break all rules. Well I’m here 3 months later looking almost the same.

I actually started a bulk but got too puffy for my liking - so I’m cutting about 10lbs (been doing for about 20 days now) and once I get there I’m gonna bulk for 6 months. 1.5 to 2lbs weight gain per month.

Don’t be like me and many other newbies..listen to the advice you got. You will put on muscle
    Three months isn't a long time to see big changes. But 1-2lb/month weight gain is a good bulking target.

OP, I'd generally recommend going for the powerlifting gym. I don't say that as an absolute, but if it's a good PL gym with good coaching and programming, and you adhere to it, at the very least your results won't be worse than being in a YMCA without coaching doing a cookie-cutter routine that hasn't been designed to address any of issues specific to you.

Having said that, this question smells of training ADHD. If you change programs after only a few weeks and the only reason is because adding weight every workout is proving to be a challenge, there are deeper issues that a better program can't fix. I'm not saying you should stick with SL5x5 necessarily. I'm not a big fan of it (or any programs like it), and I can 100% guarantee that a good coach can come up with something better for you. But before changing programs, I think you need to address whatever is limiting your progress on the program. It may be that the program just isn't suitable for you, but there may be one or two key things you can do to make the program work. And the truth is, no program will work unless you make it work.