Thread: cut or bulk?

Hombre7 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

cut or bulk?

In a predicament and looking for advice. Heres my stats:

5'11.5"
    168lbs
    somewhere between 15-18% bf
    no visible abs, but some muscle development in legs, chest, and back.

Basically..I dont know if I should cut or bulk. I have some muscle development but not a lot, so i wouldnt say im classically "skinny-fat". Most of my fat is stored in my butt and gut.

My problem is that when I try to bulk (2700 cals with 180g protein, 100g fat, 270g carbs. 500cals over maintenance max) I naturally put on a little extra fat, but coupled with the fat I already have, i start to look a bit chunkier than Id want to.
    Ideally, Id want to cut down to like 12% and then bulk..but Im not sure if I have enough muscle as a base to be able to cut down to that percentage.

So, can I cut down to 12% or should I bulk and cut after? Appreciate the input!

AdamWW has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) AdamWW has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) AdamWW has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) AdamWW has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) AdamWW has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) AdamWW has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) AdamWW has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) AdamWW has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) AdamWW has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) AdamWW has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) AdamWW has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    Originally Posted by Hombre7 View Post
    In a predicament and looking for advice. Heres my stats:

5'11.5"
    168lbs
    somewhere between 15-18% bf
    no visible abs, but some muscle development in legs, chest, and back.

Basically..I dont know if I should cut or bulk. I have some muscle development but not a lot, so i wouldnt say im classically "skinny-fat". Most of my fat is stored in my butt and gut.

My problem is that when I try to bulk (2700 cals with 180g protein, 100g fat, 270g carbs. 500cals over maintenance max) I naturally put on a little extra fat, but coupled with the fat I already have, i start to look a bit chunkier than Id want to.
    Ideally, Id want to cut down to like 12% and then bulk..but Im not sure if I have enough muscle as a base to be able to cut down to that percentage.

So, can I cut down to 12% or should I bulk and cut after? Appreciate the input!
    What is your experience level in the gym? What are you lift levels for Bench/Squat/Deadlift?

Everyone gains some fat when they're gaining muscle... it's unavoidable if you want to optimize progress.
    The power of carbs compels me!

Been going to the gym about 3yrs, but prolly a year of training on a legit program (F5). Current 3x5 lifts are:
    Bench-170
    Squat-225
    DL-195
    OHP-115
    Pull Ups-3x10 body weight

DL is lacking bc I wanted to get form down

AdamWW has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) AdamWW has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) AdamWW has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) AdamWW has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) AdamWW has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) AdamWW has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) AdamWW has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) AdamWW has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) AdamWW has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) AdamWW has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) AdamWW has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    Originally Posted by Hombre7 View Post
    Been going to the gym about 3yrs, but prolly a year of training on a legit program (F5). Current 3x5 lifts are:
    Bench-170
    Squat-225
    DL-195
    OHP-115
    Pull Ups-3x10 body weight

DL is lacking bc I wanted to get form down
    You're no where near strong enough to justify cutting at your bodyweight unless you are just so dead-set on being lean that you want to waste months of possible growth to obtain abs that no one will see.

Just eat in a very mild surplus and focus on adding weight to the bar.

Your issue is lean body mass and lacking strength, not having too much fat on you.

I'm surprised after a year on F5 you're only at a 225 squat and 170 bench... suggests you're either undereating, not recovering, or not following the program correctly.
    The power of carbs compels me!

Originally Posted by AdamWW View Post
    You're no where near strong enough to justify cutting at your bodyweight unless you are just so dead-set on being lean that you want to waste months of possible growth to obtain abs that no one will see.

Just eat in a very mild surplus and focus on adding weight to the bar.

Your issue is lean body mass and lacking strength, not having too much fat on you.

I'm surprised after a year on F5 you're only at a 225 squat and 170 bench... suggests you're either undereating, not recovering, or not following the program correctly.
    got it. How many cals in excess should I shoot for? 250? more?