Thread: Face pulls form

Never accept defeat! backinthegymbro's Avatar
    backinthegymbro has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) backinthegymbro has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) backinthegymbro has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) backinthegymbro has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) backinthegymbro has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) backinthegymbro has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) backinthegymbro has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) backinthegymbro has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) backinthegymbro has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) backinthegymbro has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) backinthegymbro has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)

Face pulls form

My rear delts have been lacking despite doing rear delt raises with dumbbells twice a week.
    So i decided to implement seated one arm cross cable lateral raises and also face pulls at the beginning of my work out (priority principle method)

I never did face pulls however and they're not in any Arnold book (which is my primary source for lifting info).
    After looking up some youtube videos, i still have a few questions.

1. Position. Athlean x says put the cable higher than your head because you want to prevent being pulled down into a hunch position. Others say to put it a bit lower than your face.

2. With what do you pull it? Do you keep the hands fixed and simply pull with the elbows and spreading it out until you end up with a double bicep pose.
    Or do you pull with your hands and end up in the same position?

3. Do you guys use 2 rope attachments so you can pull the arms back further?
    Cobra Kai never dies!

HeMB is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) HeMB is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) HeMB is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) HeMB is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) HeMB is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) HeMB is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) HeMB is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) HeMB is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) HeMB is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) HeMB is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) HeMB is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Sorry I am not answering all the questions.

But I can say that facepulls are better done with double rope. And elbows should not be at 90 degree, they should be slightly lower.Overall, athleanx is a decent source for exercise form.

However, I think facepulls are overrated both as 'shoulder health' movement and rear delt.

Have you tried the reverse peck deck? These are my favorite for rear delt. Finally they started to grow after incorporating them.
    Although this really depends on mind muscle connection.
    Skwat bench ded
    but still DYEL?

Never accept defeat! backinthegymbro's Avatar
    backinthegymbro has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) backinthegymbro has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) backinthegymbro has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) backinthegymbro has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) backinthegymbro has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) backinthegymbro has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) backinthegymbro has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) backinthegymbro has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) backinthegymbro has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) backinthegymbro has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) backinthegymbro has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    Originally Posted by HeMB View Post
    Have you tried the reverse peck deck? These are my favorite for rear delt. Finally they started to grow after incorporating them.
    Although this really depends on mind muscle connection.
    It's not available in my ghetto gym. But i agree mind muscle connection and really flexing the muscles on each rep is always key for growth.
    Cobra Kai never dies!

HeMB is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) HeMB is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) HeMB is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) HeMB is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) HeMB is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) HeMB is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) HeMB is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) HeMB is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) HeMB is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) HeMB is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) HeMB is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by backinthegymbro View Post
    It's not available in my ghetto gym. But i agree mind muscle connection and really flexing the muscles on each rep is always key for growth.
    Ahh it is pity you do not have it.

For rear delts you could also try cable high row.

Or alternatively, you could alter your facepull form so that you pretty much keep scapula in neutral/slightly retracted position all the time and move only from the elbows + spread the rope apart.That will shift focus on rear delts a lot.

P.s. have you tried prone db incline bench raises?
    Skwat bench ded
    but still DYEL?

air2fakie is just really nice. (+1000) air2fakie is just really nice. (+1000) air2fakie is just really nice. (+1000) air2fakie is just really nice. (+1000) air2fakie is just really nice. (+1000) air2fakie is just really nice. (+1000) air2fakie is just really nice. (+1000) air2fakie is just really nice. (+1000) air2fakie is just really nice. (+1000) air2fakie is just really nice. (+1000) air2fakie is just really nice. (+1000)
    Agree that reverse pec deck (once you make sure you're focusing on delts & not traps/back) is great for rear delts.

If you have to do cable b/c of your gym, you could also try reverse cable flyes (hold the two balls w/ no handles and arms crisscrossed at or above shoulder height, then pull like a rear delt fly. The key is not to go too heavy and again make sure you're focusing on rear delts otherwise you start using other muscles.

For me, I can isolate the rear delts better w/ 2 above than face pulls, although I find face pulls are better than db rear flyes (for me), and I like them for shoulder health.

For face pulls, I do single rope attachment, put cable just below chin level and then lead w/ elbow back/up to double biceps pose (cable latch usually going about right at the eyes); pull w/ thumbs facing you to start (some ppl do it away which seems super awkward). Try it out different ways and go w/ the one where you personally can feel you isolating your rear delts best - just don't go too heavy or your form will go to s***.

2020Wellness has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) 2020Wellness has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) 2020Wellness has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) 2020Wellness has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) 2020Wellness has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) 2020Wellness has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) 2020Wellness has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) 2020Wellness has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) 2020Wellness has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) 2020Wellness has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) 2020Wellness has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by air2fakie View Post
    Agree that reverse pec deck (once you make sure you're focusing on delts & not traps/back) is great for rear delts.

If you have to do cable b/c of your gym, you could also try reverse cable flyes (hold the two balls w/ no handles and arms crisscrossed at or above shoulder height, then pull like a rear delt fly. The key is not to go too heavy and again make sure you're focusing on rear delts otherwise you start using other muscles.

For me, I can isolate the rear delts better w/ 2 above than face pulls, although I find face pulls are better than db rear flyes (for me), and I like them for shoulder health.

For face pulls, I do single rope attachment, put cable just below chin level and then lead w/ elbow back/up to double biceps pose (cable latch usually going about right at the eyes); pull w/ thumbs facing you to start (some ppl do it away which seems super awkward). Try it out different ways and go w/ the one where you personally can feel you isolating your rear delts best - just don't go too heavy or your form will go to s***.
    Here’s a solid form video for you OP:

Have a coaching, training, nutrition question? PM me!

WildcatDave will become famous soon enough. (+50) WildcatDave will become famous soon enough. (+50) WildcatDave will become famous soon enough. (+50) WildcatDave will become famous soon enough. (+50) WildcatDave will become famous soon enough. (+50) WildcatDave will become famous soon enough. (+50) WildcatDave will become famous soon enough. (+50) WildcatDave will become famous soon enough. (+50) WildcatDave will become famous soon enough. (+50) WildcatDave will become famous soon enough. (+50) WildcatDave will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by backinthegymbro View Post
    My rear delts have been lacking despite doing rear delt raises with dumbbells twice a week.
    So i decided to implement seated one arm cross cable lateral raises and also face pulls at the beginning of my work out (priority principle method)

I never did face pulls however and they're not in any Arnold book (which is my primary source for lifting info).
    After looking up some youtube videos, i still have a few questions.

1. Position. Athlean x says put the cable higher than your head because you want to prevent being pulled down into a hunch position. Others say to put it a bit lower than your face.

2. With what do you pull it? Do you keep the hands fixed and simply pull with the elbows and spreading it out until you end up with a double bicep pose.
    Or do you pull with your hands and end up in the same position?

3. Do you guys use 2 rope attachments so you can pull the arms back further?
    When I do facepulls, it's more like Athlean x teaches. Fortunately my gym has chains that I use. These allow me to get my hands wide and I focus on getting my hands back before my elbows.

12 pack > 6 pack PurmaBulker1984's Avatar
    PurmaBulker1984 is just really nice. (+1000) PurmaBulker1984 is just really nice. (+1000) PurmaBulker1984 is just really nice. (+1000) PurmaBulker1984 is just really nice. (+1000) PurmaBulker1984 is just really nice. (+1000) PurmaBulker1984 is just really nice. (+1000) PurmaBulker1984 is just really nice. (+1000) PurmaBulker1984 is just really nice. (+1000) PurmaBulker1984 is just really nice. (+1000) PurmaBulker1984 is just really nice. (+1000) PurmaBulker1984 is just really nice. (+1000)
    1 vote for atheleanx face pull form. I dont like the guy but he does a great video on it.
    160 lbs and jacked is about as impressive as D cups on a 300lb woman

Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    My two cents,
    I call them top cross cable rear delt pulls.
    You need to think pulling outward(semi circle) not backward(like a row) from the elbows keeping the lower arms locked in position,bent is ok but don't move the lower arms once in position.
    Keep the arms along the line at shoulder level at all times.
    If the drift downward it can turn the movement into more of an upper back than rear delt exercise.
    Let the arms come across in front as far as possible elbows may be pointing in opposite directions.
    This range even though it's only a few inches usually doesn't get addressed and will help develop a fuller rear delt.
    This is one that many turn into a tricep combo movement so don't.
    You can't see what your training so you need to feel what your doing.
    Lighter to moderate weights for reps work better IMO than heavy loose reps.
    Last edited by Garage Rat; 11-18-2019 at 11:31 AM.

KTownManiac is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) KTownManiac is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) KTownManiac is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) KTownManiac is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) KTownManiac is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) KTownManiac is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) KTownManiac is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) KTownManiac is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) KTownManiac is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) KTownManiac is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) KTownManiac is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank)
    do them the way athlean x suggests. If you're doing it with a rope attachment, its better to attach two ropes so that the handles are longer, you'll get a better ROM that way and you'll be able to externally rotate more

WildcatDave will become famous soon enough. (+50) WildcatDave will become famous soon enough. (+50) WildcatDave will become famous soon enough. (+50) WildcatDave will become famous soon enough. (+50) WildcatDave will become famous soon enough. (+50) WildcatDave will become famous soon enough. (+50) WildcatDave will become famous soon enough. (+50) WildcatDave will become famous soon enough. (+50) WildcatDave will become famous soon enough. (+50) WildcatDave will become famous soon enough. (+50) WildcatDave will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by Garage Rat View Post
    My two cents,
    I call them top cross cable rear delt pulls.
    You need to think pulling outward(semi circle) not backward(like a row) from the elbows keeping the lower arms locked in position,bent is ok but don't move the lower arms once in position.
    Let the arms come across in front as far as possible elbows may be pointing in opposite directions.
    This range even though it's only a few inches usually doesn't get addressed and will help develop a fuller rear delt.
    This is one that many turn into a tricep combo movement so don't.
    You can't see what your training so you need to feel what your doing.
    Lighter to moderate weights for reps work better IMO than heavy loose reps.
    I'm going to give this a try today.

radrd is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) radrd is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) radrd is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) radrd is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) radrd is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) radrd is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) radrd is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) radrd is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) radrd is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) radrd is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) radrd is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by PurmaBulker1984 View Post
    1 vote for atheleanx face pull form. I dont like the guy but he does a great video on it.
    Agreed, I think this is the video, though he has a few that include face pulls. Also, an article that summarizes, in case you can't stand watching him. Face pulls are probably more of a corrective exercise than anything. I do them at the end of my workouts.

https://athleanx.com/articles/should...ulls-like-this