jdesey will become famous soon enough. (+50) jdesey will become famous soon enough. (+50) jdesey will become famous soon enough. (+50) jdesey will become famous soon enough. (+50) jdesey will become famous soon enough. (+50) jdesey will become famous soon enough. (+50) jdesey will become famous soon enough. (+50) jdesey will become famous soon enough. (+50) jdesey will become famous soon enough. (+50) jdesey will become famous soon enough. (+50) jdesey will become famous soon enough. (+50)

Pull ups vs. pull down cable

I have switched from lat pull downs to assisted pull ups. My reason is that there’s no cheating, no torso bend to help. I do multiple grips to hit all the back. Much better results. Still learning after 40 years in the gym.

HeMB is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) HeMB is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) HeMB is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) HeMB is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) HeMB is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) HeMB is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) HeMB is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) HeMB is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) HeMB is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) HeMB is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) HeMB is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by jdesey View Post
    I have switched from lat pull downs to assisted pull ups. My reason is that there’s no cheating, no torso bend to help. I do multiple grips to hit all the back. Much better results. Still learning after 40 years in the gym.
    If you feel them working your back then it is fine. But IME, assisted pullups are crap and I am better off doing pulldowns.

andy0w has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) andy0w has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) andy0w has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) andy0w has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) andy0w has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) andy0w has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) andy0w has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) andy0w has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) andy0w has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) andy0w has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) andy0w has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by jdesey View Post

It's ok if you have the equipment.
    If you don't and you can't pull up your own weight yet, you can do lat pull down.

I'm looking for a rubber band. Those I have aren't suitable.

Amazon sells a lot but no info about starting length, end length or force.
    Cycling, walking, swimming.
    No car.

Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    If your feeling the back get good work there is nothing wrong with assisted pull ups IMO.
    I do them occasionally so i can get higher reps on a pull up type movement.
    An assisted machine is better than a band pull up in that you get an even pull through the movement.
    A band is easy at the bottom and harder at the top.
    The top half is usually where people are the weakest.
    On the assisted be as strict as possible and eventually strive to decrease the assistance weight and get to a regular unassisted pull up.
    That should be the goal.
    Lat pull downs are a great bodybuilding lat and upper back builders and sort of opposite as your pulling the weight down to your body.
    Good luck.

WakingOp has a spectacular aura about. (+250) WakingOp has a spectacular aura about. (+250) WakingOp has a spectacular aura about. (+250) WakingOp has a spectacular aura about. (+250) WakingOp has a spectacular aura about. (+250) WakingOp has a spectacular aura about. (+250) WakingOp has a spectacular aura about. (+250) WakingOp has a spectacular aura about. (+250) WakingOp has a spectacular aura about. (+250) WakingOp has a spectacular aura about. (+250) WakingOp has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Originally Posted by Garage Rat View Post
    as your pulling the weight down to your body.
    Good luck.
    Does that matter? Doesn't seem like it would make much difference, you're still pulling the same.

I stopped doing lat pulldowns when I got to my bodyweight, cause after that my machine only has 20 pound increments. Pullups feel better. And more macho.

GeneralSerpant has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GeneralSerpant has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GeneralSerpant has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GeneralSerpant has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GeneralSerpant has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GeneralSerpant has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GeneralSerpant has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GeneralSerpant has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GeneralSerpant has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GeneralSerpant has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GeneralSerpant has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by WakingOp View Post
    Does that matter? Doesn't seem like it would make much difference, you're still pulling the same.

I stopped doing lat pulldowns when I got to my bodyweight, cause after that my machine only has 20 pound increments. Pullups feel better. And more macho.
    The open chain nature allows you to dial in the form to hit the lats more freely when you're not working with the momentum of the body. Good for mmc.

dazitmayn is just really nice. (+1000) dazitmayn is just really nice. (+1000) dazitmayn is just really nice. (+1000) dazitmayn is just really nice. (+1000) dazitmayn is just really nice. (+1000) dazitmayn is just really nice. (+1000) dazitmayn is just really nice. (+1000) dazitmayn is just really nice. (+1000) dazitmayn is just really nice. (+1000) dazitmayn is just really nice. (+1000) dazitmayn is just really nice. (+1000)
    assisted pullup machine is okay if you are trying to develop your lats would rather do pulldowns though if trying to learn pullups, pullup negatives and bands are great, i prefer regular pullups/chinups overall but will throw in a lat pulldown sometimes

RyanBest97 is on a distinguished road. (+10)

Best back exercise

Pull ups are the best option in my opinion when it comes to training your lats. However the best option for you is to find out what works for you.

When I first began training I used to train lat pull down as I could barely do one strict pull up. I did not make much progress until I began to include pull ups in my training. I began by doing negative repititions and then progressed to low rep bodyweight pull ups then progressed to 5 sets of 5 reps. Before I knew it I was able to do 10/12 repititions. I then began to add weight, 5kg at first and then 10kg for 8-12 reps. I can now do 18+ bodyweight pull ups and my back is developing nicely. I usually train in the 6 - 12 rep range with weighted pull ups for hypertrophy.

rjthegreat10 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) rjthegreat10 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) rjthegreat10 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) rjthegreat10 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) rjthegreat10 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) rjthegreat10 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) rjthegreat10 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) rjthegreat10 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) rjthegreat10 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) rjthegreat10 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) rjthegreat10 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    I’d have to say pull ups are better. I’ve been doing weighted pull ups and my back has grown stupidly quick. Work your way up to weighted pull ups and then you’ll never do lat pull downs again

Humble Megalomaniac ElrondHubbard's Avatar
    ElrondHubbard has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ElrondHubbard has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ElrondHubbard has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ElrondHubbard has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ElrondHubbard has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ElrondHubbard has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ElrondHubbard has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ElrondHubbard has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ElrondHubbard has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ElrondHubbard has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ElrondHubbard has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    Originally Posted by rjthegreat10 View Post
    I’d have to say pull ups are better. I’ve been doing weighted pull ups and my back has grown stupidly quick. Work your way up to weighted pull ups and then you’ll never do lat pull downs again
    Yes and no. Pullups, particularly weighted pullups, are preferable if you can get enough reps and volume in with them. I can still see a benefit to cable pulldowns even there, though, especially if you like to do drop sets.
    “Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.”
    -Voltaire