Reply
Results 1 to 8 of 8
  1. #1
    Registered User norain444's Avatar
    Join Date: Nov 2019
    Age: 49
    Posts: 3
    Rep Power: 0
    norain444 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    norain444 is offline

    Celiac Disease Malnourished Getting Healthy

    Hey first post! Read a bunch on here and you guy are very informed and supportive so looking forward to the help. Thanks in advance!

    Went from 206 pounds to 130. Celiac disease made it impossible to absorb nutrients so I basically starved the weight off by accident.

    I'm 5'6" 30 and now 142 lbs but not healthy at all. I would like to work out but the last time I hopped on a treadmill I jogged 2.5 miles and was so sore I couldn't walk properly for two weeks frequently losing balance while walking or standing. Taking 800 mg of magnesium, a men's daily, and have a nutrition bloodwork coming back next week.

    Currently on a gluten free paleo/keto style diet. No Gluten. I've never worked out before and literally don't know where to begin since no beginners work out guides are geared toward my situation.

    Where to begin, go forward, and not hurt myself?
    Reply With Quote

  2. #2
    Registered User Heisman2's Avatar
    Join Date: Jun 2005
    Posts: 12,036
    Rep Power: 55392
    Heisman2 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Heisman2 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Heisman2 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Heisman2 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Heisman2 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Heisman2 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Heisman2 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Heisman2 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Heisman2 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Heisman2 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Heisman2 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Heisman2 is offline
    Why are you taking 800mg Mg daily? That may lead to diarrhea and make it even harder to absorb nutrients.

    Why are you doing paleo/keto? You can do glute free without going that far. You already may be deficient in micronutrients, why further limit your intake by restricting food groups unnecessarily?

    You can still follow any standard exercise program; you just have to start really slowly and build up gradually. Get back on the treadmill and walk, not jog, 1/2 mile. If that goes well, next time walk 1 mile. If that goes well, next time jog 1/4 mile. If that goes well, next time jog 1/2 mile. Etc. Build up slowly. Same thing with lifting. Pick any generic routine in the stickies, start with very low weight that is easy to do, and build up slowly. Or you could do my standard approach for beginners which is to do squat, bench, deadlift 5x5 three times a week starting with an extremely light weight that is not even slightly challenging and going up 5 pound each session until you can no longer make progress. That should mitigate soreness and give you the opportunity to work on technique.
    Reply With Quote

  3. #3
    Registered User norain444's Avatar
    Join Date: Nov 2019
    Age: 49
    Posts: 3
    Rep Power: 0
    norain444 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    norain444 is offline
    Originally Posted by Heisman2 View Post
    Why are you taking 800mg Mg daily? That may lead to diarrhea and make it even harder to absorb nutrients.

    Why are you doing paleo/keto? You can do glute free without going that far. You already may be deficient in micronutrients, why further limit your intake by restricting food groups unnecessarily?

    You can still follow any standard exercise program; you just have to start really slowly and build up gradually. Get back on the treadmill and walk, not jog, 1/2 mile. If that goes well, next time walk 1 mile. If that goes well, next time jog 1/4 mile. If that goes well, next time jog 1/2 mile. Etc. Build up slowly. Same thing with lifting. Pick any generic routine in the stickies, start with very low weight that is easy to do, and build up slowly. Or you could do my standard approach for beginners which is to do squat, bench, deadlift 5x5 three times a week starting with an extremely light weight that is not even slightly challenging and going up 5 pound each session until you can no longer make progress. That should mitigate soreness and give you the opportunity to work on technique.
    Thanks! New to nutrition as well, what nutrients am I losing through paleo/keto? I keep kosher as well.
    Reply With Quote

  4. #4
    Weak and foolish OldFartTom's Avatar
    Join Date: Jun 2017
    Posts: 4,180
    Rep Power: 23928
    OldFartTom has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) OldFartTom has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) OldFartTom has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) OldFartTom has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) OldFartTom has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) OldFartTom has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) OldFartTom has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) OldFartTom has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) OldFartTom has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) OldFartTom has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) OldFartTom has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    OldFartTom is online now
    Surely the the docs are giving you some dietary advice? If they are... follow their advice. If they haven't or if it's unclear, please go back to your doc and ask.

    Your family doc (GP) knows more infinitely about this (and your medical history) than some internet-forum crazy like me.
    Faith in Jesus first and faith in squats second.
    Then other details will start to slot themselves into place.
    Diet restarted Monday Oct 28th@76.8, Dec 7th@73.4, target 69.x Kg.
    Reply With Quote

  5. #5
    Registered User Heisman2's Avatar
    Join Date: Jun 2005
    Posts: 12,036
    Rep Power: 55392
    Heisman2 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Heisman2 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Heisman2 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Heisman2 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Heisman2 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Heisman2 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Heisman2 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Heisman2 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Heisman2 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Heisman2 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Heisman2 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Heisman2 is offline
    Originally Posted by norain444 View Post
    Thanks! New to nutrition as well, what nutrients am I losing through paleo/keto? I keep kosher as well.
    Keto excludes most carb sources, including having a significant amount of fruits/vegetables. Grains as well (less relevant with celiac but there are enough gluten free options out there that you'll be restricting somewhat). So lots of healthy options that you would be excluding. There are Kosher equivalents of most things (though it somewhat depends on how strict you are) so that won't be a big issue necessarily.
    Reply With Quote

  6. #6
    Weak and foolish OldFartTom's Avatar
    Join Date: Jun 2017
    Posts: 4,180
    Rep Power: 23928
    OldFartTom has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) OldFartTom has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) OldFartTom has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) OldFartTom has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) OldFartTom has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) OldFartTom has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) OldFartTom has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) OldFartTom has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) OldFartTom has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) OldFartTom has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) OldFartTom has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    OldFartTom is online now
    Originally Posted by Heisman2 View Post
    ... ... ... ...
    on spread
    Reply With Quote

  7. #7
    Registered User norain444's Avatar
    Join Date: Nov 2019
    Age: 49
    Posts: 3
    Rep Power: 0
    norain444 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    norain444 is offline
    Originally Posted by Heisman2 View Post
    Keto excludes most carb sources, including having a significant amount of fruits/vegetables. Grains as well (less relevant with celiac but there are enough gluten free options out there that you'll be restricting somewhat). So lots of healthy options that you would be excluding. There are Kosher equivalents of most things (though it somewhat depends on how strict you are) so that won't be a big issue necessarily.
    I eat a ton of veggies and fruits. Instead of eating gluten free substitutes for carbs or eating a ton of rice, I steam veggies spinach sweet potatoes etc.
    Reply With Quote

  8. #8
    Registered User Heisman2's Avatar
    Join Date: Jun 2005
    Posts: 12,036
    Rep Power: 55392
    Heisman2 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Heisman2 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Heisman2 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Heisman2 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Heisman2 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Heisman2 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Heisman2 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Heisman2 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Heisman2 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Heisman2 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Heisman2 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Heisman2 is offline
    Not sure how you are in keto if you are eating a lot of fruits and sweet potatoes, but if whatever you are doing is working for you then more power to you. Consider plugging in a full day of nutrition into cronometer.com to see if you are deficient in anything.
    Reply With Quote

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts