inpain234 is on a distinguished road. (+10)

Lumbar Pain from Deadlifting?

Hi.

So I was deadlifting about a week and a half ago and was tired during the workout. Me being the idiot that I am, I deadlifted 315 for 5 reps, with poor form as I simply did not have enough energy to maintain good form, where the second half of the rep would be me dragging the bar up my legs with a rounded back. I didn't feel any pops or whatever, but I do feel a dull pain in my lumbar spine and it has become more noticeable in the past 3-4 days, but I'm sure my paranoia has made it worse. I decided to go to the gym yesterday (took a few days off due to sickness) and deadlifted 135 to try and stretch my back out (did both sumo and conventional), and that seemed to have made it worse for me today. The pain isn't excruciating, but it is a little bit more painful than normal post-deadlift pain. Stretching does help temporarily, especially the prone torso twist and the cobra stretches. Also, just like with normal post-deadlift pain, arching my back exacerbates the pain, but it feels good doing so

Can anyone hazard a guess on what it could be and what my next plan of action should be? I feel like going to the doctor is not necessary yet as the pain isn't THAT bad, and its been a week and a half.

Thank you for taking the time to read this

BromanianDL has a spectacular aura about. (+250) BromanianDL has a spectacular aura about. (+250) BromanianDL has a spectacular aura about. (+250) BromanianDL has a spectacular aura about. (+250) BromanianDL has a spectacular aura about. (+250) BromanianDL has a spectacular aura about. (+250) BromanianDL has a spectacular aura about. (+250) BromanianDL has a spectacular aura about. (+250) BromanianDL has a spectacular aura about. (+250) BromanianDL has a spectacular aura about. (+250) BromanianDL has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Dr McGill is the lifter's back guru:

https://squatuniversity.com/2018/06/...ore-stability/

Take it easy for a couple weeks and do the mcgill big 3.

HeMB is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) HeMB is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) HeMB is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) HeMB is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) HeMB is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) HeMB is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) HeMB is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) HeMB is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) HeMB is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) HeMB is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) HeMB is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by BromanianDL View Post

https://squatuniversity.com/2018/06/...ore-stability/

Yeah this.

Beyond this, you cannot do anything else more, really, however your lower back is fukked up. That's from a guy with a massively herniated disc.

Unless you get a surgery lol.
    Skwat bench ded
    but still DYEL?

Originally Posted by BromanianDL View Post

Thank you for your reply
    I feel much better today than yesterday, after doing a few stretches.
    I will look into the McGill big 3

Originally Posted by HeMB View Post
    Yeah this.

Beyond this, you cannot do anything else more, really, however your lower back is fukked up. That's from a guy with a massively herniated disc.

Unless you get a surgery lol.
    Thanks for your reply.
    I don't think it's a slipped disk (thankfully), as I am not experiencing any of the symtoms that suggest I may have a slipped disk. I got my mom to massage my lumbar with ibruprofen gel an theres a specific muscle on the side of my lumbar that when pressed, I feel a good kind of strain, and I feel like that is the muscle I strained. I suspect it may be the internal oblique, or the Quadratus Lumborum, or both. Hopefully I'll recover soon. I also hope you recover too man

dazitmayn is a jewel in the rough. (+500) dazitmayn is a jewel in the rough. (+500) dazitmayn is a jewel in the rough. (+500) dazitmayn is a jewel in the rough. (+500) dazitmayn is a jewel in the rough. (+500) dazitmayn is a jewel in the rough. (+500) dazitmayn is a jewel in the rough. (+500) dazitmayn is a jewel in the rough. (+500) dazitmayn is a jewel in the rough. (+500) dazitmayn is a jewel in the rough. (+500) dazitmayn is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    i think you're likely overreacting to it pain is a complicated thing, but one thing I wouldn't do is arch your back it probably feels good but you're probably doing more harm than good

just don't sit around all day, get up, do a bit of walking, get some blood flowing into the spine, use some heat to facilitate recovery. do whatever you can that is pain free, this will only help you.

strengthen your abdominals and your lower back to shield from lower back injury when it feels better. if your pain persists for more than 2-3 weeks see a physio.

this is coming from an old man with a few back injuries. it's easy to say i screwed my back up for life but 99/100 this is not the case. overreacting to an injury itself can make it worse. mind/expectations plays a role in pain management too, look it up.

Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    The best thing to do is back off any low back work until you feel better.
    You may want to try some back raises nice and easy for reps if they don't bother you.
    This can help get some blood pumping in the low back area and possibly recover faster.
    I am only speculating and am not a doctor.
    If your issue continues to bother you see chiropractor or other medical professional.