matteomacc89 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Question Which drop sets variant would you recommend?

Hi all.

I'm facing an issue with my chest workout: due to personal preference as well time constraints, I would prefer to have only 1 "pushing" excercize in my chest workout (which I pair with the back because I enjoy working with opposite muscles rather rather than pairing with triceps) alongside with cable flies and pullover.

Now, I know that it's always best to hit the muscles from different angles and 1 excercise is probably not enough to overload the chest, however I feel that I can still do better than the usual 3-4 sets of 8-10 reps.

I tried german volume training with dumbell chest press and even though the pumping feeling was good, I felt that my triceps were reaching exhaustion way before pecs. That might be related to my poor technique, but still, I feel like it wasn't optimal.

This is why I thought about drops sets. The issue here is that when googling it I found way too many ways of doing drop sets and even tho I will definitely try a few ways before sticking to one, I wanna know from you how to do them optimally.

The variant that caught my eye on paper (haven't tested it yet) works like this:

2 sets of 8 reps (with a weight that I can lift for up to 10 times before failure)
    third and last set to failure with that same weight, then immediately drop around 25% up to 40% weight and perform another set to failure and then drop the same amount of weight once more and perform the last set to failure. Basically like this:
    8 reps
    60 secs
    8 reps
    60 secs
    failure + drop + drop

Is this anywhere near good? Again, I don't mind trying a few variants, but I need at least a limited number of options to try from.

Thanks a lot!

WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    None of those tbh. I recommend working up to 3 to 1 reps in reserve for whatever reps you wanted to do for that exercise, and then dropping 5 to 10 % for back off sets. With proper rest times. 3 to 5m. Maybe 2 for light isolation.

Or Myo reps
    2018 Log
    https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=175232661

FMH Crew, Sandbagging Mike Tuscherer Wannabee

BenMcLeodNZ is a name known to all. (+5000) BenMcLeodNZ is a name known to all. (+5000) BenMcLeodNZ is a name known to all. (+5000) BenMcLeodNZ is a name known to all. (+5000) BenMcLeodNZ is a name known to all. (+5000) BenMcLeodNZ is a name known to all. (+5000) BenMcLeodNZ is a name known to all. (+5000) BenMcLeodNZ is a name known to all. (+5000) BenMcLeodNZ is a name known to all. (+5000) BenMcLeodNZ is a name known to all. (+5000) BenMcLeodNZ is a name known to all. (+5000)
    After your final set, rest 15-20 seconds max and do a rest pause (same weight) for 2-3 extra reps. Rack it. Run around and strip 10% max, get back into position as soon as possible then try get another 4-6 reps.

I don't even know if what you're describing is drop sets or just normal training, (because 60 seconds is too long) but with way too massive drops.

matteomacc89 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    When performing a drop set, regardless of percentage or fixed amount of decrease, what range of rep should I aim to (for the drop set)? 3-4? 4-6? 8-10?
    And what about the main set? Should i stick to the 8-10 rep range to failure or should I go heavier and perform fewer reps before the drop set(s)?

WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by matteomacc89 View Post
    When performing a drop set, regardless of percentage or fixed amount of decrease, what range of rep should I aim to (for the drop set)? 3-4? 4-6? 8-10?
    And what about the main set? Should i stick to the 8-10 rep range to failure or should I go heavier and perform fewer reps before the drop set(s)?
    It depends. On the factors you said regardless of. And others
    2018 Log
    https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=175232661

FMH Crew, Sandbagging Mike Tuscherer Wannabee

BenMcLeodNZ is a name known to all. (+5000) BenMcLeodNZ is a name known to all. (+5000) BenMcLeodNZ is a name known to all. (+5000) BenMcLeodNZ is a name known to all. (+5000) BenMcLeodNZ is a name known to all. (+5000) BenMcLeodNZ is a name known to all. (+5000) BenMcLeodNZ is a name known to all. (+5000) BenMcLeodNZ is a name known to all. (+5000) BenMcLeodNZ is a name known to all. (+5000) BenMcLeodNZ is a name known to all. (+5000) BenMcLeodNZ is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by matteomacc89 View Post
    Try low rep for some exercises, high reps for the others. See what you like. It's a personal thing. There are no rules to anything bodybuilding, that's why people can do wildly different things and get the same results as other people, or do the same thing as others and get different results.