resle is on a distinguished road. (+10) resle is on a distinguished road. (+10) resle is on a distinguished road. (+10) resle is on a distinguished road. (+10) resle is on a distinguished road. (+10) resle is on a distinguished road. (+10) resle is on a distinguished road. (+10) resle is on a distinguished road. (+10) resle is on a distinguished road. (+10) resle is on a distinguished road. (+10) resle is on a distinguished road. (+10)

Post 2 years on: 6 months of boom, 6 of progress, 12 of stasis

Told my story before, but - in a nutshell: started 2 years ago as never-exercised-before skeleton-with-a-belly. 40 years old back then, 42 now.

I am truly OCD when I get into something, so I consistently worked out 4 or 5 days per week since then, began eating as clean as it gets, and in the first 6 months I transformed. In the following 6, I strengthened and bulked up a bit: too little, too slow, but I did.

But the next 12 months have been pure stasis. I tried everything: increasing supplements (up to 3g whey / kg), added creatine to that. Rotate workouts in all possible ways. Tried working out really REALLY hard. Perfected my form (according to a couple "pro"s). All useless.

Going to get my testosterone levels measured as I can't think of anything else but something wrong going on there.

Just sharing/venting
    Cheers

r.

tblodg15 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) tblodg15 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) tblodg15 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) tblodg15 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) tblodg15 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) tblodg15 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) tblodg15 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) tblodg15 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) tblodg15 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) tblodg15 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) tblodg15 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    How did you experiment with volume? Working out harder is not a way to make progress unless you were going through the motions before that.
    Bodybuilding is much more than an hour in the gym a few days a week---it's a lifestyle that changes all your perceptions about how to live, eat, and rest. It feeds the mind as much (and sometimes more so) than the body.
    ~Originally posted by ironwill2008

resle is on a distinguished road. (+10) resle is on a distinguished road. (+10) resle is on a distinguished road. (+10) resle is on a distinguished road. (+10) resle is on a distinguished road. (+10) resle is on a distinguished road. (+10) resle is on a distinguished road. (+10) resle is on a distinguished road. (+10) resle is on a distinguished road. (+10) resle is on a distinguished road. (+10) resle is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by tblodg15 View Post
    How did you experiment with volume? Working out harder is not a way to make progress unless you were going through the motions before that.
    I tried, each for 3-4 weeks, high reps with lower loads, and I tried low reps with higher loads. I tried VERY low reps with VERY high loads (90% of 1RM).

I tried a complex combination that helped for a short while - where for big muscles exercises I'd do 5 series of decreasing loads and increasing reps, while for small muscles I'd do 4 series with 75% of 1RM without a fixed number of reps, getting to exhaustion and then immediately grabbing something much lighter (say 40% of 1RM) and continue to exhaustion again for a few more reps.

tblodg15 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) tblodg15 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) tblodg15 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) tblodg15 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) tblodg15 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) tblodg15 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) tblodg15 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) tblodg15 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) tblodg15 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) tblodg15 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) tblodg15 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by resle View Post
    I tried, each for 3-4 weeks, high reps with lower loads, and I tried low reps with higher loads. I tried VERY low reps with VERY high loads (90% of 1RM).

I tried a complex combination that helped for a short while - where for big muscles exercises I'd do 5 series of decreasing loads and increasing reps, while for small muscles I'd do 4 series with 75% of 1RM without a fixed number of reps, getting to exhaustion and then immediately grabbing something much lighter (say 40% of 1RM) and continue to exhaustion again for a few more reps.
    How many work sets per week? And over how many sessions per muscle group per week?
    Bodybuilding is much more than an hour in the gym a few days a week---it's a lifestyle that changes all your perceptions about how to live, eat, and rest. It feeds the mind as much (and sometimes more so) than the body.
    ~Originally posted by ironwill2008

Originally Posted by tblodg15 View Post
    How many work sets per week? And over how many sessions per muscle group per week?

Three "template days, which I cycle.
    4 - 5 days per week.

(A)
    - Chest (3 exercises x 5 sets x 6-8 reps)
    - Biceps (2 exercises x 4 sets x 8-12 reps)
    - Abs (1 exercise x 4 sets x exhaustion)

(B)
    - Back (3 exercises x 5 sets x 6-8 reps)
    - Shoulders (2 exercises x 4 sets x 8-12 reps)
    - Abs (1 exercise x 4 sets x exhaustion)

(C)
    - Legs (3 exercises x 5 sets x 6-8 reps)
    - Abs (3 exercises x 3 sets x exhaustion)
    - Deadlifts (5 sets x 6 reps)
    - Overhead press (5 sets x 6 reps)

NearlyBigAngus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) NearlyBigAngus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) NearlyBigAngus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) NearlyBigAngus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) NearlyBigAngus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) NearlyBigAngus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) NearlyBigAngus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) NearlyBigAngus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) NearlyBigAngus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) NearlyBigAngus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) NearlyBigAngus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    How many calories are you eating?

Originally Posted by NearlyBigAngus View Post
    How many calories are you eating?
    About 2500, which apparently already puts me on a surplus because I get a perceivable increase in body fat and overall weight.

Crawling back under rock OldFartTom's Avatar
    OldFartTom has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) OldFartTom has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) OldFartTom has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) OldFartTom has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) OldFartTom has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) OldFartTom has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) OldFartTom has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) OldFartTom has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) OldFartTom has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) OldFartTom has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) OldFartTom has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Get a few sessions with an experienced coach. I don't mean some random pin-select pt, I mean an actual experienced coach.

drudixon has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) drudixon has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) drudixon has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) drudixon has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) drudixon has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) drudixon has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) drudixon has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) drudixon has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) drudixon has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) drudixon has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) drudixon has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    For only two years seems you're bouncing around a lot. You can't begin to judge if something is working until you have 2 months of consistency to measure results. I get ocd. There's always something new or exciting to try. Just be patient and minimize variables, or else you'll never learn what works for you.
    B: 285
    S: 375
    D: 555

Humble Megalomaniac ElrondHubbard's Avatar
    ElrondHubbard has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ElrondHubbard has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ElrondHubbard has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ElrondHubbard has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ElrondHubbard has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ElrondHubbard has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ElrondHubbard has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ElrondHubbard has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ElrondHubbard has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ElrondHubbard has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ElrondHubbard has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    3-4 weeks for a lifting approach which you then abandon for something else is not nearly enough consistency to show results. Sounds to me like that's your problem.
    “Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.”
    -Voltaire