desmondmcnamee is on a distinguished road. (+10)

Post Staying motivated at the gym by making it social

I've seen a lot of posts on here from people who are lacking motivation. I've been going to the gym for close to 10 years now and throughout that time I've found that my motivation dips the most when i'm on a long stretch of working out alone. I never stop going completely but my progress slows significantly and i find myself going much less. Conversely I find i'm the most motivated when I have a regular gym buddy. I know it's not for everyone there's always people who prefer to be a lone wolf at the gym and just put their headphones in and be left alone but that's definitely not me.

Maybe i'm stating the obvious but i think that's why things like CrossFit are so successful because they make training into a social event. Interested to hear what other people think.

I'm currently building a weight lifting logger that tries to promote a more social gym routine. Which I will shamelessly plug it here: hevyapp.com

Interested in other people's thoughts. What the number one thing that motivates you?

my non-edited 'before'pic etet1919's Avatar
    etet1919 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) etet1919 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) etet1919 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) etet1919 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) etet1919 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) etet1919 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) etet1919 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) etet1919 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) etet1919 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) etet1919 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) etet1919 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    ^^ In answer to your question, the number one thing that motivates me is success. It makes sense. But in order for me to perform at my very best, I have to be one of "the lone wolves." I have to walk in with the eye of the tigress, and appear indifferent to social aspects in the gym, so my focus will not be interrupted and I can accomplish my objectives. It's nothing personal, but some people (opposite of me) have misinterpreted my behavior in the past... I didn't care too much. But it did make for some interesting interactions at times lol.

I actually do admire people who can work hard and socialize at the same time. Every time I'd try to do that my adrenaline and drive would take a huge dip. That's my personality type in this setting. So, I can't say I can relate personally. But I do understand many people need (and prefer) workout partners. A social, or an extrinsic, incentive plays a larger role in their motivational levels in this instance.

But I don't know how those elite CrossFit boxes do it. Their training, in my opinion, requires so much focus, intensity, energy (mentally, as well), I don't understand how some of the bullchitting dosen't interfere, dosen't distract...Are these people naturally drawn to that "teamplayer" (and cheerleader) role when it comes to fitness? After all, it is a team sport, even though they are competing individually.

What do you mean by a 'weight lifting logger that tries to promote a more social gym routine'? I think gym members already have one these days; they spend more time on their smartphones yapping and texting, and less on their routines. They hog the machines and benches while interacting with their little friends. Just one year ago, the typical gym environment wasn't this bad... Wondering if the more "elite" training centers are similar? I'm hoping they're not.
    Fact: My first-generation uncle was a boxer who fought Sugar Ray Robinson! He also fought in the war, sacrificing the career he deeply loved, so people could have the right to freedom.

Let's show RESPECT for the POLICE and ALL FIRST RESPONDERS by helping to keep THEM SAFE AND SOUND, and thereby able to PROTECT US!

ChangeOfStyle has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ChangeOfStyle has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ChangeOfStyle has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ChangeOfStyle has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ChangeOfStyle has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ChangeOfStyle has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ChangeOfStyle has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ChangeOfStyle has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ChangeOfStyle has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ChangeOfStyle has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ChangeOfStyle has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    Originally Posted by etet1919 View Post
    ^^ In answer to your question, the number one thing that motivates me is success. It makes sense. But in order for me to perform at my very best, I have to be one of "the lone wolves." I have to walk in with the eye of the tigress, and appear indifferent to social aspects in the gym, so my focus will not be interrupted and I can accomplish my objectives. It's nothing personal, but some people (opposite of me) have misinterpreted my behavior in the past... I didn't care too much. But it did make for some interesting interactions at times lol.

I actually do admire people who can work hard and socialize at the same time. Every time I'd try to do that my adrenaline and drive would take a huge dip. That's my personality type in this setting. So, I can't say I can relate personally. But I do understand many people need (and prefer) workout partners. A social, or an extrinsic, incentive plays a larger role in their motivational levels in this instance.

But I don't know how those elite CrossFit boxes do it. Their training, in my opinion, requires so much focus, intensity, energy (mentally, as well), I don't understand how some of the bullchitting dosen't interfere, dosen't distract...Are these people naturally drawn to that "teamplayer" (and cheerleader) role when it comes to fitness? After all, it is a team sport, even though they are competing individually.

What do you mean by a 'weight lifting logger that tries to promote a more social gym routine'? I think gym members already have one these days; they spend more time on their smartphones yapping and texting, and less on their routines. They hog the machines and benches while interacting with their little friends. Just one year ago, the typical gym environment wasn't this bad... Wondering if the more "elite" training centers are similar? I'm hoping they're not.
    It's all the same chit about this everywhere. You're going to see people in the gym chatting with their mates or chatting up girls while standing on a machine or near a bench for a good 30 minutes. I'm asking myself ''What's the point of going to the gym if the only thing you're training is the muscles in your jaw''. By the time they even finish talking and get back to their workout, any sort of tension in their muscles has already gone so it's just going to absolute fuk all reasoning for working out. I currently have a specific sole reason of working out which is what's fueling my motivation to always go but the number one reasoning behind working out 6 days a week, everyday after work even like 3-5am is the fact that I'm trying to better myself physically and mentally. It takes a strong resolve to grind it day in and day out, battling through any excuse or circumstance that stops most people. That's why I hold a higher degree of respect for the people that I see at the gym every single day doing as I call it ''committing to the grind''.
    if you need someone to chat with, don't hesitate to shoot me a PM.

my non-edited 'before'pic etet1919's Avatar
    etet1919 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) etet1919 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) etet1919 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) etet1919 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) etet1919 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) etet1919 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) etet1919 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) etet1919 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) etet1919 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) etet1919 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) etet1919 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by ChangeOfStyle View Post
    It's all the same chit about this everywhere. You're going to see people in the gym chatting with their mates or chatting up girls while standing on a machine or near a bench for a good 30 minutes. I'm asking myself ''What's the point of going to the gym if the only thing you're training is the muscles in your jaw''. By the time they even finish talking and get back to their workout, any sort of tension in their muscles has already gone so it's just going to absolute fuk all reasoning for working out. I currently have a specific sole reason of working out which is what's fueling my motivation to always go but the number one reasoning behind working out 6 days a week, everyday after work even like 3-5am is the fact that I'm trying to better myself physically and mentally. It takes a strong resolve to grind it day in and day out, battling through any excuse or circumstance that stops most people. That's why I hold a higher degree of respect for the people that I see at the gym every single day doing as I call it ''committing to the grind''.
    LOL @ your description of the typical environment It's true. What I meant was before everyone had smartphones to get through workouts, socializing over training was expected. Some people would actually resent the fact that you're there to work and not be a social butterfly, especially if you're a woman. I guess they took it to mean you're stuck up lol. My attitude was always to "live, and let live."

As long as no one's hurting anyone, what do I care if they want to use it as a nightclub? Just don't hog the squat racks with all that though There's not enough to go around.

BTW, you're right about people like yourself who can commit to the grind.
    Fact: My first-generation uncle was a boxer who fought Sugar Ray Robinson! He also fought in the war, sacrificing the career he deeply loved, so people could have the right to freedom.

Let's show RESPECT for the POLICE and ALL FIRST RESPONDERS by helping to keep THEM SAFE AND SOUND, and thereby able to PROTECT US!

Humble Megalomaniac ElrondHubbard's Avatar
    ElrondHubbard has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ElrondHubbard has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ElrondHubbard has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ElrondHubbard has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ElrondHubbard has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ElrondHubbard has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ElrondHubbard has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ElrondHubbard has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ElrondHubbard has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ElrondHubbard has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ElrondHubbard has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    Lone wolf here too. I'm not opposed to the gym buddy concept, and I once used to work out with a friend and made good progress that way. There are those who really do need that social interaction, and all the best to them.

But the more I keep reading of general gym horror stories, or even minor annoyances like having to wait for others to finish using the rack, the more I'm glad that I built my own home gym, and I'm perfectly happy working out at home. I've got my music, I've got my podcasts, I've got my ideas to think about, and I have plenty to do to keep me busy. And I also have my goals and my workout log, and nobody interferes with me reaching for them.
    “Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.”
    -Voltaire

ChangeOfStyle has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ChangeOfStyle has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ChangeOfStyle has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ChangeOfStyle has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ChangeOfStyle has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ChangeOfStyle has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ChangeOfStyle has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ChangeOfStyle has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ChangeOfStyle has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ChangeOfStyle has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ChangeOfStyle has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    Originally Posted by etet1919 View Post
    LOL @ your description of the typical environment It's true. What I meant was before everyone had smartphones to get through workouts, socializing over training was expected. Some people would actually resent the fact that you're there to work and not be a social butterfly, especially if you're a woman. I guess they took it to mean you're stuck up lol. My attitude was always to "live, and let live."

As long as no one's hurting anyone, what do I care if they want to use it as a nightclub? Just don't hog the squat racks with all that though There's not enough to go around.

BTW, you're right about people like yourself who can commit to the grind.
    Haha yeah it's the general atmosphere of most gyms now. People talk rather then workout especially on machines and racks and it's fukin annoying. It's why I only prefer going after work, might be abit tired but it's better then a compacted gym with nothing but degenerates trying to pick up women instead of iron. Some are there for the right reason though but in general, it's a chitstorm.

Originally Posted by ElrondHubbard View Post
    Lone wolf here too. I'm not opposed to the gym buddy concept, and I once used to work out with a friend and made good progress that way. There are those who really do need that social interaction, and all the best to them.

But the more I keep reading of general gym horror stories, or even minor annoyances like having to wait for others to finish using the rack, the more I'm glad that I built my own home gym, and I'm perfectly happy working out at home. I've got my music, I've got my podcasts, I've got my ideas to think about, and I have plenty to do to keep me busy. And I also have my goals and my workout log, and nobody interferes with me reaching for them.

Best thing that you can ever do for yourself is having your own home gym mate; hold on to it as if it's life or death haha.
    if you need someone to chat with, don't hesitate to shoot me a PM.

Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    You need to be self motivated on your own.
    Being only motivated by a group means you will probably never do well on your own.
    It's a good thing for many people but there may be that time when you don't have the group and may feel lost trying to train on your own.
    A support group is ok average folk but if you want to go beyond it's all you IMO.

Humble Megalomaniac ElrondHubbard's Avatar
    ElrondHubbard has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ElrondHubbard has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ElrondHubbard has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ElrondHubbard has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ElrondHubbard has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ElrondHubbard has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ElrondHubbard has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ElrondHubbard has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ElrondHubbard has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ElrondHubbard has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ElrondHubbard has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    Most of the "classic" greats that I can think of tended to work out together as a group, but these were not in your typical commercial fitness gyms. They were dedicated hard-core iron gyms, filled with serious lifters and plenty of squat racks. If you need a gym buddy, that's probably the kind of place you should look, if you want to stand out from the crowd.
    “Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.”
    -Voltaire

lucigracia is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    GYM workout is not easy for everyone. Need patience and get to motivate every day for GYM.

I am going the GYM from last 2 years, At starting, it's hard for me to continue but I have focused on Motivation quotes, It gives me booster energy.

Here are the quotes that can help you to get motivated.

1.) To enjoy the glow of good health, you must exercise

2.) Take care of your body. It’s the only place you have to live.

3.) The pain you feel today will be the strength you feel tomorrow.

For more best quotes about healthy lifestyle, visit at - creativedomestic com/ healthy- lifestyle- quotes/

NewbieJD86 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    I'm quite lucky when it comes to motivation, I'm want to see results and want to better myself, even though being a hard-gainer is tough I fight through each day.

That aside, I work pretty much opposite a gym and a good 60% of the staff I work with use the gym as well. Everyone supports eachother whenever they cross paths and we have said a wide range of age differences from 16 to 40 year olds.
    Someone stole NewbieJD - I'm the 86th version.

Arsenal, Stevenage, Pittsburgh Penguins. I'm a writer that is also a walking stickman. Aiming to change my life.