kryswills is on a distinguished road. (+10)

Fat loss or muscle building.

Hi all

I've been doing Stronglifts for approx 6 months. I'm trying intermittent fasting and have also tried keto which I'd like to be more consistent with.

I've lost about 18lbs and I'm currently 263lbs. My body fat has come down from 34% to 29%. I'm 46 years old.

If like to see more muscle gains so I'm working on a new hypertrophy programme from today. My goal is 210lbs and 15% body fat next year.

My question is -

Do I continue with hypertrophy and calorie surplus with fasting and keto or go for something else with calorie deficit to focus on? 1 gram of protein per pound of body weight surely is not going to work for fat loss.

W.I.N. is just really nice. (+1000) W.I.N. is just really nice. (+1000) W.I.N. is just really nice. (+1000) W.I.N. is just really nice. (+1000) W.I.N. is just really nice. (+1000) W.I.N. is just really nice. (+1000) W.I.N. is just really nice. (+1000) W.I.N. is just really nice. (+1000) W.I.N. is just really nice. (+1000) W.I.N. is just really nice. (+1000) W.I.N. is just really nice. (+1000)
    It's ultimately up to you but at 29% bodyfat I personally wouldn't feel good with my body image and gaining more wouldn't change that. I'm cutting to at least sub 15%, ideally 12% before I start bulking. Also there are health risks with having a higher bodyfat so it's advisable to get in a healthy range on that front too, probably something under 20%.
    Brazilian Crew |<o>|
    IIFYM Crew
    Username is an Acronym Crew

What's Important Now?

sunsean is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) sunsean is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) sunsean is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) sunsean is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) sunsean is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) sunsean is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) sunsean is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) sunsean is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) sunsean is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) sunsean is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) sunsean is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by kryswills View Post
    Hi all

I've been doing Stronglifts for approx 6 months. I'm trying intermittent fasting and have also tried keto which I'd like to be more consistent with.

I've lost about 18lbs and I'm currently 263lbs. My body fat has come down from 34% to 29%. I'm 46 years old.

If like to see more muscle gains so I'm working on a new hypertrophy programme from today. My goal is 210lbs and 15% body fat next year.

My question is -

Do I continue with hypertrophy and calorie surplus with fasting and keto or go for something else with calorie deficit to focus on? 1 gram of protein per pound of body weight surely is not going to work for fat loss.
    Agree with above...really, if you're in that range of around 30% body fat it's not really a choice...you need to focus on losing weight/body fat before even thinking about eating in a surplus.

CommitmentRulz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) CommitmentRulz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) CommitmentRulz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) CommitmentRulz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) CommitmentRulz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) CommitmentRulz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) CommitmentRulz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) CommitmentRulz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) CommitmentRulz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) CommitmentRulz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) CommitmentRulz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by sunsean View Post
    ...you need to focus on losing weight/body fat before even thinking about eating in a surplus.
    Agreed, especially if OP'sAVI is really him, and current.

sunsean is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) sunsean is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) sunsean is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) sunsean is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) sunsean is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) sunsean is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) sunsean is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) sunsean is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) sunsean is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) sunsean is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) sunsean is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by CommitmentRulz View Post
    Agreed, especially if OP'sAVI is really him, and current.
    +1 I think he posted the avi after I posted...

OP congrats on the 18lb loss, keep going in that direction. And yes DO lift weights even while eating a deficit and losing weight...you can still make strength gains while losing weight if you're new to lifting.

Train hard play harder Tommy W.'s Avatar
    Tommy W. has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Tommy W. has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Tommy W. has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Tommy W. has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Tommy W. has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Tommy W. has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Tommy W. has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Tommy W. has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Tommy W. has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Tommy W. has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Tommy W. has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    At your BF amount you need to continue with concentrating on fatloss. Keep a solid deficit and train hard to maintain muscle then when you’re lean enough reverse diet and add muscle with a small surplus.
    If you don't get what you want you didn't want it bad enough