Kasim7 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Kasim7 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Kasim7 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Kasim7 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Kasim7 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Kasim7 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Kasim7 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Kasim7 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Kasim7 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)

What do you think of G9S fitness machine.

There is one of these G9S in my apartments gym along side a few dumbbells (max 12 kg each), rowing machine and a abs bench. Can a full body workout be done with these?

Crawling back under rock OldFartTom's Avatar
    OldFartTom has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) OldFartTom has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) OldFartTom has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) OldFartTom has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) OldFartTom has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) OldFartTom has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) OldFartTom has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) OldFartTom has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) OldFartTom has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) OldFartTom has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) OldFartTom has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    I *assume* you mean this... https://www.fitness-superstore.co.uk...r-station.html

It depends on your goals, if you want little bit of general fitness and "toning" (that's a trigger word that enrages forum members here ) then go for it. It's more effective than not doing anything!

If you want a more serious weights workout, with effective building and strength then the multigym and leg press machine won't cut it

Kasim7 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Kasim7 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Kasim7 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Kasim7 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Kasim7 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Kasim7 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Kasim7 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Kasim7 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Kasim7 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    Yeah that's the one. What equipment is needed for something more serious than this?

SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz
    Just a barbell and plates can be very useful

Add a bench and spotter stands and you can do squats and bench press which are 2 big mainstays of most programs. A full power cage with pullup bar is ideal. I got mine secondhand from ebay.

Kylehero is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Kylehero is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Kylehero is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Kylehero is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Kylehero is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Kylehero is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Kylehero is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Kylehero is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Kylehero is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Kylehero is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Kylehero is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    I use a bench and have reversed my bar cradles and raised to the top to allow for squats. Brb running a solid push/ pull routine from the comfort of my own garage. Best decision I’ve ever made in terms of maintaining gym/ workout consistency

I have a few kettlebells I also run during off days to incorporate shorter mobility focused sessions.
    Burn rubber, not your soul

Originally Posted by SuffolkPunch View Post
    Just a barbell and plates can be very useful

Add a bench and spotter stands and you can do squats and bench press which are 2 big mainstays of most programs. A full power cage with pullup bar is ideal. I got mine secondhand from ebay.
    Is there any advantage of bench pressing over seated bench press (the G9S thing has a seated press upto 200kg). Is squat also better than leg press

Originally Posted by Kylehero View Post
    I use a bench and have reversed my bar cradles and raised to the top to allow for squats. Brb running a solid push/ pull routine from the comfort of my own garage. Best decision I’ve ever made in terms of maintaining gym/ workout consistency

I have a few kettlebells I also run during off days to incorporate shorter mobility focused sessions.
    How much space does something like this take? I don't have a garage but could fit it to a room in my house perhaps.

SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz
    Originally Posted by Kasim7 View Post
    Is there any advantage of bench pressing over seated bench press (the G9S thing has a seated press upto 200kg). Is squat also better than leg press
    Free weights have a huge advantage that your body decides the path of the bar - rather than a machine dictating it for you. This has implications for muscle activation as well as avoiding injury or imbalances.

Back squat activates a lot more muscle than a leg press because it involves a lot of core muscles.

Free weights have a huge advantage that your body decides the path of the bar - rather than a machine dictating it for you. This has implications for muscle activation as well as avoiding injury or imbalances.

Back squat activates a lot more muscle than a leg press because it involves a lot of core muscles.
    Can you do all types of workouts with just a barbell with infinite weight and a power rack for safety then? Meaning, being able to build every muscle in the body.

I would be pretty happy with only that setup. Of course, if you have access to a full gym, it can be better but not essential to results.

I like cables for some things - but they tend to be rather minor isolation exercises. You can also buy powerlifting bands for some of these kinds of movements.

I would be pretty happy with only that setup. Of course, if you have access to a full gym, it can be better but not essential to results.

I like cables for some things - but they tend to be rather minor isolation exercises. You can also buy powerlifting bands for some of these kinds of movements.
    So I should be fully set with some bands too then. What exercises require the bands?

Edit: let me also ask since you built this already, did you put in a garage? if not did you mat the floor not to damage it while dropping the weight. Or did you buy others things alongside the rack and the barbell + plates.
    Last edited by Kasim7; 11-15-2019 at 06:27 AM.

OldFartTom has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) OldFartTom has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) OldFartTom has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) OldFartTom has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) OldFartTom has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) OldFartTom has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) OldFartTom has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) OldFartTom has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) OldFartTom has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) OldFartTom has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) OldFartTom has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Can you do all types of workouts with just a barbell with infinite weight and a power rack for safety then? Meaning, being able to build every muscle in the body.
    Yes, but when living in an apartment, certain exercises might upset people beneath you, especially if you decided to take up Olympic weightlifting

Originally Posted by OldFartTom View Post
    Yes, but when living in an apartment, certain exercises might upset people beneath you, especially if you decided to take up Olympic weightlifting
    Luckily I'm on the main floor of a 3 story building

Edit: though maybe the next door neighbor could be bothered by the noise? Nevertheless it won't be as bad as someone beneath me.

So I should be fully set with some bands too then. What exercises require the bands?

Edit: let me also ask since you built this already, did you put in a garage? if not did you mat the floor not to damage it while dropping the weight. Or did you buy others things alongside the rack and the barbell + plates.
    They can be used for (some) exercises that you would normally use cables for. Like facepulls, side laterals, band pullaparts, tricep extensions etc.

I have my equipment in a shed. I probably should have put something on the floor because it has a few holes in it now! Fortunately I'm a bit more sensible now and almost never drop the weight. You can buy rubber bumper plates too.

I have DB handles for olympic plates which as not terribly useful. I have a chain belt for pullups and an EZ curl bar. Ab wheel. Not much else needed.

They can be used for (some) exercises that you would normally use cables for. Like facepulls, side laterals, band pullaparts, tricep extensions etc.

I have my equipment in a shed. I probably should have put something on the floor because it has a few holes in it now! Fortunately I'm a bit more sensible now and almost never drop the weight. You can buy rubber bumper plates too.

I have DB handles for olympic plates which as not terribly useful. I have a chain belt for pullups and an EZ curl bar. Ab wheel. Not much else needed.
    Rubber bumper plates seem like good idea. I could glue some rubber around the plates too maybe and save a little money instead of buying a pre made one.

Something I forgot to ask yesterday, since you're working out alone, did you ever injure yourself? Or does the power rack prevent this totally?

Having a buddy can only stop certain types of injury occurring - like being trapped by a failed bench press. A power cage can help with this.

If you have to bail out of a squat, for example, a buddy probably can't help - but you can simply drop it onto the safety bars.

Like I said, it almost never happens these days. if you are sensible, you incrementally test your own limits without jumping up to a weight that is too much for you to handle.

Rubber bumper plates seem like good idea. I could glue some rubber around the plates too maybe and save a little money instead of buying a pre made one.
    It's not the same as actual bumper plates, those have the correct diameter which is helpful for deadlift (for example).

The way to save money is to get second hand stuff. A 20Kg bumper (or whatever) weighs 20Kg new and 20Kg used, so who needs new?

You may need to watch for a while then buy quickly to get the good deals.

Originally Posted by OldFartTom View Post
    It's not the same as actual bumper plates, those have the correct diameter which is helpful for deadlift (for example).

The way to save money is to get second hand stuff. A 20Kg bumper (or whatever) weighs 20Kg new and 20Kg used, so who needs new?

You may need to watch for a while then buy quickly to get the good deals.
    Holy smokes, looking at the price of the plates, and they are worth much more than what I though. Only 100kg of plates cost more than the power rack+bench. How much should I buy at first? I was thinking getting 300kg first so that I could use em forever til I grow. Why are these plates so expensive?