Distracto has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

First Bulk Nutrition

Hey,

So im currently on a bulk looking to add up as much muscle as possible. I have tried following a clean diet as much as possible and tracking my calories but i didn't notice any significant muscle gains so i then decided to start eating more calories and more varied food, including things such as more carbs (both simple & complex) and treat myself to cheat meals more often.

I did in fact notice that my body frame got bigger and can lift heavier, but obviously i also noticed that my abs are showing less and my stomach area has also increased in bodyfat %.

Since i previously was 83kg, went down to 59 kg and currently weighing in at 68 KG im getting a bit paranoid that maybe im not in the correct path and bulking incorrectly (this is my first real bulk) and your help would be greatly appreciated. Attached find some progress piks and additional information taken from the xiaomi mi scale.

As to nutrition i mostly stick to chicken, bread, lean beef, cappuccinos 😂, soups, and protein shakes. I do have a take out maybe once a week or enjoy a cocktail or two in the weekend with my GF, i try to be as flexible as possible.

i set calories to around 2.6k and prioritize protein but im not tracking just guessing.

My questions are:
    1. As per attachments, do you think im on the right track? if not what can i adjust?
    2. Since it's my first bulk, should i continue on bulking or maybe start cutting a bit?
    3. How difficult is it to transition from a bulk to a cut?
    Attached Images

AL459 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) AL459 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) AL459 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) AL459 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) AL459 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) AL459 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) AL459 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) AL459 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) AL459 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) AL459 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) AL459 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Honestly, you still look pretty lean and shredded in those pictures. Personally I would still aim to bulk for a little while if you are trying to get bigger and aim for a small 250-300 surplus to minimize fat gain but honestly, you will gain some fat since the excess calories going in. Food-wise, I always eat around 80%-20% on my bulks which means 80% nutritious foods and then 20% some junk to fill the rest of my calories in, just make sure you are calcualting your macros and you hit ur protein intake daily. As from going from a bulk to a cut, to me its hard because you are not eating as much and you lose some strength in the gym with your lifts, but again keep protein high and eat in a small deficit so you don't lose a lot of muscle. In all, I would advise you to maybe bulk for a good 4-5 months and then cut down for 1 1/2-2 months after that.

Jcart159 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Jcart159 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Jcart159 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Jcart159 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Jcart159 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Jcart159 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Jcart159 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Jcart159 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Jcart159 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Jcart159 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Jcart159 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Get more accurate with your tracking.

Know how many calories you are consuming on a daily basis so you can dial back/up as needed based upon weight loss/gain.

Make sure you consume adequate protein and fat on a daily basis.

Originally Posted by AL459 View Post
    Honestly, you still look pretty lean and shredded in those pictures. Personally I would still aim to bulk for a little while if you are trying to get bigger and aim for a small 250-300 surplus to minimize fat gain but honestly, you will gain some fat since the excess calories going in. Food-wise, I always eat around 80%-20% on my bulks which means 80% nutritious foods and then 20% some junk to fill the rest of my calories in, just make sure you are calcualting your macros and you hit ur protein intake daily. As from going from a bulk to a cut, to me its hard because you are not eating as much and you lose some strength in the gym with your lifts, but again keep protein high and eat in a small deficit so you don't lose a lot of muscle. In all, I would advise you to maybe bulk for a good 4-5 months and then cut down for 1 1/2-2 months after that.
    Hey, Thanks a lot for your reply ! i will surely take your advise ! Bring the Bulk on !!

Originally Posted by Jcart159 View Post
    Get more accurate with your tracking.

Know how many calories you are consuming on a daily basis so you can dial back/up as needed based upon weight loss/gain.

Make sure you consume adequate protein and fat on a daily basis.
    Thanks for your feedback May i ask if you use any specific tracking apps / methods? thank you.

Jcart159 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Jcart159 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Jcart159 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Jcart159 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Jcart159 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Jcart159 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Jcart159 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Jcart159 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Jcart159 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Jcart159 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Jcart159 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by Distracto View Post
    Thanks for your feedback May i ask if you use any specific tracking apps / methods? thank you.
    When I was tracking calories I started with Microsoft Excel. I would weigh my food and the calculate the nutrition based upon the food label or what I could find online if it had no label. That was the most manual method, but it helped me get a really good understanding of the basics of nutrition and what I was putting in my body.

At some point in time that became too meticulous for me and I began spending more time and energy fretting over a couple calories than I was spending on achieving my goals. Then moved to My Fitness Pal so I could be a bit more laxed.

After so many years I am not tracking anything. I know I am inline with my caloric intake goals due to movement on the scale, and know I am consuming adequate protein, fat and micronutrients due to experience and choosing predominantly whole foods to eat.

Nicksosure1 is a name known to all. (+5000) Nicksosure1 is a name known to all. (+5000) Nicksosure1 is a name known to all. (+5000) Nicksosure1 is a name known to all. (+5000) Nicksosure1 is a name known to all. (+5000) Nicksosure1 is a name known to all. (+5000) Nicksosure1 is a name known to all. (+5000) Nicksosure1 is a name known to all. (+5000) Nicksosure1 is a name known to all. (+5000) Nicksosure1 is a name known to all. (+5000) Nicksosure1 is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by Jcart159 View Post
    When I was tracking calories I started with Microsoft Excel. I would weigh my food and the calculate the nutrition based upon the food label or what I could find online if it had no label. That was the most manual method, but it helped me get a really good understanding of the basics of nutrition and what I was putting in my body.

At some point in time that became too meticulous for me and I began spending more time and energy fretting over a couple calories than I was spending on achieving my goals. Then moved to My Fitness Pal so I could be a bit more laxed.

After so many years I am not tracking anything. I know I am inline with my caloric intake goals due to movement on the scale, and know I am consuming adequate protein, fat and micronutrients due to experience and choosing predominantly whole foods to eat.
    Pretty much the path I have travelled. Still track most days of the week though. I'll get lazy about 3 days out of the week but I'm also at the point now where I'm pretty sure I know what I've had within 100-200 calories.

My fitnesspal and the cronometer both work well OP. I use the cronometer these days for no specific reason over MFP.
    Life is constant learning. Give advice about things you know. Ask questions about things you don't.