JackJasonJacob is on a distinguished road. (+10)

Asking for help from experts to get to an athletic body

Dear community,

I have a few questions I would like to ask about supplements, finding a workout buddy and most importantly, workout methods. My goal is to gain strength and have an athletic body in which I feel good. I have access to the gym with various equipment and so far, I used to go to the gym about 3 days a week and I do have the commitment to do what I want. My workout routine begins with cardio. I start with joggling for a few minutes to warm up and before doing anything else, I do basic stretching in order to prevent unnecessary injuries. Then I do a bit of running for 10 minutes, 10 minutes on a bike and another 10 minutes rowing. Before I move to weights, I need to cool down and stretch. When it comes to weights, I used to do more reps with less weight and I did not see any visible improvements over the last 6 months. Then I started pulling some heavier weights and I did start to gain muscle, however, I do not want to become bulky. I am finding inspiration from a YouTube channel called OFFICIALTHENX and Chris Heria is the person who I would like to become. So, is it better to lift lighter weights and gain less muscle, but more "pure", I would say? I have been using whey protein in the past 6 months and I am wondering whether it is even beneficial for my situation? And my last question is, how do you find workout buddies? In the gym it looks really busy and I would feel awkward to approach someone who is resting in between their reps. Thank you in advance.

bLinkMoore is a name known to all. (+5000) bLinkMoore is a name known to all. (+5000) bLinkMoore is a name known to all. (+5000) bLinkMoore is a name known to all. (+5000) bLinkMoore is a name known to all. (+5000) bLinkMoore is a name known to all. (+5000) bLinkMoore is a name known to all. (+5000) bLinkMoore is a name known to all. (+5000) bLinkMoore is a name known to all. (+5000) bLinkMoore is a name known to all. (+5000) bLinkMoore is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Check out the Stickies section for some good beginner workouts, structured programs are always better than figuring it out as you go along.

Also, generally do cardio after weights.

Seems like you also might have some misconceptions about muscle gain--you're not going to become super bulky overnight and ruin your dreams of an athletic physique, and I really have no clue what you mean by "more 'pure'" muscle...

Definitely read some of the Stickies, should clear up some confusion
    BP: 260
    SQ: 370
    DL: 475

Zjunky is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Zjunky is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Zjunky is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Zjunky is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Zjunky is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Zjunky is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Zjunky is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Zjunky is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Zjunky is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Zjunky is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Zjunky is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by JackJasonJacob View Post
    Dear community,

I have a few questions I would like to ask about supplements, finding a workout buddy and most importantly, workout methods. My goal is to gain strength and have an athletic body in which I feel good. I have access to the gym with various equipment and so far, I used to go to the gym about 3 days a week and I do have the commitment to do what I want. My workout routine begins with cardio. I start with joggling for a few minutes to warm up and before doing anything else, I do basic stretching in order to prevent unnecessary injuries. Then I do a bit of running for 10 minutes, 10 minutes on a bike and another 10 minutes rowing. Before I move to weights, I need to cool down and stretch. When it comes to weights, I used to do more reps with less weight and I did not see any visible improvements over the last 6 months. Then I started pulling some heavier weights and I did start to gain muscle, however, I do not want to become bulky. I am finding inspiration from a YouTube channel called OFFICIALTHENX and Chris Heria is the person who I would like to become. So, is it better to lift lighter weights and gain less muscle, but more "pure", I would say? I have been using whey protein in the past 6 months and I am wondering whether it is even beneficial for my situation? And my last question is, how do you find workout buddies? In the gym it looks really busy and I would feel awkward to approach someone who is resting in between their reps. Thank you in advance.
    First, you need to get organized. A huge block of text is not going to be conducive to getting answer if you bury the questions. Spell out questions clearly so people can address them, like so:

Q: So, is it better to lift lighter weights and gain less muscle, but more "pure", I would say?
    A: Depends. What are your goals? Figure out the big thing you want to work on first. Go to the appropriate page here and read the "Stickies." That could be on nutrition, training, injuries, etc. The ask specific questions if you need help. People are busy. They are not going to answer a question that takes 10 minutes to figure out what you are asking.

Q: I have been using whey protein in the past 6 months and I am wondering whether it is even beneficial for my situation?
    A: Again, it depends. Spell out what your "situation" is. Supplements are useful when your diet falls short on certain things. Without knowing more, we can't answer your question. Read the nutrition stickies. Then, if you still need answers, ask a specific question with enough background information for knowledgeable people to evaluate and answer.

Q: And my last question is, how do you find workout buddies?
    This one is the easiest to answer, but may be the hardest to accomplish. There are 2 options. Option 1 - get a friend to go to the gym with you. Option 2 - Make a friend out of someone you see at the gym who seems to be doing similar things. In theory, simple; In execution, not so much.

Good luck.

air2fakie is just really nice. (+1000) air2fakie is just really nice. (+1000) air2fakie is just really nice. (+1000) air2fakie is just really nice. (+1000) air2fakie is just really nice. (+1000) air2fakie is just really nice. (+1000) air2fakie is just really nice. (+1000) air2fakie is just really nice. (+1000) air2fakie is just really nice. (+1000) air2fakie is just really nice. (+1000) air2fakie is just really nice. (+1000)
    Using Zj's helpful summary of questions:

- Muscle is muscle. If by pure/bulky muscle you mean you don't want to gain fat and muscle together, that's more of a diet issue. You can gain muscle both by lighter weights for more reps, or heavier weights for less reps. First, worry about gaining muscle before you worry about gaining too much muscle. Not really something most ppl would be concerned about BTW.

- If you get enough protein from regular food than it's prob not beneficial. If you don't, then it is. Hard to say w/out knowing your diet or how much whey protein you're taking.

- Don't go to the gym trying to find workout buddies, it's creepy. If you want a workout buddy but don't have a friend you can ask, then get to know ppl who work out at the same time as you slowly and naturally - and if there's a legit opening in a conversation after about a year or more of grooming them, ask. Workout buddy is 2nd base in the bro-bro relationship so proceed accordingly. Best option in your situation: do your own research on exercises and motivate yourself so you don't need to depend on someone else.

Han shot first! TolerantLactose's Avatar
    TolerantLactose is just really nice. (+1000) TolerantLactose is just really nice. (+1000) TolerantLactose is just really nice. (+1000) TolerantLactose is just really nice. (+1000) TolerantLactose is just really nice. (+1000) TolerantLactose is just really nice. (+1000) TolerantLactose is just really nice. (+1000) TolerantLactose is just really nice. (+1000) TolerantLactose is just really nice. (+1000) TolerantLactose is just really nice. (+1000) TolerantLactose is just really nice. (+1000)
    I am finding inspiration from a YouTube channel called OFFICIALTHENX and Chris Heria is the person who I would like to become.
    He's called Chris Hernia in some circles.
    I can tell time. Time cannot tell me.

Formerly LactoseTolerant. I'm not very imaginative.

Originally Posted by TolerantLactose View Post
    He's called Chris Hernia in some circles.
    Hernia? Why?? I do not get this joke.
    Last edited by JackJasonJacob; 11-16-2019 at 08:28 AM.

Originally Posted by air2fakie View Post
    Muscle is muscle. If by pure/bulky muscle you mean you don't want to gain fat and muscle together, that's more of a diet issue.
    And what is the difference between the two types of fibres (Type 1: slow twitch and Type 2: fast twitch) which get broken down depending on whether you lift lighter weights for more time or the maximum you can lift for as much you can? Is that just some bs which people spread around when saying that you should be lifting heavier weights? And thank you for your view on my situation.

12 pack > 6 pack PurmaBulker1984's Avatar
    PurmaBulker1984 is just really nice. (+1000) PurmaBulker1984 is just really nice. (+1000) PurmaBulker1984 is just really nice. (+1000) PurmaBulker1984 is just really nice. (+1000) PurmaBulker1984 is just really nice. (+1000) PurmaBulker1984 is just really nice. (+1000) PurmaBulker1984 is just really nice. (+1000) PurmaBulker1984 is just really nice. (+1000) PurmaBulker1984 is just really nice. (+1000) PurmaBulker1984 is just really nice. (+1000) PurmaBulker1984 is just really nice. (+1000)
    Using Zj's helpful summary of questions:
    - Don't go to the gym trying to find workout buddies, it's creepy. If you want a workout buddy but don't have a friend you can ask, then get to know ppl who work out at the same time as you slowly and naturally - and if there's a legit opening in a conversation after about a year or more of grooming them, ask. Workout buddy is 2nd base in the bro-bro relationship so proceed accordingly. Best option in your situation: do your own research on exercises and motivate yourself so you don't need to depend on someone else.
    Personally I'd be more comfortable going to second base than working out with a stranger. If you need a spotter just ask. Everyone is very helpful at the gym. If you want a buddy that shows up at the same time, and does the exact same work out, maybe wearing matching outfits. That's going to be tough. I workout alone but shoot the **** with the regulars during my workout. Start there first IMO.
    160 lbs and jacked is about as impressive as D cups on a 300lb woman

air2fakie is just really nice. (+1000) air2fakie is just really nice. (+1000) air2fakie is just really nice. (+1000) air2fakie is just really nice. (+1000) air2fakie is just really nice. (+1000) air2fakie is just really nice. (+1000) air2fakie is just really nice. (+1000) air2fakie is just really nice. (+1000) air2fakie is just really nice. (+1000) air2fakie is just really nice. (+1000) air2fakie is just really nice. (+1000)
    And what is the difference between the two types of fibres (Type 1: slow twitch and Type 2: fast twitch) which get broken down depending on whether you lift lighter weights for more time or the maximum you can lift for as much you can? Is that just some bs which people spread around when saying that you should be lifting heavier weights? And thank you for your view on my situation.
    You have it slightly off but it's not BS - you just don't need to be concerned about it at this point. You can always scale back on your training if you inadvertently become the hulk. Or you can just work out and lower your cal intake and there'll be a limit to how much muscle can put on.

My point is you can just work out for now and get in better shape, then worry about becoming a muscular behemoth when it happens. It's pretty easy to undo.

Q: If you want to be Chris Hernia why not just get some tattoos and follow his YT workout videos and general advice? He does a lot of bodyweight stuff w/ some weights mixed in no? I assume following his routines would be a better way to achieve his exact physique.

Originally Posted by PurmaBulker1984 View Post
    Personally I'd be more comfortable going to second base than working out with a stranger. If you need a spotter just ask. Everyone is very helpful at the gym. If you want a buddy that shows up at the same time, and does the exact same work out, maybe wearing matching outfits. That's going to be tough. I workout alone but shoot the **** with the regulars during my workout. Start there first IMO.
    Some ppl like having a workout partner but personally I agree, it's inconvenient to match up exercises, volume, schedules, desire, and color of unitards. Plus you have to switch plates back and forth each set. If you don't need any extra motivation to show up at the gym, a workout buddy is less efficient IMO.

Q: If you want to be Chris Hernia why not just get some tattoos and follow his YT workout videos and general advice? He does a lot of bodyweight stuff w/ some weights mixed in no? I assume following his routines would be a better way to achieve his exact physique.
    I use Chris Heria as my inspiration and I would say, his workouts suit me well. I am planning to do more exercises with body weight and follow his advice. As you said, first, get in better shape and then I might get back here or look somewhere else for any advice if necessary.

I am not a big fan of tattoos, so I am not planning on getting any soon, however, his body shape looks good imo. I am assuming that depends a little bit on genetics.

But can anyone finally explain to me why people refer to him as Chris Hernia and not Heria?

And for people advising me to find other ways to motivate myself than doing it for someone else, I do not need a buddy to go workout with as I feel like I am motivated well enough. I used to go to the gym on my own for the past 6 months and I was just wondering how do people come together when they go to the gym, but it looks like people prefer to mind their own business. I guess that is the better way and I personally hate people who are on chatting around or on their phones and taking up space.

I was just wondering how do people come together when they go to the gym, but it looks like people prefer to mind their own business. I guess that is the better way and I personally hate people who are on chatting around or on their phones and taking up space.
    Unless you're at a hard core gym you'll prob notice the more serious ppl working out doing it alone, and at most, will have a couple of words in between sets with ppl they see there every day. But there'll also be other ppl who use gym as socializing time.

Ppl you see working out together tend to know each other from outside the gym, and it's a way to get some face time while also working out. I was just trying to caution you based on your original post not to try to solicit a workout buddy at the gym unless it's a long-term grooming process, since it will come across diff than you may anticipate.

Oleg1975K is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) Oleg1975K is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) Oleg1975K is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) Oleg1975K is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) Oleg1975K is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) Oleg1975K is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) Oleg1975K is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) Oleg1975K is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) Oleg1975K is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) Oleg1975K is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) Oleg1975K is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank)
    Jacob, what is your main goal from training?
    Look beautiful, or become a gymnast, like this Hernia?
    If you want to become a gymnast, then listen to his advice.
    If you just want to become muscular, then there is a shorter way for this - bodybuilding training.
    bench press 165 kgx1, 125 kgx13, 100 kgх24
    overhead press 100 kgx1, 82,5 kg 4 sets х 5 reps
    deadlift 230 kgx1, 200 kgx4, 190 kg 3 sets x 5 reps
    raw squat 180 kgx1, 150 kg 5x5
    chin-ups +25 kg x10 reps

Originally Posted by Oleg1975K View Post
    Jacob, what is your main goal from training?
    Look beautiful, or become a gymnast, like this Hernia?
    If you want to become a gymnast, then listen to his advice.
    If you just want to become muscular, then there is a shorter way for this - bodybuilding training.
    Simply, get my body in good shape and build stamina. Live a healthy life, care about my body and I believe, everyone should do so.

Oleg1975K is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) Oleg1975K is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) Oleg1975K is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) Oleg1975K is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) Oleg1975K is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) Oleg1975K is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) Oleg1975K is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) Oleg1975K is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) Oleg1975K is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) Oleg1975K is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) Oleg1975K is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank)
    Simply, get my body in good shape and build stamina. Live a healthy life, care about my body and I believe, everyone should do so.
    Conventional bodybuilding training + a reasonable amount of low-intensity cardio for these purposes is ideal.
    And, by the way, within the framework of BB training, calisthenics can also be used.
    bench press 165 kgx1, 125 kgx13, 100 kgх24
    overhead press 100 kgx1, 82,5 kg 4 sets х 5 reps
    deadlift 230 kgx1, 200 kgx4, 190 kg 3 sets x 5 reps
    raw squat 180 kgx1, 150 kg 5x5
    chin-ups +25 kg x10 reps