SkiGains SkiGains SkiGains SkiGains SkiGains SkiGains SkiGains SkiGains SkiGains SkiGains SkiGains

Thoughts on 2018+ Mustang GT?

I've never been into Mustangs but got one as a rental by chance and it was a 2019 GT Premium and I loved everything about it.

It was auto, stripes, sounded amazing. Sucked on gas but was expected from a 5.0

I have 0 idea about Mustangs. I've looked at used ones from 2015 but I don't like the gauge cluster (I liked the electronic ones the 2018+ have).

Right now, slightly used ones are still going for around $40k (Canadian) and a brand new one is about $47k.

For those that know a lot about these cars, is it worth to wait a year or two for prices to come down to the $35k range? Is this model due for a major upgrade? Any issues these newer ones have?

I was thinking of saving up and getting something like an M4 down the line but I think I'd rather save $30k and get something like this and not be worried about regular maintenance costing an arm and a leg.

Any advice helps. Thanks

The one I got looked like this but in Red (I think this is the premium version?)

Registered User ralphlaurenbrah's Avatar
    ralphlaurenbrah is just really nice. (+1000) ralphlaurenbrah is just really nice. (+1000) ralphlaurenbrah is just really nice. (+1000) ralphlaurenbrah is just really nice. (+1000) ralphlaurenbrah is just really nice. (+1000) ralphlaurenbrah is just really nice. (+1000) ralphlaurenbrah is just really nice. (+1000) ralphlaurenbrah is just really nice. (+1000) ralphlaurenbrah is just really nice. (+1000) ralphlaurenbrah is just really nice. (+1000) ralphlaurenbrah is just really nice. (+1000)
    It’s always worth buying used brah. Also the new mustang has great reviews. I’d just wait 2 years and pick one up. Meanwhile your money will have gained 10% interest compounded in the stock market sp500 index and the car will have dropped 30% of its value. You basically save 50% if you look at it like that
    +Positive crew+

DizzySmalls has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DizzySmalls has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DizzySmalls has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DizzySmalls has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DizzySmalls has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DizzySmalls has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DizzySmalls has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DizzySmalls has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DizzySmalls has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DizzySmalls has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DizzySmalls has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    I bought a brand new PP1 for 35k pretax. 20% off MSRP

EDIT: Chit you are Canadian

1QWIK7 is a name known to all. (+5000) 1QWIK7 is a name known to all. (+5000) 1QWIK7 is a name known to all. (+5000) 1QWIK7 is a name known to all. (+5000) 1QWIK7 is a name known to all. (+5000) 1QWIK7 is a name known to all. (+5000) 1QWIK7 is a name known to all. (+5000) 1QWIK7 is a name known to all. (+5000) 1QWIK7 is a name known to all. (+5000) 1QWIK7 is a name known to all. (+5000) 1QWIK7 is a name known to all. (+5000)
    I was going to get an 18+ GT with the 10 speed auto. The auto is amazing, love the way the new mustangs look, but the infamous bbq engine tick scared me off. Definitely look into it before you buy it. It's a problem for some, not for most. Some people aren't bothered by it, some people are. Some people have the tick but said it doesn't show any problems besides noise. Oil pressure is good, engine is strong etc. Then some people say after the bbq tick, they blow their engine.

Do your research. Even though the car will come with a warranty, it is a pain to go through the process of getting a new engine etc. Plus dealing with possibly proving to ford the engine died because of the infamous bbq tick and not you racing it etc.

I leased a 2020 charger scat pack instead. That way i have a brand new car. I can break the engine in myself, and start fresh. I pick it up next spring. April'ish dealer said.
    Schooling everyone that has to do with automotive one brah at a time. It's tiring but someone gotta do it lol

I have a manual car but auto IS WAY BETTER THESE DAYS. ACCEPT THE FACTS BRAHS! LOL

Halfway has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Halfway has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Halfway has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Halfway has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Halfway has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Halfway has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Halfway has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Halfway has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Halfway has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Halfway has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Halfway has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    imo don't get one without pp1 and magneride. 10 speed obviously, if you want a manual you should get a used 350 instead.

I didn't buy used or from a lot because I didn't want a dealership fukking up my paint and interior and letting retards hammer it every day, plus velocity blue /301a/magneride/pp1 is a very hard combo to find used, so I did a custom order. Probably overpaid TBH, but it was a special order built in 8 weeks and at the time the build lists were like 5 months long.

the only issue is the absolute chit hard plastic they use in the interior which scratches and chips if you even sneeze on it, and rattles like chit because the pieces uses plastic clips - wouldn't be a problem but every time I take it a fukking dealer they do more damage and I'm in a never ending cycle that lead to a lawsuit

If you want the best ratio of fast car for cheap a 5.0 with a supercharger is a no brainer.

1QWIK7 is a name known to all. (+5000) 1QWIK7 is a name known to all. (+5000) 1QWIK7 is a name known to all. (+5000) 1QWIK7 is a name known to all. (+5000) 1QWIK7 is a name known to all. (+5000) 1QWIK7 is a name known to all. (+5000) 1QWIK7 is a name known to all. (+5000) 1QWIK7 is a name known to all. (+5000) 1QWIK7 is a name known to all. (+5000) 1QWIK7 is a name known to all. (+5000) 1QWIK7 is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by Halfway View Post
    imo don't get one without pp1 and magneride. 10 speed obviously, if you want a manual you should get a used 350 instead.

I didn't buy used or from a lot because I didn't want a dealership fukking up my paint and interior and letting retards hammer it every day, plus velocity blue /301a/magneride/pp1 is a very hard combo to find used, so I did a custom order. Probably overpaid TBH, but it was a special order built in 8 weeks and at the time the build lists were like 5 months long.

the only issue is the absolute chit hard plastic they use in the interior which scratches and chips if you even sneeze on it, and rattles like chit because the pieces uses plastic clips - wouldn't be a problem but every time I take it a fukking dealer they do more damage and I'm in a never ending cycle that lead to a lawsuit

If you want the best ratio of fast car for cheap a 5.0 with a supercharger is a no brainer.
    Yeah i forgot about the interior rattles. That chit was annoying lol

What do you think about that dealer, i think in PA? That offers supercharged GT's, auto or manual, for 40k? I know it's just power with stock everything else like brakes, suspension. But if they warranty their 700-800hp package, for 40k, is that really legit?
    Schooling everyone that has to do with automotive one brah at a time. It's tiring but someone gotta do it lol

I have a manual car but auto IS WAY BETTER THESE DAYS. ACCEPT THE FACTS BRAHS! LOL

SkiGains SkiGains SkiGains SkiGains SkiGains SkiGains SkiGains SkiGains SkiGains SkiGains SkiGains
    Originally Posted by 1QWIK7 View Post
    I was going to get an 18+ GT with the 10 speed auto. The auto is amazing, love the way the new mustangs look, but the infamous bbq engine tick scared me off. Definitely look into it before you buy it. It's a problem for some, not for most. Some people aren't bothered by it, some people are. Some people have the tick but said it doesn't show any problems besides noise. Oil pressure is good, engine is strong etc. Then some people say after the bbq tick, they blow their engine.

Do your research. Even though the car will come with a warranty, it is a pain to go through the process of getting a new engine etc. Plus dealing with possibly proving to ford the engine died because of the infamous bbq tick and not you racing it etc.

I leased a 2020 charger scat pack instead. That way i have a brand new car. I can break the engine in myself, and start fresh. I pick it up next spring. April'ish dealer said.

Thanks, had no idea about the bbq tick till you mentioned it.

Im starting to lean towards just paying the extra $10k and buying a brand new one. I don't know anymore. Anyone know what kind of discount I can get off new? When I went to the dealer it sounded like they wouldn't do more than $2k-$3k

Halfway has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Halfway has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Halfway has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Halfway has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Halfway has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Halfway has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Halfway has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Halfway has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Halfway has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Halfway has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Halfway has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)

What do you think about that dealer, i think in PA? That offers supercharged GT's, auto or manual, for 40k? I know it's just power with stock everything else like brakes, suspension. But if they warranty their 700-800hp package, for 40k, is that really legit?
    lebanon? I mean it's a good deal but none of those 'warranties' are worth the paper they're printed on, plus imagine how terrifying it would be driving a poverty base model with tiny brakes, basic suspension, 235 all season tires with an 800 HP twin turbo setup.

Hopefully they upsell their customers on better parts with those kits lol

OP no idea what deals are like in Canada sorry

yabbayabba is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) yabbayabba is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) yabbayabba is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) yabbayabba is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) yabbayabba is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) yabbayabba is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) yabbayabba is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) yabbayabba is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) yabbayabba is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) yabbayabba is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) yabbayabba is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    The GT350 is not a very good daily. You get about 10k miles from the tires and the Voodoo drinks oil like I drink beer. Older S550 GT350's seem to have developed a reputation for seizing up if they are beat on with any regularity. I'd still stick to the base GT if you want the manual route. The shifter fork wasn't really an issue unless you drive like a retard dumping the clutch and trying to power shift. Certainly agree with the cheap interior though. What's sadder is a $100k GT500 is going to have the same horrible interior. Since my GT isn't a Premium it still has the analog dash cluster which also helps to make it feel dated.

Originally Posted by SkiGains View Post
    Im starting to lean towards just paying the extra $10k and buying a brand new one. I don't know anymore. Anyone know what kind of discount I can get off new? When I went to the dealer it sounded like they wouldn't do more than $2k-$3k
    You should be able to get quite a bit more then that off. Read up on what dealer holdback is (https://www.car-buying-strategies.co...ng-prices.html) and start your price from there. Ford at least even has holdback on accessories (like PP1 and Magneride) so the more optioned your car is the more you can get taken off. Also remember, it's just a Mustang, there are a thousand others on the road so it isn't a unique or special snowflake. If a dealer doesn't want to work with you try another one. Somebody else needs to move a car this month.

I can kick the rear end lose at will with the manual on a stock 5.0 PP1 Magneride GT. 700 horse on a base GT is a death rocket.

Tamorlane has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Tamorlane has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Tamorlane has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Tamorlane has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Tamorlane has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Tamorlane has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Tamorlane has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Tamorlane has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Tamorlane has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Tamorlane has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Tamorlane has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Mustangs are well-built and designed cars imo. I've owned two over the years and they have been quite reliable, giving me the impression that this platform has been tuned to be reliable for the 50+ years it's been in production. Some other cars have a long history like the Civic and Golf but imo the Mustangs are more reliable, and living in North America the parts cheaper.

The new mustangs have an independent rear suspension for the first time in non-cobra models, which is nice compared to the live rear axle which would make you feel like the back end could swing out when hitting a bump at speeds. I haven't driven a newer generation yet but i've heard that is largely eliminated with the IRS.

From reviews i've read and watched online the car is fairly solid, you know it's good when the complaints are about gaps in a panel or something minor like that.

Another thing I found odd is that Mustangs usually change their exterior design every 4 years (not always, ie. fox bodies) but 94-98 was unique, then 99-04 (ok 5), 05-09, 10-14, 15-current and 2020 looks the same.

You could also consider the competition, at that price you could get a Camaro (i'd get the mustang), Challenger, WRX STI, Civic Type R, Focus RS, Golf R, etc. But if you're looking for a mustang that's all there is to it. Not much can compare to the growl of the v8 and play of the RWD. 450+ hp and tq is pretty nuts for a road.

Reach for your ankles Mundungus's Avatar
    Mundungus is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Mundungus is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Mundungus is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Mundungus is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Mundungus is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Mundungus is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Mundungus is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Mundungus is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Mundungus is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Mundungus is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Mundungus is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    2018 PP1 GT 10 speed here, just about to hit 12k miles. I've had no problems and saved about $4k by finding a low mileage used one over the new one I was looking at. It also already had a Corsa cat-back so that was a $1500 bonus as well. I've seen some with problems with rattling around 2k rpms but I believe the bbq tick is just the DI at low rpms. I have a light noise when its cold but it clears up when warm and doesn't come back. It runs great so I have no worries. Plus I won't be tuning it for 3+ years so I assume it'll grenade by then if there's a problem. Just a few cosmetic mods for now.

Attached Images
    *SCC*
    *Texas Crew*
    *Ginger Crew*
    *Dad Crew*

lebanon? I mean it's a good deal but none of those 'warranties' are worth the paper they're printed on, plus imagine how terrifying it would be driving a poverty base model with tiny brakes, basic suspension, 235 all season tires with an 800 HP twin turbo setup.

Hopefully they upsell their customers on better parts with those kits lol

OP no idea what deals are like in Canada sorry
    lol yeah. So those are the non mag-ride GT's? The tires aren't an issue as i'm hoping whoever buys those modified cars will change for a better tire anyway. But mag ride is a MUST. Anyone who never driven a car with that, should.

DizzySmalls has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DizzySmalls has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DizzySmalls has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DizzySmalls has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DizzySmalls has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DizzySmalls has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DizzySmalls has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DizzySmalls has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DizzySmalls has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DizzySmalls has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DizzySmalls has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Would they tax the fk out of you if you were to buy one in America?

swoleyo is a name known to all. (+5000) swoleyo is a name known to all. (+5000) swoleyo is a name known to all. (+5000) swoleyo is a name known to all. (+5000) swoleyo is a name known to all. (+5000) swoleyo is a name known to all. (+5000) swoleyo is a name known to all. (+5000) swoleyo is a name known to all. (+5000) swoleyo is a name known to all. (+5000) swoleyo is a name known to all. (+5000) swoleyo is a name known to all. (+5000)

They seriously refuse warrenty work because of "racing" it? As long as the RPM stays within the specified operating range for the engine they should be forced to warranty it.

You sell a car with 500hp and warranty it. That engine better be able to produce 500hp continuously without blowing up.
    30+ Smash and Dash Crew
    Ron Paul Crew
    Yellow Fever Crew
    Disregard wimminz acquire glow Crew
    Mod neg Cry-Baby Crew
    Blow girlfriend off to play WoW Crew

Originally Posted by swoleyo View Post
    They seriously refuse warrenty work because of "racing" it? As long as the RPM stays within the specified operating range for the engine they should be forced to warranty it.

You sell a car with 500hp and warranty it. That engine better be able to produce 500hp continuously without blowing up.
    Dealers have money for lawyers. Most car buyers do not. So yes even if they're not being honest, they'll of course try to argue against doing anything warranty work.

Some dealers succeed, some don't. But they try.

Jax05 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Jax05 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Jax05 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Jax05 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Jax05 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Jax05 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Jax05 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Jax05 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Jax05 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Jax05 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Jax05 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    My only regret with my '15 GT is opting for a premium instead of PP.
    Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit softly.