Thread: Squat form help

CoryJWil is on a distinguished road. (+10)

Squat form help

I have recently just started squatting. I tried to research online but otherwise I am self taught. I decided to record myself with light weights. I think I have some problems with my form. Does it look like I have some butt wink? How would I go about fixing it? Is it ok to still go light but with more reps with butt wink or do I need to stop completely? Are there any other form fixes anyone would recommend?

i.imgur. com/N5ugI4X.mp4

Just delete the space between the "imgur." and the "com"

Han shot first! TolerantLactose's Avatar
    TolerantLactose is just really nice. (+1000) TolerantLactose is just really nice. (+1000) TolerantLactose is just really nice. (+1000) TolerantLactose is just really nice. (+1000) TolerantLactose is just really nice. (+1000) TolerantLactose is just really nice. (+1000) TolerantLactose is just really nice. (+1000) TolerantLactose is just really nice. (+1000) TolerantLactose is just really nice. (+1000) TolerantLactose is just really nice. (+1000) TolerantLactose is just really nice. (+1000)
    Yes, there's buttwink but it's a fairly easy fix. Watch your chest. You're trying to keep it vertical and you wind up extending your back on the way down. The buttwink is the consequence of that. On the way down, keep your back neutral and braced. Let your chest tilt forward and down.
    I can tell time. Time cannot tell me.

Formerly LactoseTolerant. I'm not very imaginative.

BromanianDL has a spectacular aura about. (+250) BromanianDL has a spectacular aura about. (+250) BromanianDL has a spectacular aura about. (+250) BromanianDL has a spectacular aura about. (+250) BromanianDL has a spectacular aura about. (+250) BromanianDL has a spectacular aura about. (+250) BromanianDL has a spectacular aura about. (+250) BromanianDL has a spectacular aura about. (+250) BromanianDL has a spectacular aura about. (+250) BromanianDL has a spectacular aura about. (+250) BromanianDL has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    The butt wink might be caused by a lack of flexibility, maybe don't go so low until you do some squat mobility work. There is another problem that is harder to fix. Even with squat shoes on, you are off balance. I can see your heels come up on the first couple reps. The bar path is not straight up and down, the bar moves slightly forward pulling you off balance.

WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by BromanianDL View Post
    The butt wink might be caused by a lack of flexibility, maybe don't go so low until you do some squat mobility work. There is another problem that is harder to fix. Even with squat shoes on, you are off balance. I can see your heels come up on the first couple reps. The bar path is not straight up and down, the bar moves slightly forward pulling you off balance.
    Nothing to do with flexibility, he's starting hyperextended and squatting too upright (chest too up). That causes him to need to shift back to the position he should be in out of the hole.

Op, learn the valsalva manuevour, brace down, maintain a neutral torso allowing some forward lean, set hips back slightly to accommodate and then sit down.
    2018 Log
    https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=175232661

FMH Crew, Sandbagging Mike Tuscherer Wannabee

Registered User ReapingTheField's Avatar
    ReapingTheField has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ReapingTheField has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ReapingTheField has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ReapingTheField has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ReapingTheField has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ReapingTheField has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ReapingTheField has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ReapingTheField has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ReapingTheField has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ReapingTheField has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ReapingTheField has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by WolfRose7 View Post
    Nothing to do with flexibility, he's starting hyperextended and squatting too upright (chest too up). That causes him to need to shift back to the position he should be in out of the hole.

Op, learn the valsalva manuevour, brace down, maintain a neutral torso allowing some forward lean, set hips back slightly to accommodate and then sit down.

Just tried this, worked like a charm

My poverty legs thank you.

Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Work on the "face the wall squat"drill and get it perfected.
    Move on to a goblet squat and perfect it.
    Then to barbell front squat and perfect it.
    Then you may back squat.
    You can search all of these for explanations.