12rep has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) 12rep has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) 12rep has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) 12rep has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) 12rep has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) 12rep has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) 12rep has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) 12rep has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) 12rep has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) 12rep has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) 12rep has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)

Question Haven't gained a single pound

I'm 16 and I've been working our for about 4 months straight . I know my diet isnt perfect and I dont have the optimal calorie surplus but is it really impossible to not gain a single pound of muscle without a surplus? I've noticed bigger muscles and good strength gains (gained about 40 pounds on bench , 90 lbs on ab crunches etc) , and yet I stay at 138. Is it really just my form and mental improving and nothing else ? In that case is it obsolete to even use protein when trying to gain muscle unless you have a surplus because you wont gain muscle anyways? Clearly I need to simplify my meal plan to just 3 or 4 diff foods , because I find myself having to go buy more and more of something because it keeps running out then I have to wait a week to go get more.
    I dont think I'm getting bigger which is one of my main goals , I think my muscles just popping out more and getting toned.

rhadam has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) rhadam has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) rhadam has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) rhadam has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) rhadam has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) rhadam has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) rhadam has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) rhadam has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) rhadam has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) rhadam has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) rhadam has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    So eat more.
    USAF
    LEO

Operation Inherent Resolve ~ 2019

WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Buy big jugs of milk, multiple loaves of bread, family packs of cheese, kgs of peanut butter, and make big pasta dishes.

Sorted
    2018 Log
    https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=175232661

FMH Crew, Sandbagging Mike Tuscherer Wannabee

Harsh Truth Distributor xsquid99's Avatar
    xsquid99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) xsquid99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) xsquid99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) xsquid99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) xsquid99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) xsquid99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) xsquid99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) xsquid99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) xsquid99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) xsquid99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) xsquid99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by rhadam View Post
    So eat more.
    ^^^ This...

Yes, you need to eat more and be in a surplus. Eat more calorie dense food like peanut butter, nuts, eggs, bread/bagels, cheese, steak, avocados, etc. You're a growing teen, feed that body if you want it to grow.
    All it takes is consistency, effort, proper nutrition, good programming, and TIME.

faithbrah is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) faithbrah is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) faithbrah is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) faithbrah is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) faithbrah is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) faithbrah is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) faithbrah is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) faithbrah is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) faithbrah is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) faithbrah is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) faithbrah is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    well you can progress without a surplus as a beginner. at some point you'll have to stay in a surplus to keep progressing though
    munchies on a cut is the true test of discipline crew

1MANU is a name known to all. (+5000) 1MANU is a name known to all. (+5000) 1MANU is a name known to all. (+5000) 1MANU is a name known to all. (+5000) 1MANU is a name known to all. (+5000) 1MANU is a name known to all. (+5000) 1MANU is a name known to all. (+5000) 1MANU is a name known to all. (+5000) 1MANU is a name known to all. (+5000) 1MANU is a name known to all. (+5000) 1MANU is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Add half a liter of ice cream to every meal you are currently eating.
    Strong mind + Strong body = UNSTOPPABLE

TryingBB is a name known to all. (+5000) TryingBB is a name known to all. (+5000) TryingBB is a name known to all. (+5000) TryingBB is a name known to all. (+5000) TryingBB is a name known to all. (+5000) TryingBB is a name known to all. (+5000) TryingBB is a name known to all. (+5000) TryingBB is a name known to all. (+5000) TryingBB is a name known to all. (+5000) TryingBB is a name known to all. (+5000) TryingBB is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by 1MANU View Post
    Add half a liter of ice cream to every meal you are currently eating.
    C’mon. That’ll make him put on layers of fat. 10 years later he’ll be 300lbs thinking why he can’t lose weight. All he does is eat ice cream
    **^^ Work hard AND more importantly, work smart ^^**

1MANU is a name known to all. (+5000) 1MANU is a name known to all. (+5000) 1MANU is a name known to all. (+5000) 1MANU is a name known to all. (+5000) 1MANU is a name known to all. (+5000) 1MANU is a name known to all. (+5000) 1MANU is a name known to all. (+5000) 1MANU is a name known to all. (+5000) 1MANU is a name known to all. (+5000) 1MANU is a name known to all. (+5000) 1MANU is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by TryingBB View Post
    C’mon. That’ll make him put on layers of fat. 10 years later he’ll be 300lbs thinking why he can’t lose weight. All he does is eat ice cream
    Ten years? What?

He is 16yrs old and metabolism/hormones through the roof. Temporarily adding ice cream is no biggie. For the short term. To get accustomed to increased calories.

rhadam has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) rhadam has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) rhadam has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) rhadam has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) rhadam has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) rhadam has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) rhadam has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) rhadam has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) rhadam has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) rhadam has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) rhadam has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by TryingBB View Post
    Wow are you some sort of wizard that can predict people's future?
    USAF
    LEO

Operation Inherent Resolve ~ 2019

TryingBB is a name known to all. (+5000) TryingBB is a name known to all. (+5000) TryingBB is a name known to all. (+5000) TryingBB is a name known to all. (+5000) TryingBB is a name known to all. (+5000) TryingBB is a name known to all. (+5000) TryingBB is a name known to all. (+5000) TryingBB is a name known to all. (+5000) TryingBB is a name known to all. (+5000) TryingBB is a name known to all. (+5000) TryingBB is a name known to all. (+5000)
    I’m sure many will agree with this OP, read the stickies under nutrition section and try to eat 250 to 500 calories surplus a day.

So maybe two thirds of the pint of ice cream he’s suggestion a DAY. Not after every meal.

If after 7 to 15 days, increase in calories does not result in increase in weight, add another 250 calories. Keep adding 250 calories every 15 days till you get to desired results.

By the way, olive oil, peanut butter are also good options.

Be sure you’re getting atleast 1 gram
    Protien per pound of body weight.

Idea is to gain no more than 2lbs of weight per month to keep your gains lean. You don’t wanna gain mostly fat, do ya?

Ten years? What?

He is 16yrs old and metabolism/hormones through the roof. Temporarily adding ice cream is no biggie. For the short term. To get accustomed to increased calories.
    1 liter is almost 1 pint

Blue bell brand cheap ice cream tub is 700 to 900 calories. Times three for a day for 3 meals

Haagen daaz or another premium brand may be more

You’re telling a newbie teenage OP to consume 2100 to 2700 calories surplus per day. He’ll be the size of a sumo wrestler in no time.

Originally Posted by rhadam View Post
    Wow are you some sort of wizard that can predict people's future?
    my comment above...

PLUS

I am not trying to come across as a know-it-all. Cuz I am not and never claimed to be. I am myself a newbie and learnt a lot from y’all and this forum actually. So thank you sincerely.

However 2100 calories just in ice cream is bad advice imo.
    Last edited by TryingBB; 11-13-2019 at 10:56 AM.

^^LOL...holy ****. Not literally - as an example to increase calories. I also stated half a liter - again as an example. You are in no position to determine outcome of size gained for a growing 16 yr old based on amount of increased calories - i.e. end up as a sumo wrestler (this is a reckless comment).

OP: If you want to have some ice cream ( amount determined by you - 1 ounce, 5 tablespoons, 16oz, 1 pint, ..) after every meal go for it. AS A WAY TO INCREASE YOUR CALORIES TEMPORARILY.

Also, applying two pounds a month gained, special formulas, etc.. to a growing teenager is irrelevant. Age 15-18 I remember going through a jar of PB and gallon of whole milk every 2-3 days easily - and not saying everyone should do this. It's what I needed.

Teenagers please note as I have been saying for the past ten years:

EAT UP, train balls out, sleep, study hard, get a part time job, eat some more, nail the prom queen, eat some more, and then off to college.

The key: EAT.

Poster above will state I said nail the prom queen - which may not be good advice long term...lol
    Last edited by 1MANU; 11-13-2019 at 11:55 AM.

^^LOL...holy ****. Not literally - as an example to increase calories. I also stated half a liter - again as an example. You are in no position to determine outcome of size gained for a growing 16 yr old based on amount of increased calories - i.e. sumo wrestler.

OP: If you want to have some ice cream ( amount determined by you - 1 ounce, 5 tablespoons, 16oz, 1 pint, ..) after every meal go for it. AS A WAY TO INCREASE YOUR CALORIES TEMPORARILY.

Also, applying two pounds a month gained, special formulas, etc.. to a growing teenager is irrelevant. Age 15-18 I remember going through a jar of PB and gallon of whole milk every 2-3 days easily - and not saying everyone should do this. It's what I needed.

Growing teenagers please note as I have been saying for the past ten years:

EAT UP, train balls out, sleep, study hard, get a part time job, eat some more, nail the prom queen, eat some more, and then off to college.

Poster above will state I said nail the prom queen - which may not be good advice long term...lol
    Well makes sense actually. You have much more experience so I’ll let you advice him. OP listen to him. Not me

I would still keep an eye on the belly fat and love handles and don’t let it get out of hand. Like 20% bodyfat would be too much imo but what do I know (srs)

12rep has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) 12rep has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) 12rep has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) 12rep has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) 12rep has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) 12rep has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) 12rep has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) 12rep has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) 12rep has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) 12rep has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) 12rep has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    ^^LOL...holy ****. Not literally - as an example to increase calories. I also stated half a liter - again as an example. You are in no position to determine outcome of size gained for a growing 16 yr old based on amount of increased calories - i.e. end up as a sumo wrestler (this is a reckless comment).

Teenagers please note as I have been saying for the past ten years:

Yeah I see what you mean. I started working out to increase my confidence and feel more comfortable having some size to me , so it is pretty disheartening to have worked my ass off and not have gained any size. I've studied for days about all the nutrition **** so ig this is what I shouldve expected for not being in a surplus. The hardest part has been the meal plan, creating something perfect for my school schedule and my time with friends while seeing what can be stored what has to be cooked every day etc has been hard , so I need to limit the amount of food I get to 3 or 4 bulk items , my metabolism is on another dimension. I dont pay for my food and I dont have a car yet so I need to make sure what I get is something that will be in the kitchen for a couple weeks, I got rice, pasta , chicken breast, tuna sandwhich, protein shake, creatine, and a couple other foods in my plan but I deff dont eat enough

Its crazy to me. I have a push pull leg split. With all the best compound movements, good rep range, time under tension etc and have increased lots of lifts by upwards of 20 lbs but dont notice much of a difference in anything but my triceps and abs. I had no idea you could increase your strength this much with little to no actual gains

Try making 2-3 PBJ sandwiches and bringing with you to school. Throw a bag of granola, a couple bananas, and jerky in your backpack. Foods that can be readily available to you. Others posters have given some nice suggestions above.

If you can get your hands on milk and juices during your day at school have that.

Prior to school make time for a nice big breakfast. Will get your day off to a solid start. It may be hard to get it down and you may not be accustomed to it, but your body will eventually adapt.

Once you get in a routine, will get easier for you.

Your strength is going up. Good. Now imagine if you ate well on top of that? Sky is the limit. That's how to think.

You'll get there. Work hard.

Try making 2-3 PBJ sandwiches and bringing with you to school. Throw a bag of granola, a couple bananas, and jerky in your backpack. Foods that can be readily available to you. Others posters have given some nice suggestions above.

If you can get your hands on milk and juices during your day at school have that.

Prior to school make time for a nice big breakfast. Will get your day off to a solid start. It may be hard to get it down and you may not be accustomed to it, but your body will eventually adapt.

Once you get in a routine, will get easier for you.

Your strength is going up. Good. Now imagine if you ate well on top of that? Sky is the limit. That's how to think.

You'll get there. Work hard.
    Tried repping...

You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to 1MANU again.

I wish I had you as my trainer when I tried to workout as a teenager couple decades ago. I used to go in hungry as heck and come out dizzy and wondering why I’m not gaining strength.

All I had was gym bro’s telling me to eat egg whites/down em raw and my mom was not having that. lol

Well I gave up - stayed skinny fat - tried again in college - didn’t have any of this knowledge - tore up my left shoulder trying to lift heavy on lateral raises and bad bench form ... lol...gave up AGAIN. And right now, decades later, am in the best shape of my life and I’ve only been lifting seriously for 3 months.

I feel you OP, you may have to talk to your parents/guardians and tell them what you’re trying to do and ask them to help you with your grocery needs - specially protiens.
    Last edited by TryingBB; 11-13-2019 at 01:07 PM.

^It's all good. Live and learn. What matters is that you're on the right path now. Keep it up.

Good work.