RatioStrain is on a distinguished road. (+10)

Easy to add plates to an existing cable machine?

I'm looking at getting something like an Inspire FT1 or Cybex Bravo to my workout area.
    If I decide that the weight stack isn't heavy enough, is it easy enough to buy the additional accessory weights and add them on? ... or is this the kind of thing that should be ordered when buying the machine?

Duplicitous is a name known to all. (+5000) Duplicitous is a name known to all. (+5000) Duplicitous is a name known to all. (+5000) Duplicitous is a name known to all. (+5000) Duplicitous is a name known to all. (+5000) Duplicitous is a name known to all. (+5000) Duplicitous is a name known to all. (+5000) Duplicitous is a name known to all. (+5000) Duplicitous is a name known to all. (+5000) Duplicitous is a name known to all. (+5000) Duplicitous is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by RatioStrain View Post
    I'm looking at getting something like an Inspire FT1 or Cybex Bravo to my workout area.
    If I decide that the weight stack isn't heavy enough, is it easy enough to buy the additional accessory weights and add them on? ... or is this the kind of thing that should be ordered when buying the machine?
    The Bravo doesn't offer any upgrades. The Inspire FT1has (I believe) a 50-lb upgrade. I would buy it in advance so you don't have to remove and replace the stack later, but it's not a must.

Joe @ Impact Strength does offer a pin adapter that will allow you to add plates to any 3/8" pin stack as well, provided the design of the machine doesn't have any shrouds that prohibit the use of something like that.

jamesovercome is just really nice. (+1000) jamesovercome is just really nice. (+1000) jamesovercome is just really nice. (+1000) jamesovercome is just really nice. (+1000) jamesovercome is just really nice. (+1000) jamesovercome is just really nice. (+1000) jamesovercome is just really nice. (+1000) jamesovercome is just really nice. (+1000) jamesovercome is just really nice. (+1000) jamesovercome is just really nice. (+1000) jamesovercome is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by Duplicitous View Post

Joe @ Impact Strength does offer a pin adapter that will allow you to add plates to any 3/8" pin stack as well, provided the design of the machine doesn't have any shrouds that prohibit the use of something like that.

This. My functional trainer had a smaller weight stack and after recieving 2 failed versions, Impact Strength needed exact measurements, down to the mm to create something that worked. I ultimately just quashed the idea but they did give me my money back.
    ---------------------------------------
    "Fast is not fast enough, strong is not strong enough."
    ----------------------------------------

gym62richard has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) gym62richard has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) gym62richard has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) gym62richard has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) gym62richard has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) gym62richard has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) gym62richard has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) gym62richard has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) gym62richard has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) gym62richard has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) gym62richard has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    AS Duplicitous said there is no stack upgrade for the Bravo, because of the shroud design hanging conventional plates off the stack would not be an easy proposition.

I think the stack on the Bravo is sufficient for the vast majority of lifters, anyone strong enough to move the whole stack for multiple reps probably wouldn't consider adding a Functional Trainer to their set up anyway.

irongrandpa has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) irongrandpa has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) irongrandpa has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) irongrandpa has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) irongrandpa has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) irongrandpa has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) irongrandpa has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) irongrandpa has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) irongrandpa has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) irongrandpa has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) irongrandpa has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by gym62richard View Post
    AS Duplicitous said there is no stack upgrade for the Bravo, because of the shroud design hanging conventional plates off the stack would not be an easy proposition.

I think the stack on the Bravo is sufficient for the vast majority of lifters, anyone strong enough to move the whole stack for multiple reps probably wouldn't consider adding a Functional Trainer to their set up anyway.
    In addition to what Richard (owner of a Bravo) shared, I haven't used a weight heavier than what the standard stack offers on my Inspire FT1 for all the exercises I use a FT for. I bought mine used and it came with the upgraded weight stack, so it will be nice to have if ever needed. I have a Bodymasters lat /low row machine for pull downs and rows. IMO, a FT isn't ideal for heavier pull downs and rows.
    Now OK for Sig line to be a novel

Just when I think I've done a solid job of researching the different pros/cons of these devices, I learn something new.
    Didn't know that the Bravo didn't offer weight upgrades.

I just noticed that the Bravo CAN be ordered with an extra heavy stack, but you are correct about the lack of "accessory" weights. Here are the weight options on the various Bravos.

UPDATE: oops...just noticed that those heavier weight stacks come with 4:1 ratios....making them have basically the same resistance as the lighter stack.

Weight Stack :

8800 Compact: 170 lbs (77 kg)
    8810 Tall: 170 lbs (77 kg)
    8830 Compact Light: 170 lbs (77 kg)
    8830 Compact Heavy: 325 lbs (147 kg)
    8840 Tall Light: 170 lbs (77 kg)
    8840 Tall Heavy: 325 lbs (147 kg)
    Last edited by RatioStrain; 11-13-2019 at 06:03 PM. Reason: I was wrong

gym62richard has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) gym62richard has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) gym62richard has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) gym62richard has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) gym62richard has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) gym62richard has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) gym62richard has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) gym62richard has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) gym62richard has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) gym62richard has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) gym62richard has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Just when I think I've done a solid job of researching the different pros/cons of these devices, I learn something new.
    Didn't know that the Bravo didn't offer weight upgrades.
    Have you tried out a Bravo?, if not, perhaps it would be worth visiting a gym and trying one out for yourself, I think you may find that the stack weight is sufficient.

Thanks. We have a dealer in my town, but they don't have Cybex on the floor....only Inspire and Hoist.

I would love to give the Bravo a little test but would probably have to call around to find a gym that has a Bravo machine.

Have you tried out a Bravo?, if not, perhaps it would be worth visiting a gym and trying one out for yourself, I think you may find that the stack weight is sufficient.

I would love to give the Bravo a little test but would probably have to call around to find a gym that has a Bravo machine.
    This is what I did, I visited a number of gyms, tried out the 2.1 and 4..1 units, before deciding I wanted a 2.1 ratio, tall model.

It took over a year, numerous road trips and many miles to find a used unit in my preferred configuration.

If I get one, it will have to be a compact....not sure what disadvantage one has over the other, but I've got an odd place that it must fit....so I can't have those tall pull up bars.

Good job being patient and working for the good deal on one. I'm assuming that I'll have to buy new unless something magically pops up nearby.

Also, given the fact that these things seem like such rare jewels (in the fitness world), perhaps their value will hold up in the used market so I don't take too much of a hit. That's asking a lot because fitness equipment takes a HUGE dive in depreciation.

Buying a Bravo used is amazing, though.... your risk of depreciation should be very slight if any so long as it works correctly.

This is what I did, I visited a number of gyms, tried out the 2.1 and 4..1 units, before deciding I wanted a 2.1 ratio, tall model.

It took over a year, numerous road trips and many miles to find a used unit in my preferred configuration.

ripper238 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ripper238 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ripper238 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ripper238 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ripper238 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ripper238 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ripper238 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ripper238 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ripper238 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ripper238 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ripper238 is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Yes, heaver stack but 4:1

I cant count how many of the Bravos i have sold, but i have never had anyone have an issue with the max weight.

The Cybex Bravo is by far the smallest and most compact quality FT in the industry.

But you may not want to try it because noting will compare after. lol