hook17 is on a distinguished road. (+10)

Rogue RML490 vs 690

Hi I've got a 14x14 ft basement room I plan to setup for a gym

Room is basically empty except for stall mats that I have placed. Looking for recommendations on setup.

I'm going back and forth for the 490 vs 690. I do not understand how you can store plates with the 490 and still use the rack for the bench(I asked rogue they said its probably an issue but they will sell me spotter arms to use outside).

I also am hesitant to let the rml690 swallow the room as I do not know how much more equipment I may purchase.

Ideally not looking to bolt down either piece but if I have to I can lay down plywood. Also with the sale going on at rogue are the numbered uprights and stabiziling name plate really worth the $300 difference to go to the 3.0 with the BF sale.

Anybody want to help with recommendations?

Here is a picture of the room setup. Will move that gun safe eventually when I get help

https ://imgur.com/NZ9AuQI
    Attached Images

gym62richard has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) gym62richard has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) gym62richard has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) gym62richard has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) gym62richard has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) gym62richard has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) gym62richard has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) gym62richard has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) gym62richard has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) gym62richard has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) gym62richard has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    With a 6 post rack plate storage is a real advantage. In my view the Rogue racks with 43" inside depth are not ideal, as once you add the additional depth of the weight storage they come out a long way.
    30"-36" inside depth is plenty. Have you considered a rack from a different manufacturer?, the Legend 3133 has an overall depth of 60", including the weight storage.

http://legendfitness.com/product/power-cage/

keyboardworkout has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) keyboardworkout has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) keyboardworkout has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) keyboardworkout has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) keyboardworkout has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) keyboardworkout has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) keyboardworkout has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) keyboardworkout has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) keyboardworkout has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) keyboardworkout has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) keyboardworkout has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    If you are OK with a half rack with spotter arms, the 90x90 HR-2 is the way to go to save space. That is what I have although my reason was more due to the fact I can't press in a rack other than to save space.

Roughly 4' x 4" footprint with spotter arms.
    ▪█─────█▪ Equipment Crew #53 ▪█─────█▪
    ^^^^^^^ 6' 6" and Over Crew ^^^^^^^
    ------------- No Vax Crew ----------------

Originally Posted by gym62richard View Post
    With a 6 post rack plate storage is a real advantage. In my view the Rogue racks with 43" inside depth are not ideal, as once you add the additional depth of the weight storage they come out a long way.
    30"-36" inside depth is plenty. Have you considered a rack from a different manufacturer?, the Legend 3133 has an overall depth of 60", including the weight storage.
    Thank you for this recommendation. Seems more practical space wise and also offers weight storage. Will check for a qoute. I've sort of decided to study rogue because of the perceived higher resale value than other companies and ease of ordering additional attachments. But in all honesty this rack seems to be a great option.

Originally Posted by keyboardworkout View Post
    If you are OK with a half rack with spotter arms, the 90x90 HR-2 is the way to go to save space. That is what I have although my reason was more due to the fact I can't press in a rack other than to save space.

Roughly 4' x 4" footprint with spotter arms.
    Thanks for that recommendation. Definitely want a full rack.

Duplicitous is a name known to all. (+5000) Duplicitous is a name known to all. (+5000) Duplicitous is a name known to all. (+5000) Duplicitous is a name known to all. (+5000) Duplicitous is a name known to all. (+5000) Duplicitous is a name known to all. (+5000) Duplicitous is a name known to all. (+5000) Duplicitous is a name known to all. (+5000) Duplicitous is a name known to all. (+5000) Duplicitous is a name known to all. (+5000) Duplicitous is a name known to all. (+5000)
    I have an RML-490. I purchased it with the pin and pipe safeties under the presumption they wouldn't be that bad and I would used to them. Within the first 10 minutes using the rack I wanted to throw those safeties through the window of Rogue HQ. Shortly thereafter I ordered custom flip-down safeties, which ran me $400. So much for those savings. Thus, my first recommendation is to think about what kind of safeties you really want before choosing a rack.

As for the stabilizer, you will want it unless you're bolting the rack down. The RML-490 has a lot of lateral sway without either.

The lack of numbering on my RML-490 is probably my biggest issue with it. All the money I spent on this rack and I ended up using stickers to mark my positions. :x I vote to get the numbering.

As for the weight storage issue, there' are a multitude of ways to handle that. You can get the 690, space be damned. You can pick up the Titan X3 10" extension. You would likely have to bolt the extension to the front of the rack as the 10" depth can present some issues for 45s when doing certain lifts. You can get a weight tree. You can get a wall mounted storage post.

All of this said, have a look at the racks from Rep Fitness. They'll be doing a BF sale soon.

Originally Posted by Duplicitous View Post
    I have an RML-490. I purchased it with the pin and pipe safeties under the presumption they wouldn't be that bad and I would used to them. Within the first 10 minutes using the rack I wanted to throw those safeties through the window of Rogue HQ. Shortly thereafter I ordered custom flip-down safeties, which ran me $400. So much for those savings. Thus, my first recommendation is to think about what kind of safeties you really want before choosing a rack.

As for the stabilizer, you will want it unless you're bolting the rack down. The RML-490 has a lot of lateral sway without either.

The lack of numbering on my RML-490 is probably my biggest issue with it. All the money I spent on this rack and I ended up using stickers to mark my positions. :x I vote to get the numbering.

As for the weight storage issue, there' are a multitude of ways to handle that. You can get the 690, space be damned. You can pick up the Titan X3 10" extension. You would likely have to bolt the extension to the front of the rack as the 10" depth can present some issues for 45s when doing certain lifts. You can get a weight tree. You can get a wall mounted storage post.

All of this said, have a look at the racks from Rep Fitness. They'll be doing a BF sale soon.
    Thank you for sharing your experience. What do you do for plate storage? The stabilizer is at the top not the one at the bottom that you can buy additionally. Did you buy the lower stabilizer?

Sboarder1964 is just really nice. (+1000) Sboarder1964 is just really nice. (+1000) Sboarder1964 is just really nice. (+1000) Sboarder1964 is just really nice. (+1000) Sboarder1964 is just really nice. (+1000) Sboarder1964 is just really nice. (+1000) Sboarder1964 is just really nice. (+1000) Sboarder1964 is just really nice. (+1000) Sboarder1964 is just really nice. (+1000) Sboarder1964 is just really nice. (+1000) Sboarder1964 is just really nice. (+1000)
    With the RML-490, you can put all of the plate storage one one side, then squat/bench out of the other side - even still inside the rack. This looks less conventional, but it's functionally the same plus all the plate storage that a 6 post rack affords you. There are lots of ways to do it, your imagination is your limit.

Here are some examples with a 390, a much smaller rack. You'd have plenty of space with a 490.

York History - https://docs.google.com/document/d/1dbRIGo0tZlrume27s3jusN2gtuEfLgQXOt1UPTZUfnI/edit

Originally Posted by Sboarder1964 View Post
    With the RML-490, you can put all of the plate storage one one side, then squat/bench out of the other side - even still inside the rack. This looks less conventional, but it's functionally the same plus all the plate storage that a 6 post rack affords you. There are lots of ways to do it, your imagination is your limit.

Here are some examples with a 390, a much smaller rack. You'd have plenty of space with a 490.
    Very nice examples. I'm still wondering If I lose any function by storing plates on the back posts or even the front posts.

ncsuLuke is a name known to all. (+5000) ncsuLuke is a name known to all. (+5000) ncsuLuke is a name known to all. (+5000) ncsuLuke is a name known to all. (+5000) ncsuLuke is a name known to all. (+5000) ncsuLuke is a name known to all. (+5000) ncsuLuke is a name known to all. (+5000) ncsuLuke is a name known to all. (+5000) ncsuLuke is a name known to all. (+5000) ncsuLuke is a name known to all. (+5000) ncsuLuke is a name known to all. (+5000)
    I have a 490 and weight pegs and don't have any issues benching. I just put one peg on the side I bench on down low and the rest on the other side.

Last edited by ncsuLuke; 11-12-2019 at 06:55 AM.

smokinHawk is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) smokinHawk is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) smokinHawk is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) smokinHawk is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) smokinHawk is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) smokinHawk is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) smokinHawk is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) smokinHawk is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) smokinHawk is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) smokinHawk is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) smokinHawk is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    You can get the 690 and have them swap out the 43 long section with the 30"
    So you have a 30 and 24" section if your worried about space.
    Best Raw total 1850 at 181 lbs
    best comp raw lifts @ 181
    squat 710
    bench 500
    deadlift 670
    "Lightest man to bench 500 raw in a full meet"
    my you tube channel of my training http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCkt7CVJ7443k6Vu_1DwP3UA
    ||---|| Rogue Barbell Club #9 ||---||
    ()---() York Barbell Club #81 ()---()
    []---[] Ivanko Barbell Crew #81 []---[]

Duplicitous is a name known to all. (+5000) Duplicitous is a name known to all. (+5000) Duplicitous is a name known to all. (+5000) Duplicitous is a name known to all. (+5000) Duplicitous is a name known to all. (+5000) Duplicitous is a name known to all. (+5000) Duplicitous is a name known to all. (+5000) Duplicitous is a name known to all. (+5000) Duplicitous is a name known to all. (+5000) Duplicitous is a name known to all. (+5000) Duplicitous is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by hook17 View Post
    Thank you for sharing your experience. What do you do for plate storage? The stabilizer is at the top not the one at the bottom that you can buy additionally. Did you buy the lower stabilizer?
    I have 2 weight trees and a Titan X-2 extension. The second weight tree is entirely superfluous, but the commercial trees are so hard to come by in my used market that I opted not to sell the spare.

I did buy the bottom stabilizer. The main issue with it is that can interfere with your bench. If you get any type of extension and/or store plates on the rack, you can skip the stabilizer as the extra weight will keep the rack planted.

Very nice examples. I'm still wondering If I lose any function by storing plates on the back posts or even the front posts.
    They will impact where you can use your safeties.

I have 2 weight trees and a Titan X-2 extension. The second weight tree is entirely superfluous, but the commercial trees are so hard to come by in my used market that I opted not to sell the spare.

I did buy the bottom stabilizer. The main issue with it is that can interfere with your bench. If you get any type of extension and/or store plates on the rack, you can skip the stabilizer as the extra weight will keep the rack planted.

They will impact where you can use your safeties.
    Thanks for sharing.

Anybody else bothered with the color options for the C line. I like the look of the older matte black which is not an option for the 3.0 version.

Also any recommendations on which adjustable bench to get. Rep 3000 vs 5000

sera310 is just really nice. (+1000) sera310 is just really nice. (+1000) sera310 is just really nice. (+1000) sera310 is just really nice. (+1000) sera310 is just really nice. (+1000) sera310 is just really nice. (+1000) sera310 is just really nice. (+1000) sera310 is just really nice. (+1000) sera310 is just really nice. (+1000) sera310 is just really nice. (+1000) sera310 is just really nice. (+1000)
    I store most of the plate trees inside the footprint of the rack, on wheels; hard to get more compact than that. my rack is only 24" deep.

Based on your recommendation - I took a look at the rep fitness pr-4000. Great option. So easy to customize. Very easy to add weight storage and other accessories and the price is easily $800 less than the 690 and can save some space.

Anybody willing to chime in about overall quality and satisfaction with their rack products.

Based on your recommendation - I took a look at the rep fitness pr-4000. Great option. So easy to customize. Very easy to add weight storage and other accessories and the price is easily $800 less than the 690 and can save some space.

Anybody willing to chime in about overall quality and satisfaction with their rack products.
    They are also supposedly doing a BF sale 11/23, so you may save even more.

Rep isn't of the same quality as Rogue, but they're well above Titan and I think they offer a good value for the money. If I was buying today, that's who I would likely go with for a rack.

They are also supposedly doing a BF sale 11/23, so you may save even more.

Rep isn't of the same quality as Rogue, but they're well above Titan and I think they offer a good value for the money. If I was buying today, that's who I would likely go with for a rack.
    Basically everything will be 5-15% off I called and ask

RGrizzzz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) RGrizzzz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) RGrizzzz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) RGrizzzz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) RGrizzzz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) RGrizzzz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) RGrizzzz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) RGrizzzz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) RGrizzzz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) RGrizzzz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) RGrizzzz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    I had an Infinity R3 and I used the posts for plate storage. I didn't like it, because it ate up some of the usable space inside the rack. (Less depth than the ones you're considering) I bought the Rogue wheeled bumper tree, and I'm much happier with it. When we finished our basement, I had to move into a small section of the basement, about 12'x16' with a few additional nooks, which are good for storage/placement of the plate tree(Maybe next to your safe). I find that I can wheel the plate tree around and stash it out of the way, if I'm doing something where I need the extra space. If it were me, I'd go with a rack of the shorter depth. If you're considering the 690, I'd bump up to the RM-4 and a plate tree, for about the same money. About 6 months ago I sold my R3 and upgraded to the RM-4. I wanted the flip in safeties. 6 months later, I think they're great, and I don't miss the R3 at all. The numbered holes are handy too. Expect to bolt down any rack you buy. (Real men should own a corded hammer drill!)
    ||---|| Rogue Barbell Club #44 ||---||

sera310 is just really nice. (+1000) sera310 is just really nice. (+1000) sera310 is just really nice. (+1000) sera310 is just really nice. (+1000) sera310 is just really nice. (+1000) sera310 is just really nice. (+1000) sera310 is just really nice. (+1000) sera310 is just really nice. (+1000) sera310 is just really nice. (+1000) sera310 is just really nice. (+1000) sera310 is just really nice. (+1000)
    I have a wheeled plate tree but it's pretty wide; another option I use is to get a narrower plate tree and put it on a furniture dolly. I have 2 like that, been using them for years, works great. + they are very cheap.