MFarrar74 is just really nice. (+1000) MFarrar74 is just really nice. (+1000) MFarrar74 is just really nice. (+1000) MFarrar74 is just really nice. (+1000) MFarrar74 is just really nice. (+1000) MFarrar74 is just really nice. (+1000) MFarrar74 is just really nice. (+1000) MFarrar74 is just really nice. (+1000) MFarrar74 is just really nice. (+1000) MFarrar74 is just really nice. (+1000) MFarrar74 is just really nice. (+1000)

dual sport bros get in here! need advice

Good afternoon, i need a little advice from guys who ride dual sport motorcycles. I currently have a 2016 Suzuki m109r and i honestly dont ride it a lot anymore. 2 years ago a silly 16 year old on her cell phone took a left turn into me and rolled me a few times. the bike was fine, just replaced the tank. My back on the other hand has been a little jacked up since. The cruiser style bike puts me in a weird position and kills my spine for more than a 20-30 min ride. I can go all day on my ATV (can am outlander) and ive really come to the conclusion that i prefer off road to the street.

So i need recommendations on a Dual sport. This bike will be used on the weekends to get me to a fire road or trail then go exploring. probably no single track or anything hardcore. Sometimes ill use it for rougher stuff and sand if i have people in town that want to ride both my quads.
    I am 6'4 or so and currently 280lbs.
    coming from a 700lb plus bike im sure any dual sport will feel light to me, but i am concerned the power is going to feel weak compared to the 9.

considering
    klr650
    dr650
    drz400
    wr250r

I would like to buy new and keep the price under $7000 us. ill be trading the m109r in
    not really looking at "adventure bikes" as i want a little more offroad focus.

Thanks!

akmerle is a jewel in the rough. (+500) akmerle is a jewel in the rough. (+500) akmerle is a jewel in the rough. (+500) akmerle is a jewel in the rough. (+500) akmerle is a jewel in the rough. (+500) akmerle is a jewel in the rough. (+500) akmerle is a jewel in the rough. (+500) akmerle is a jewel in the rough. (+500) akmerle is a jewel in the rough. (+500) akmerle is a jewel in the rough. (+500) akmerle is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Originally Posted by MFarrar74 View Post
    Good afternoon, i need a little advice from guys who ride dual sport motorcycles. I currently have a 2016 Suzuki m109r and i honestly dont ride it a lot anymore. 2 years ago a silly 16 year old on her cell phone took a left turn into me and rolled me a few times. the bike was fine, just replaced the tank. My back on the other hand has been a little jacked up since. The cruiser style bike puts me in a weird position and kills my spine for more than a 20-30 min ride. I can go all day on my ATV (can am outlander) and ive really come to the conclusion that i prefer off road to the street.

So i need recommendations on a Dual sport. This bike will be used on the weekends to get me to a fire road or trail then go exploring. probably no single track or anything hardcore. Sometimes ill use it for rougher stuff and sand if i have people in town that want to ride both my quads.
    I am 6'4 or so and currently 280lbs.
    coming from a 700lb plus bike im sure any dual sport will feel light to me, but i am concerned the power is going to feel weak compared to the 9.

considering
    klr650
    dr650
    drz400
    wr250r

I would like to buy new and keep the price under $7000 us. ill be trading the m109r in
    not really looking at "adventure bikes" as i want a little more offroad focus.

Thanks!
    From what I’ve seen from folks going with the 250/400/650 route is that many end up spending a bunch of money getting them more power / handling / suspension. All of which are taken care of for you by going with one of the KTM dual sports, or the CRF450L.

Yes they are a bit more money, but sound like they will be more what you are looking for given your size and if you are concerned with power coming from your previous bike.

MFarrar74 is just really nice. (+1000) MFarrar74 is just really nice. (+1000) MFarrar74 is just really nice. (+1000) MFarrar74 is just really nice. (+1000) MFarrar74 is just really nice. (+1000) MFarrar74 is just really nice. (+1000) MFarrar74 is just really nice. (+1000) MFarrar74 is just really nice. (+1000) MFarrar74 is just really nice. (+1000) MFarrar74 is just really nice. (+1000) MFarrar74 is just really nice. (+1000)
    i bought a new Suzuki DR650 this weekend and couldnt be happier. its shocking how much better a light weight (relatively) bike handles compared to a big low cruiser with a 260 tire in the back. I really dont even miss the power. Ive only had it on rough dirt roads and an easy trail so far, but man its FUN. I wish i had never wasted my time with cruisers now.