ReboundReps is on a distinguished road. (+10)

Side external rotations for scapula?

So I have a chronic case of tendonitis/osis in my tricep, which has been made worse due to some scapula winging. The physio said the scapula is most likely tugging on the tricep kinda thing. So I need to fix my scapula in order to properly rehab my tricep.

My physio prescribed me straight-arm rope pulldowns and also some side external rotations for my shoulder (see attached image)

I can feel the straight arm rope pulldowns working my serratus, but I'm wondering what effect the side external rotations would have?

My understanding is that fixing scapula winging is generally all about strengthening the serratus, but from reading up online I cant see any link between side external rotations and the serratus anterior.

Having said that, when I do the side external rotations, it *feels* like it is helping with my problem (though I could be imagining it).

What does everyone else think? would that exercise help with a winging scapula? Or maybe there is just some other problem with my shoulder that my physio didn't mention, and he could have just given me the exercise without stating why I needed to do it exactly.
    Attached Images

Heisman2 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Heisman2 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Heisman2 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Heisman2 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Heisman2 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Heisman2 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Heisman2 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Heisman2 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Heisman2 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Heisman2 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Heisman2 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    I'm not a physio and I am not a huge fan of EMG data but nonetheless this abstract indicates it is worked with external rotation: https://www.tandfonline.com/doi/abs/...4.2017.1347697

ReboundReps is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by Heisman2 View Post
    I'm not a physio and I am not a huge fan of EMG data but nonetheless this abstract indicates it is worked with external rotation:
    Interesting - thanks for clearing that up!