JaimeJW is on a distinguished road. (+10)

Question High carb vs. low carb when cutting?

Hey, sorry if this question has already been asked but I'm new here.

I've been off track for a year and I'm about to start a 10-week diet on my own. I'm still quite inexperienced so i'm just really confused about how I should approach this- I'm trying to drop 4-5% bodyfat (I'm at around 21% currently) but I've lost a lot of muscle since I haven't trained for several months.
    I'm not as much concerned about training as much as nutrition... from past experience, low carb-high protein would build up muscle for me really fast but would make me feel so lethargic, whereas high carb would make me have more energy but sooooo bloated. Like, my whole body would just puff up and I'd feel like crap.

Has anyone had similar experience? Is it even possible to drop that much in 10 weeks? Appreciate the help

spradish has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) spradish has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) spradish has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) spradish has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) spradish has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) spradish has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) spradish has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) spradish has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) spradish has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) spradish has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) spradish has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    You haven't really given enough info for us to be really helpful. How much do you weigh? What's your height? How are you defining high vs low carbs? Did you give yourself an actual chance to adjust to more carbs (i.e., ride out the initial bloat) or did you try it for a few days and then quit?

Bottom line, when cutting, aim at .8-1 g/lb of protein and .4g/ lb of fat. After that, how you spend your calories (carbs, more protein, more fat) is up to you. Figuring out what works best for you takes experimentation.

armies is a jewel in the rough. (+500) armies is a jewel in the rough. (+500) armies is a jewel in the rough. (+500) armies is a jewel in the rough. (+500) armies is a jewel in the rough. (+500) armies is a jewel in the rough. (+500) armies is a jewel in the rough. (+500) armies is a jewel in the rough. (+500) armies is a jewel in the rough. (+500) armies is a jewel in the rough. (+500) armies is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Low carb is better

kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by JaimeJW View Post
    Hey, sorry if this question has already been asked but I'm new here.

I've been off track for a year and I'm about to start a 10-week diet on my own. I'm still quite inexperienced so i'm just really confused about how I should approach this- I'm trying to drop 4-5% bodyfat (I'm at around 21% currently) but I've lost a lot of muscle since I haven't trained for several months.
    I'm not as much concerned about training as much as nutrition... from past experience, low carb-high protein would build up muscle for me really fast but would make me feel so lethargic, whereas high carb would make me have more energy but sooooo bloated. Like, my whole body would just puff up and I'd feel like crap.

Has anyone had similar experience? Is it even possible to drop that much in 10 weeks? Appreciate the help
    It doesn't matter where you carbs are set. When you're in a deficit and cutting there is no building muscle. Set your protein amount and divide your remaining calories the way you see fit. The whole idea is to feel good and be able to perform your best when dieting down. It's not a one size fits all so play around with it.
    National Level Competitor (Female BB)

oregonchick76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) oregonchick76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) oregonchick76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) oregonchick76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) oregonchick76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) oregonchick76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) oregonchick76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) oregonchick76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) oregonchick76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) oregonchick76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) oregonchick76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Current stats? Height/weight? How do you know you're at 21%?
    No big changes occur in 10 weeks. You can do a hard cut and lose 10 lbs but if you're low on muscle you'll just look like a skinnier version of yourself with no muscle. Better to follow a well-rounded and solid lifting routine and eat in a slight deficit. Carb manipulation is unnecessarily complicated.
    "Start where you are. It's never too late to change your life."

rooodisa is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Consume too many carbohydrates, and you could incur unwanted weight gain, blood sugar issues, and a long list of chronic diseases. Eat too little, and you could experience hormonal imbalance, weight loss resistance, and major drops in athletic performance.

To add to this conundrum, what is one person’s high carb can be another’s too low carb, making mainstream “general” intake recommendations entirely inadequate.

While both sides of the coin project carbohydrates in an unpleasant light, rest assured – your right carb does exist, and eating the appropriate amount of this macronutrient can help you achieve health, longevity, and natural leanness.