indianastanley is on a distinguished road. (+10)

Arrow Power Lifting for Rugby - Log

Height: 175 cm
    Weight: 61.6 kg
    Program: Stronglift 5x5 (Looking for new program)

My reason to power lift is for Rugby and overall power and size. I'm done with being skinny and short, so hopefully I can just be short. I do lateral and sprint work on the side as well, but I don't track it.

Having trouble with bench, I've been at 45 kg for years. I might turn down the pectoral workouts. I do many side workouts like pull ups, curls, etc.

STATS:
    Deadlift: 95 kg
    Squat: 70 kg
    Bench: 45 kg
    Incline: 34 kg
    overhead press: 13.6 kg each (Dumbbells)
    Sled Push: (If sled is 90 Lbs,) 92 kg for 6 meters

I experienced drastic deadlift improvement, from 29 kg in September to 95. Woo hoo.

Food Intake: I eat five meals a day if I can. I have to cut whey for acne reasons, but I'm researching a replacement. Usual meals are as follows.

Meal 1: (7 am) bowl of pure oatmeal
    Meal 2: (10 am) eggs and salmon
    Meal 3: (12 pm) toast and almond butter (pre-workout)
    Meal 4: (3 pm) Big 2-tall glass worth of protein smoothie with mango, strawberry, spinach, almond butter, banana, berries, and bucket of protein powder.
    Meal 5: (5-7 pm, dinner time) Usually carb-y food like pasta or tacos. I make sure there's no leftovers.

This will probably be a weekly log, I'll post Thursday mornings.

JamesA1990 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) JamesA1990 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) JamesA1990 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) JamesA1990 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) JamesA1990 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) JamesA1990 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) JamesA1990 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) JamesA1990 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) JamesA1990 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) JamesA1990 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) JamesA1990 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Hey man, thought id chime in as ive been playing rugby for the last 19 years straight, while also competing in powerlifting for the 5 or so years (im 29 now)

The hardest part is dealing with this fact:

You will be sore from rugby, you will get injured, this will negatively affect your lifting

You will be sore from lifting, you will get injured, this will negatively affect your rugby

Now that we are past all the doom and gloom, you CAN do both, but you will need to make some adjustments to a typical powerlifting routine

Powerlifting movements are slow, grindy movements (as apposed to fast movements like oly lifting)

Movements such as the Front Squat and hex bar deadlift will be more beneficial for your rugby performance, but not so much in a specific powerlifting sense. I also found doing heavy dumbbell (vs barbell work) was great for gaining palming / fending power, again this will be at the detriment to your powerlifting specific bench press gains

The other thing to consider is you want to be relatively fresh on game day (i assume saturday) but many programs have you squatting twice a week. I would recommend volume, high rep lower body movements at the start of the week, and your heavier work at the end of the week. Heavier work is generally easier to recover from and you wont be having large muscle DOMS in your legs when you are trying to run around on the weekend

Sorry to write a short novel on your page brah

edit: as for looking for a new program, i would take a look at The Texas Method. It has volume work at the start of the week and intensity work at the end of the week