EliKoehn has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) EliKoehn has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) EliKoehn has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) EliKoehn has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) EliKoehn has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) EliKoehn has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) EliKoehn has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) EliKoehn has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) EliKoehn has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) EliKoehn has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) EliKoehn has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)

Sudden Bicep Activation from Bench?

Improving my bench has been my primary goal in the gym this year. I've been doing it anywhere from one to three times a week, consistently this whole year, with only one week-long break. The rest of my routine has been relatively balanced, but it has been bench-heavy.

During my workout yesterday I noticed a serious bicep pump only from benching. This was my first time doing multiple sets of 10 at 225 (got 50 reps in 5 sets after focusing on training for strength the last couple of months, while I previously often did 4 x 8 at that weight), and in the final rep of some of those sets, it felt like new territory and caused me some legitimate struggle. (I got it though, and I don't count a rep if it doesn't both touch my chest and make it high enough to be racked.)

Anyway, I know the biceps have some minimal involvement in the lift, with stabilization and gripping, but to get a full bicep pump from just the bench press? Also, I woke up with quite a bit of DOMS in the biceps. More often than not, I train chest and back together and so would expect some bicep activation from things like rows and pullups, but I have never once experienced something like this on any of the several days where I only did pushing exercises.

Can any of you relate? Is it possible that the biceps could get enough activation for a pump and DOMS just from pushing or gripping hard enough?
    Bench: 345
    Squat: 405
    Deadlift: 505

"... But always, there remained, the discipline of steel!"

dazitmayn is just really nice. (+1000) dazitmayn is just really nice. (+1000) dazitmayn is just really nice. (+1000) dazitmayn is just really nice. (+1000) dazitmayn is just really nice. (+1000) dazitmayn is just really nice. (+1000) dazitmayn is just really nice. (+1000) dazitmayn is just really nice. (+1000) dazitmayn is just really nice. (+1000) dazitmayn is just really nice. (+1000) dazitmayn is just really nice. (+1000)
    a "pump" and how you feel it is subjective but yes if you are doing high rep bench press you can expect to feel something in your biceps

never got doms from it so i can't speak on that, let's see your form

armies is a jewel in the rough. (+500) armies is a jewel in the rough. (+500) armies is a jewel in the rough. (+500) armies is a jewel in the rough. (+500) armies is a jewel in the rough. (+500) armies is a jewel in the rough. (+500) armies is a jewel in the rough. (+500) armies is a jewel in the rough. (+500) armies is a jewel in the rough. (+500) armies is a jewel in the rough. (+500) armies is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Originally Posted by EliKoehn View Post
    Improving my bench has been my primary goal in the gym this year. I've been doing it anywhere from one to three times a week, consistently this whole year, with only one week-long break. The rest of my routine has been relatively balanced, but it has been bench-heavy.

During my workout yesterday I noticed a serious bicep pump only from benching. This was my first time doing multiple sets of 10 at 225 (got 50 reps in 5 sets after focusing on training for strength the last couple of months, while I previously often did 4 x 8 at that weight), and in the final rep of some of those sets, it felt like new territory and caused me some legitimate struggle. (I got it though, and I don't count a rep if it doesn't both touch my chest and make it high enough to be racked.)

Anyway, I know the biceps have some minimal involvement in the lift, with stabilization and gripping, but to get a full bicep pump from just the bench press? Also, I woke up with quite a bit of DOMS in the biceps. More often than not, I train chest and back together and so would expect some bicep activation from things like rows and pullups, but I have never once experienced something like this on any of the several days where I only did pushing exercises.

Can any of you relate? Is it possible that the biceps could get enough activation for a pump and DOMS just from pushing or gripping hard enough?
    Yes, biceps get a huge pump from benching, when you are going crazy, screaming, shouting, sweating profusely as you lift hundreds and hundreds of pounds on the bench press, you bet you are going to get a huge biceps pump!

Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    It vary from person to person.
    If you have big biceps then probably more so.
    They get activated quite a lot on the negative part and if you go controlled movement then even more.
    Also if your biceps meet your forearms at the and then you have a lot of tension.

EliKoehn has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) EliKoehn has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) EliKoehn has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) EliKoehn has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) EliKoehn has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) EliKoehn has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) EliKoehn has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) EliKoehn has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) EliKoehn has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) EliKoehn has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) EliKoehn has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Interesting that it's only happened once... Anyway, I appreciate your answers.

WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Might have been overtucking elbows. Can put extra strain on bicep
    5 day full body crew

FMH Crew, Sandbagging Mike Tuscherer Wannabee

Originally Posted by WolfRose7 View Post
    Might have been overtucking elbows. Can put extra strain on bicep
    Believe it or not, I tend to have the opposite problem. I've been improving my form lately, but I'm one of those guys who tends to T-Grip it. Can't imagine I've already gone too far the other way.