Envoyy is on a distinguished road. (+10)

Lower back pain during deadlift, can someone form check?

You can skip the first 18 seconds of me just standing around, youtube undid my video cropping for some reason

youtube . com / watch ? v =LB -hyL8S - gQ (remove the spaces, not allowed to post links yet)

My back seems to stay neutral the whole time, what am I missing?

Also, side question: I'm doing the beginner Fierce Five routine and feel like my overhead press can't keep up with the prescribed progression for upper body lifts. I feel that doing the lift at the same weight 3 workouts in a row instead of 2 before adding 5 lb. is much more doable. Is this normal, or would it be a good idea to look more closely into why I can't do the standard progression?
    Last edited by Envoyy; 11-05-2019 at 02:12 PM.

LifterWest has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) LifterWest has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) LifterWest has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) LifterWest has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) LifterWest has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) LifterWest has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) LifterWest has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) LifterWest has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) LifterWest has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) LifterWest has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) LifterWest has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Disclaimer: I'm a beginner too.

Pull your shoulders back. You may already be doing that but tough to see with the hoody. Your back is straight but I'm suspecting the drop is causing the back pain. Are you trying to keep it quiet? The bar needs to go down a bit faster that that in a controlled fashion.

Also, the bar is traveling around your knee. I even see you knocking the bar on the way down which means you are bending your knee too early. Wait for the bar to just go past the kneecap before bending it.

BromanianDL has a spectacular aura about. (+250) BromanianDL has a spectacular aura about. (+250) BromanianDL has a spectacular aura about. (+250) BromanianDL has a spectacular aura about. (+250) BromanianDL has a spectacular aura about. (+250) BromanianDL has a spectacular aura about. (+250) BromanianDL has a spectacular aura about. (+250) BromanianDL has a spectacular aura about. (+250) BromanianDL has a spectacular aura about. (+250) BromanianDL has a spectacular aura about. (+250) BromanianDL has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    I think you are losing your neutral back on the way down. Go hips back first, and then bend the knees as the bar crosses them. From the side view, you want the barbell to go straight up and down.

OHP is hard to progress on, don't worry about it.

Originally Posted by LifterWest View Post
    Disclaimer: I'm a beginner too.

Pull your shoulders back. You may already be doing that but tough to see with the hoody. Your back is straight but I'm suspecting the drop is causing the back pain. Are you trying to keep it quiet? The bar needs to go down a bit faster that that in a controlled fashion.

Also, the bar is traveling around your knee. I even see you knocking the bar on the way down which means you are bending your knee too early. Wait for the bar to just go past the kneecap before bending it.
    Yeah, I try not to be loud; the gym would be fine with it but when I see guys DL'ing three times what I am not needing to drop it fast it would make me feel a little guilty if I did. I'm not exactly sure if I'm retracting my shoulder blades myself, but I'll consciously try it and see if it makes a difference. And I feel like you're probably right about bending my knees too early, thanks!

Originally Posted by BromanianDL View Post
    I think you are losing your neutral back on the way down. Go hips back first, and then bend the knees as the bar crosses them. From the side view, you want the barbell to go straight up and down.

OHP is hard to progress on, don't worry about it.
    Thanks!

LifterWest has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) LifterWest has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) LifterWest has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) LifterWest has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) LifterWest has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) LifterWest has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) LifterWest has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) LifterWest has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) LifterWest has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) LifterWest has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) LifterWest has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    And regarding OHP, yes it is toughest to progress on. Don't change the program, just work through it. I will say OHP is very susceptible to even the slightest of poor forms. I can sense difference between reps where I make any one mistake.

1. Squeeze your glutes.
    2. Ensure bar travels straight above the shoulder by moving your head around the bar. But don't lean back too much.
    3. Rest the bar in right above the meaty part of your palm. Don't extend your wrists.
    4. Keep elbows slightly ahead of the bar
    5. Don't cheat by using leg drive/bounce

dski79 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) dski79 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) dski79 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) dski79 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) dski79 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) dski79 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) dski79 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) dski79 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) dski79 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) dski79 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) dski79 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    get deeper with your hips a tad more