VTLifts has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) VTLifts has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) VTLifts has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) VTLifts has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) VTLifts has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) VTLifts has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) VTLifts has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) VTLifts has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) VTLifts has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) VTLifts has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) VTLifts has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

How to get adj. dumbbells with "pointy" ends up for presses without bruising thighs

I just built an in-home gym.

I have a set of 1" adjustable dumbbells with spiral collars that can hold up to 80lbs. (EDIT: can hold 4 plates, so in theory could get some 15lbs & make it 120lbs)

Quickly realized that I cannot rest the dumbbells on my thigh and propel them up for shoulder/incline presses as the ends dig in to my thighs. It is not a flat/flush surface like the pro-style dumbbells at the gym but rather the exposed 1" threaded rod. Left big bruising from my last session.

Any simple solutions to remedy this? Only idea I had is finding some large knee pads that could perhaps fit on my lower thighs? Does any company make some type of rubber cap to fit on the end? Probably only 1/2" of threaded rod is exposed?
    Last edited by VTLifts; 11-05-2019 at 07:49 AM.

vristang is a jewel in the rough. (+500) vristang is a jewel in the rough. (+500) vristang is a jewel in the rough. (+500) vristang is a jewel in the rough. (+500) vristang is a jewel in the rough. (+500) vristang is a jewel in the rough. (+500) vristang is a jewel in the rough. (+500) vristang is a jewel in the rough. (+500) vristang is a jewel in the rough. (+500) vristang is a jewel in the rough. (+500) vristang is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    I have been just fine resting the flat plate on my thigh.

Maybe switching to a 25lb plate will allow more flat area to rest on your thigh?
    Jason
    First USAPL meet Feb 17th, 2017. Results S/B/D - 350/303/419
    Building a garage gym...

My advice is from personal experience only, use at your own risk, lol

VTLifts has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) VTLifts has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) VTLifts has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) VTLifts has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) VTLifts has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) VTLifts has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) VTLifts has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) VTLifts has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) VTLifts has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) VTLifts has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) VTLifts has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I played around with positioning last night. It's a little unstable trying to rest a 10lb plate on the edges while a 25lb plate (which I don't have), would be too big and awkward.

I can't post a link since I don't have enough posts, but on youtube I found a clip called "How to modify your adjustable dumbbells and save $$$" and he welded a 2.5lb plate to the star spin collars and then rests that 2.5lb on his thighs. Pretty novel idea. I don't have welding capabilities, but perhaps I could find someone and maybe this is a good option.

Heisman2 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Heisman2 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Heisman2 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Heisman2 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Heisman2 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Heisman2 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Heisman2 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Heisman2 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Heisman2 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Heisman2 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Heisman2 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Consider purchasing a thick wrap of some sort and wrapping your thighs with it while lifting so dissipate the force and lessen the impact on your skin.

beowulf359 is on a distinguished road. (+10) beowulf359 is on a distinguished road. (+10) beowulf359 is on a distinguished road. (+10) beowulf359 is on a distinguished road. (+10) beowulf359 is on a distinguished road. (+10) beowulf359 is on a distinguished road. (+10) beowulf359 is on a distinguished road. (+10) beowulf359 is on a distinguished road. (+10) beowulf359 is on a distinguished road. (+10) beowulf359 is on a distinguished road. (+10) beowulf359 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by VTLifts View Post
    I played around with positioning last night. It's a little unstable trying to rest a 10lb plate on the edges while a 25lb plate (which I don't have), would be too big and awkward.
    The 25lb plates are not as awkward as you think. In fact, it makes it easy and comfortable to rest on your thighs. I would seriously consider getting some.

Never accept defeat! backinthegymbro's Avatar
    backinthegymbro has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) backinthegymbro has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) backinthegymbro has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) backinthegymbro has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) backinthegymbro has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) backinthegymbro has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) backinthegymbro has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) backinthegymbro has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) backinthegymbro has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) backinthegymbro has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) backinthegymbro has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    My cousin has this technique where he swings the dumbbells up into starting position. So his arms hang straight, and with momentum flings em up.
    This removes putting them on your legs. But it requires technique.
    It also becomes near impossible once you go over 80s.
    Cobra Kai never dies!

dazitmayn is a jewel in the rough. (+500) dazitmayn is a jewel in the rough. (+500) dazitmayn is a jewel in the rough. (+500) dazitmayn is a jewel in the rough. (+500) dazitmayn is a jewel in the rough. (+500) dazitmayn is a jewel in the rough. (+500) dazitmayn is a jewel in the rough. (+500) dazitmayn is a jewel in the rough. (+500) dazitmayn is a jewel in the rough. (+500) dazitmayn is a jewel in the rough. (+500) dazitmayn is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    just get some thick padding for your thighs

supramax is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) supramax is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) supramax is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) supramax is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) supramax is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) supramax is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) supramax is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) supramax is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) supramax is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) supramax is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) supramax is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by VTLifts View Post
    I just built an in-home gym.

I have a set of 1" adjustable dumbbells with spiral collars that can hold up to 80lbs. (EDIT: can hold 4 plates, so in theory could get some 15lbs & make it 120lbs)

Quickly realized that I cannot rest the dumbbells on my thigh and propel them up for shoulder/incline presses as the ends dig in to my thighs. It is not a flat/flush surface like the pro-style dumbbells at the gym but rather the exposed 1" threaded rod. Left big bruising from my last session.

Any simple solutions to remedy this? Only idea I had is finding some large knee pads that could perhaps fit on my lower thighs? Does any company make some type of rubber cap to fit on the end? Probably only 1/2" of threaded rod is exposed?
    This is a common problem. There's been threads about it on the EQUIPMENT forum. PowerBlock user here and I don't remember what the suggestions/solutions were.
    It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society.

It's easy to not be afraid of tigers when you're sitting in your living room watching a television program about tigers. When you're in the jungle where the tigers are, it's quite a different story.

Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    As mentioned you'll have to put part of the plate on your quad and kick up from there.
    If there's a will there's a way.
    Good luck.

Gneejack is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Gneejack is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Gneejack is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Gneejack is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Gneejack is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Gneejack is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Gneejack is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Gneejack is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Gneejack is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Gneejack is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Gneejack is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Thick neoprene knee sleeves with knee wraps on top of that should do the trick.