gazbut has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Over 50 training advice needed

Hi all,
    As a 51 year old male who goes to the gym regularly but flits between workouts I'm wondering how others train?
    I'd describe myself as skinny fat being 5'10" and 12 1/2 stones, 25% body fat.
    Would really appreciate any advice or workout examples that would suit me.
    Thanks
    Gazbut

SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz
    I'm not quite there (48) but I can report that your training should be no different.

The only thing that might be worth noting is that some exercises can help with specific neck, shoulder, lower back/hip and knee problems.

Aside from following a routine that has properly balanced set of exercises (like Fierce 5), you might also add:
    - overhead shrugs
    - L flys
    - hamstring curls
    - hip abduction / adduction machine

Whatever you do, always train with maximum possible range of motion. Use smooth movement, never jerky, never cheat or use momentum. Swallow your pride and start with light weights if necessary.

Oleg1975K has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Oleg1975K has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Oleg1975K has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Oleg1975K has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Oleg1975K has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Oleg1975K has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Oleg1975K has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Oleg1975K has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Oleg1975K has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Oleg1975K has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Oleg1975K has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    25% of body fat is excessive for any age. It makes sense for you to lose weight at least up to 20-22% bf.
    bench press 167.5 kgx1, 125 kgx13, 100 kgх24
    standing press 100 kgx1, 82,5 kg 4 sets х 5 reps
    deadlift 230 kgx1, 200 kgx4, 190 kg 3 sets x 5 reps
    raw squat 180 kgx1, 150 kg 5x5
    chin-ups +25 kg x10 reps

gazbut has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Thumbs up Thanks for the replies guys

I'd be really grateful if anyone has any real world programs for average guys like me.

How often are you training?
    Do you fit cardio in as well?
    How do you fit it all in?

Thanks again
    Gazbut

Muscle Physiology Junkie Nwlifter's Avatar
    Nwlifter is a name known to all. (+5000) Nwlifter is a name known to all. (+5000) Nwlifter is a name known to all. (+5000) Nwlifter is a name known to all. (+5000) Nwlifter is a name known to all. (+5000) Nwlifter is a name known to all. (+5000) Nwlifter is a name known to all. (+5000) Nwlifter is a name known to all. (+5000) Nwlifter is a name known to all. (+5000) Nwlifter is a name known to all. (+5000) Nwlifter is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by gazbut View Post
    I'd be really grateful if anyone has any real world programs for average guys like me.

Thanks again
    Gazbut
    I'm 54, my training that fits me is more Vince Gironda based. Not because I can't train heavy but I just grow better training lighter.
    My current program is a condensed push pull split , done 3 days a week, ABA BAB etc.
    Like Sunday A, Tuesday B, Thursday A, Sunday B, Tuesday A , Thursday B etc.
    A
    Bench, Laterals , Lying triceps, Standing calves

B
    Squats, Rows, Shrugs, DB curls

I do 3x6 but with only 30 seconds rest between sets so the loads are lighter. I'm on week 11 of this, and so far have put a 1/2 inch on arms, and an inch on chest and thighs with no change in waist size. It's 'my' best way to train.
    Articles I've written for Weightrainer website
    http://www.weightrainer.net/articles.html#Ron_Sowers
    --------------------------------------------------------------------
    Must read books
    Enoka: Neuromechanics of Human Movement
    Siff: Supertraining
    Schoenfeld: Science and Development of Muscular Hypertrophy
    Komi: Strength and Power in Sport
    McRobert: Beyond Brawn

SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz
    Originally Posted by gazbut View Post

Thanks again
    Gazbut
    Do a novice routine like one of the ones we recommend in the sticky threads at the top of the forum.

Don't worry about how much training experienced guys are doing because you have to increase your workload as you get more advanced - so it's not a good a idea to copy that. 3 days a week lifting will be fine for any novice. Do cardio if you want. Perhaps 10 mins after each training session - or 1 or 2 20-30 min sessions on another day. Cardio is optional, the main reason for doing it is health.

supramax has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) supramax has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) supramax has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) supramax has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) supramax has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) supramax has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) supramax has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) supramax has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) supramax has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) supramax has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) supramax has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by SuffolkPunch View Post
    ... Cardio is optional, the main reason for doing it is health.
    That's a pretty good reason.