ADunn0MOTW is just really nice. (+1000) ADunn0MOTW is just really nice. (+1000) ADunn0MOTW is just really nice. (+1000) ADunn0MOTW is just really nice. (+1000) ADunn0MOTW is just really nice. (+1000) ADunn0MOTW is just really nice. (+1000) ADunn0MOTW is just really nice. (+1000) ADunn0MOTW is just really nice. (+1000) ADunn0MOTW is just really nice. (+1000) ADunn0MOTW is just really nice. (+1000) ADunn0MOTW is just really nice. (+1000)

Hook grip questions

I want to transition from deadlifting with a mixed grip to a hook grip. When I pull mixed grip my right hand is supinated and my left pronated.

When I try hook grip I always feel the bar roll backward and this usually pulls the bar out of my right hand.

I don't deadlift using chalk - is this necessary for hook grip? Do you need to squeeze hard with your index/ middle finger to do hook grip? Do the other fingers (pinkie and ring) not need to squeeze as hard? Should you still train grip to get to the point where you can squeeze your thumb/ the bar hard enough to stop bar roll?
    Drink up boyo

rhadam has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) rhadam has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) rhadam has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) rhadam has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) rhadam has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) rhadam has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) rhadam has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) rhadam has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) rhadam has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) rhadam has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) rhadam has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Reasoning for wanting to try hook? If you're worried about development issues with mixed grip, you could try simply alternating your over/under hand throughout your sets. As far as hook grip goes, ideally yes you're using chalk which will help, that and find a better texas bar with grip.
    USAF
    LEO

Operation Inherent Resolve ~ 2019

ADunn0MOTW is just really nice. (+1000) ADunn0MOTW is just really nice. (+1000) ADunn0MOTW is just really nice. (+1000) ADunn0MOTW is just really nice. (+1000) ADunn0MOTW is just really nice. (+1000) ADunn0MOTW is just really nice. (+1000) ADunn0MOTW is just really nice. (+1000) ADunn0MOTW is just really nice. (+1000) ADunn0MOTW is just really nice. (+1000) ADunn0MOTW is just really nice. (+1000) ADunn0MOTW is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by rhadam View Post
    Reasoning for wanting to try hook? If you're worried about development issues with mixed grip, you could try simply alternating your over/under hand throughout your sets. As far as hook grip goes, ideally yes you're using chalk which will help, that and find a better texas bar with grip.
    There's a few reasons, I was a bit worried about the imbalances it may have been causing because I've got a hip shift in my squat and I notice that my hips naturally shift to the side during deadlifts and things like that - I worry that the position for a mixed grip deadlift has caused one of my right hamstring to be more tight than the left which I feel has lead to me injuring it when I squat or pull with straps. I tried to switch up my mixed grip but I found that if I have my left hand supinated my elbow always flexes. I also heard that hook grip can allow you to grip more than you could do mixed and my mixed grip deadlift is 475 but I can pull 475x4 with straps. The idea that I got with hook grip was that you could grip on to most weights as long as you could deal with the pain on your thumbs. I was just wanting my raw deadlift to be somewhat similar to my deadlift with straps.

Thanks for the tips about the bar, how much does the bar/ knurling/ grip matter with hook grip? If I'm still unable to pull significant weight with a regular gym barbell does that mean I would likely not be able to pull a huge amount on a Texas bar?
    Drink up boyo

rhadam has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) rhadam has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) rhadam has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) rhadam has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) rhadam has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) rhadam has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) rhadam has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) rhadam has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) rhadam has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) rhadam has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) rhadam has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Well right off the bat I will encourage you to work on that tightness in your lower posterior. Let's say you switch to a double overhand grip permanently.. you still will have some mobility issues that need to be addressed. Hook grip is a great idea to start now and leave mixed grip for random 1RM days. Thumbs will be an issue, so hopefully yours are better than mine which always feel like they are about to dislocate. However your mixed grip 1RM shouldn't be too much lighter than your 1RM with straps. Do you do rack deads or anything to help with grip strength? Hook grip will definitely improve your grip, which is a huge bonus for keeping those 1RM numbers climbing. Bar grip definitely matters, and something with more tread means better grip.
    USAF
    LEO

Well right off the bat I will encourage you to work on that tightness in your lower posterior. Let's say you switch to a double overhand grip permanently.. you still will have some mobility issues that need to be addressed. Hook grip is a great idea to start now and leave mixed grip for random 1RM days. Thumbs will be an issue, so hopefully yours are better than mine which always feel like they are about to dislocate. However your mixed grip 1RM shouldn't be too much lighter than your 1RM with straps. Do you do rack deads or anything to help with grip strength? Hook grip will definitely improve your grip, which is a huge bonus for keeping those 1RM numbers climbing. Bar grip definitely matters, and something with more tread means better grip.
    Yeah, I hadn't been doing any grip work really apart from double overhand rows, Kroc rows and double over hand SLDLs and things like that. So grip strength is needed for hook grip? I was under the impression that you could kind of grip on to anything as long as you could take the pressure on your thumbs.
    Drink up boyo

Originally Posted by ADunn0MOTW View Post
    Yeah, I hadn't been doing any grip work really apart from double overhand rows, Kroc rows and double over hand SLDLs and things like that. So grip strength is needed for hook grip? I was under the impression that you could kind of grip on to anything as long as you could take the pressure on your thumbs.
    Grip strength matters for everything OLY-related brah. I'd add in some rack deads at least. Your thumbs will want to give out for sure, but getting your hands/wrists/forearms acclimated to heavier weight is always a good thing. Grip and forearm work is probably the most overlooked training after calf work.
    USAF
    LEO

Grip strength matters for everything OLY-related brah. I'd add in some rack deads at least. Your thumbs will want to give out for sure, but getting your hands/wrists/forearms acclimated to heavier weight is always a good thing. Grip and forearm work is probably the most overlooked training after calf work.
    Sorry, just to clarify: are you recommending rack deads double overhand to work on grip or rack deads with hook grip to work on hook? Regardless, I will be trying to add more grip and forearm stuff now so thank you for your suggestion.
    Drink up boyo