GemmaRalph has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Fat not shifting

Hey,

I’ve been following everything I think I should to lose fat for 8 weeks now and nothing!

I’m a 30 year old female, 65kg (10.4), BF% 24. I’m trying to lose fat and gain muscle, specifically in my glues / legs.

I’ve been doing 5x week workouts (2 heavy leg days, 2 spin, 1 core & HIIT plus using MFP to track food intake and macros. I’m currently aiming for 40% protein (180g) and 30% each on carbs and fat. I am sometimes up on fat and lower on protein but not by loads. Calories are 1500 a day

In the 8 weeks that I’ve been doing this, absolutely nothing has changed aesthetically. BF% as I started & weight the same. I’ve only just start measuring so not sure about that but it doesn’t look like anything changed.

I have more energy but that’s it.

Where am I going wrong? Should I just keep at it or do I need to change something?

spradish has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) spradish has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) spradish has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) spradish has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) spradish has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) spradish has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) spradish has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) spradish has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) spradish has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) spradish has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) spradish has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    If you haven't had any weight loss in 4 weeks, drop your calories a bit. Start with dropping them by 100 for now.

squareznboxez has a spectacular aura about. (+250) squareznboxez has a spectacular aura about. (+250) squareznboxez has a spectacular aura about. (+250) squareznboxez has a spectacular aura about. (+250) squareznboxez has a spectacular aura about. (+250) squareznboxez has a spectacular aura about. (+250) squareznboxez has a spectacular aura about. (+250) squareznboxez has a spectacular aura about. (+250) squareznboxez has a spectacular aura about. (+250) squareznboxez has a spectacular aura about. (+250) squareznboxez has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    An intersting article I found interesting, studies show appetite increases with an increase in exercise.

I find it good to have access to both HIIT and long form cardio (jogging/walking, cycling, swimming etc)

Cutting down to 2 meals/day allowing your insulin to stay sensitive also a good way to limit calorie intake.

https://www.bicycling.com/news/a2625...rz5oob1VPpHpEg

Never accept defeat! backinthegymbro's Avatar
    backinthegymbro has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) backinthegymbro has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) backinthegymbro has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) backinthegymbro has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) backinthegymbro has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) backinthegymbro has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) backinthegymbro has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) backinthegymbro has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) backinthegymbro has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) backinthegymbro has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) backinthegymbro has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Do you count calories strictly? Do you eat a deficit? Losing fat is mostly based on diet.
    Cobra Kai never dies!

shmanks is on a distinguished road. (+10) shmanks is on a distinguished road. (+10) shmanks is on a distinguished road. (+10) shmanks is on a distinguished road. (+10) shmanks is on a distinguished road. (+10) shmanks is on a distinguished road. (+10) shmanks is on a distinguished road. (+10) shmanks is on a distinguished road. (+10) shmanks is on a distinguished road. (+10) shmanks is on a distinguished road. (+10) shmanks is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    are you weighing everything that you eat? Make sure you are counting everything including butter, oils that you cook with. I was surprised when I weighed everything how bad my estimating skills were with food haha. Good luck and keep up the hard work the weight should be coming off

Maverick2015 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Maverick2015 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Maverick2015 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Maverick2015 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Maverick2015 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Maverick2015 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Maverick2015 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Maverick2015 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Maverick2015 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Maverick2015 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Maverick2015 is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    You need to drop your calories if it has been that long. The calculators are just estimates and trial and error are the best ways to get your actual TDEE.

There is one thing I see a lot that I want to make sure you are not doing. That is subtracting calories burned in exercise from your daily tracking to get to the 1500 calories you stated. Your TDEE already takes exercise into account. So if you are tracking 1500 calories, then make sure that is purely 1500 calories consumed daily. For example, not 1700 calories consumed minus 200 calories of exercise. It sounds like this doesn't apply based on your post, but I see it too often not to mention it as a possible reason.
    Was 280+ at the beginning of 2019 (highest recorded weight is 290 on Dec 13, 2018).

Jan 01, 2020...202.0
    Jan 08, 2020...goal is 200.5

Thanks everyone.

I AM doing that (adding workouts to my tracker which then go back onto my calories) 🙈 maybe that’s where I’m going wrong.

Will stop doing it & see how I get on.

Any tips for keeping that fat down a bit & protein high? My breakfast (3 eggs) almost takes me to 50% of my fat allowance!!

I’m thinking maybe adding a low sugar protein shake?

hardyboysare has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) hardyboysare has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) hardyboysare has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) hardyboysare has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) hardyboysare has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) hardyboysare has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) hardyboysare has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) hardyboysare has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) hardyboysare has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) hardyboysare has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) hardyboysare has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by GemmaRalph View Post
    Thanks everyone.

I AM doing that (adding workouts to my tracker which then go back onto my calories) ������ maybe that’s where I’m going wrong.

Will stop doing it & see how I get on.

Any tips for keeping that fat down a bit & protein high? My breakfast (3 eggs) almost takes me to 50% of my fat allowance!!

I’m thinking maybe adding a low sugar protein shake?
    You don't need 180g of protein that is overkill there is no problem having that amount but no added effects will exist as the excess protein will be converted into glucose or excreted. I don't even take that amount in on a regular bases and I'm about 84kg 6ft 2 and male.

Read this you don't need to use percentages you need grams by weight for macros:-

https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showt...hp?t=173439001

As for low calorie protein sources this may help:-

https://www.eatthis.com/best-ever-pr...r-weight-loss/

https://www.myfooddata.com/articles/...in-protein.php
    Last edited by hardyboysare; 11-02-2019 at 02:24 AM.

Never accept defeat! backinthegymbro's Avatar
    backinthegymbro has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) backinthegymbro has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) backinthegymbro has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) backinthegymbro has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) backinthegymbro has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) backinthegymbro has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) backinthegymbro has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) backinthegymbro has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) backinthegymbro has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) backinthegymbro has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) backinthegymbro has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Don't worry bout fat allowance. It's about calories.
    Cobra Kai never dies!

NinaB55 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) NinaB55 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) NinaB55 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) NinaB55 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) NinaB55 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) NinaB55 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) NinaB55 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) NinaB55 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) NinaB55 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) NinaB55 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) NinaB55 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Please ABSOLUTELY worry about fat allowance!

You need to meet your daily minimum allowance for fat and protein.

Read the links that Hardy attached.

All the best.

I can’t get that first link to work

I’m currently set to 113g carbs, 150g protein & 50g fat.

I’m 144lbs and would really like to grow muscle and lose some fat at the same time. Not worried about how heavy or light I am at all.

Sorry, not new to the gym but the whole nutrition side I’ve never looked at before.

snailsrus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) snailsrus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) snailsrus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) snailsrus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) snailsrus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) snailsrus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) snailsrus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) snailsrus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) snailsrus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) snailsrus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) snailsrus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Can’t subtract cals burned from daily cals total

I eat ~2200 cals a day for maintenance

If I subtracted the cals “burned” according to inaccurate machines or trackers I would only be getting 1000ish which would allow me 3200 cals and at that I would gain weight

It’s about cals in vs cals out besides getting the minimum protein and fat needed for function.
    Insta is username snails.r.us

Originally Posted by snailsrus View Post
    Can’t subtract cals burned from daily cals total

I eat ~2200 cals a day for maintenance

If I subtracted the cals “burned” according to inaccurate machines or trackers I would only be getting 1000ish which would allow me 3200 cals and at that I would gain weight

It’s about cals in vs cals out besides getting the minimum protein and fat needed for function.
    Thanks

I’ve stopped that now. My cals are at 1500 a day which I find fine. It’s ‘fat’ I’m always going over trying to get my protein in!

hardyboysare has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) hardyboysare has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) hardyboysare has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) hardyboysare has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) hardyboysare has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) hardyboysare has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) hardyboysare has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) hardyboysare has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) hardyboysare has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) hardyboysare has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) hardyboysare has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Thanks

I’ve stopped that now. My cals are at 1500 a day which I find fine. It’s ‘fat’ I’m always going over trying to get my protein in!
    Hmm the link worked for me. Anyway here it is again:-

https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showt...hp?t=173439001 - Calories and macros

If still not working here is the important part about calories and macros.

Estimating your TDEE

The average number of calories you expend per day is called your total daily energy expenditure (TDEE). To estimate it, it's easiest to use a TDEE calculator such as: https://www.freedieting.com/tools/ca...calculator.htm

Keep in mind this number is only an estimate. What your real TDEE is can be found out by monitoring your weight and calorie intake over time.

In order to maintain weight eat the amount of calories of your TDEE.

In order to gain weight add a moderate amount of calories to your TDEE, for example 300 calories.

In order to lose weight subtract a moderate amount of calories from your TDEE, for example 500 calories.

Adjust your intake based on what happens on the scale over time, for example one or two weeks. Keep in mind that your weight will fluctuate daily. This fluctuation can be up to several pounds. In order to minimise fluctuations weigh yourself first thing in the morning after visiting the toilet.

If you’d like to minimise weight fluctuations further consider tracking your weight with a moving 7 day average (a.k.a. rolling average) or a weekly average. How to calculate a weekly average or rolling average can be found on Google. There are a few smartphone apps that can do it for you, for example: Libra (Android) and Happy Scale (IOS).

Suggested rate of weight gain and loss

Losing weight too fast can result in muscle loss while gaining weight too fast can result in excessive fat gain. In order to avoid muscle loss and excessive fat gain, here are some suggestions.

Suggested rate of weight gain for an average beginning 170 pound lifter: about 2 pounds per month.
    Smaller people and people who have been lifting longer tend to do better with slower rates of weight gain, say 1 to 2 pounds per month.

Suggested rate of weight loss for an average beginning 200 pound lifter: 1 to 2 pounds per week.
    Smaller, leaner and/or more advanced lifters often do better on slower rates of weight loss, for example 1 or 1.5 pounds per week.

Keep in mind that the above numbers are merely suggestions. What the ideal rate is depends on the individual and his/her preferences.

Macronutrient Intake

Make sure that your diet meets the minimum protein and fat intake.

Protein minimum: 0.7 gram per pound of bodyweight (or target/ideal weight in the obese).
    (for optimal body building purposes and during energy deficit higher intakes may provide additional benefits.)

Fat minimum: 0.4 gram per pound of bodyweight (or target/ideal weight in the obese).

Remaining caloric budget: whatever mix of macronutrients you prefer and/or allows you to perform and feel well. Some people do better on a higher carb intakes while other people do better on moderate or lower carb intakes. It is not necessary to set a specific numbers for each macro, what matters is that the total calories, minimum fat and protein are achieved.

Macro Percentages

Do not use macro percentages (for example 40/40/20). Your body does not care about percentages, it has minimum requirements.
    As you can see there is no limit for fat you just need to hit your minimums for protein and fats within your caloric level.

As for attempting to build muscle and lose fat your caloric level of 1500 is unlikely to cause that results as the caloric deficit will be too great. Likewise if you have been training for a few years it does get harder to achieve a recomp without close attention to nutrition. It may be worth posting a body pic in order to assess the best target and your current major lifts strength wise (either 1rm or 5rm) is fine.

Likewise how long have you been weight training for? And what progression have you made?

Xenuprime is a name known to all. (+5000) Xenuprime is a name known to all. (+5000) Xenuprime is a name known to all. (+5000) Xenuprime is a name known to all. (+5000) Xenuprime is a name known to all. (+5000) Xenuprime is a name known to all. (+5000) Xenuprime is a name known to all. (+5000) Xenuprime is a name known to all. (+5000) Xenuprime is a name known to all. (+5000) Xenuprime is a name known to all. (+5000) Xenuprime is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Thanks

Like you said above, try swapping the eggs in the morning for a shake. I like Syntha 6 Edge (low carb and tastes fantastic). Whole foods are generally better than supplements, but a high quality one, once a day should be fine.

As far as hitting your protein goal without going over your fat, are you eating any chicken breast? That's a staple for getting protein in. Also tuna (in water, not oil). Just remember to count any sauces / marinades, they really add up.

Train hard play harder Tommy W.'s Avatar
    Tommy W. has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Tommy W. has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Tommy W. has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Tommy W. has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Tommy W. has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Tommy W. has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Tommy W. has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Tommy W. has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Tommy W. has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Tommy W. has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Tommy W. has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    If you're more concerned with fatloss concentrate on THAT. Adding muscle at the same time is very difficult and can actually cause no progress in either a fatloss or muscle building direction. Keep training to preserve your lean mass and lower your calories from where you are now so 200 a day to start. You're also probably miscounting. You'll most likely need to get more aggressive than you think with a deficit.
    If you don't get what you want you didn't want it bad enough

Thank you. Worked this time.

I just wrote you a really detailed reply and got an error message annoyingly!

I weight trained for about 4 years before having a year off (with moderate, less focused exercise). I’ve been back on it properly for about 9/10 weeks now. I do 2x leg sessions a week as heavy as I possibly can and mixing it up with 2 spin classes and a Grit session (HIIT).

My natural shape isn’t great so I’m hoping to grow my glutes and tighten up my waist. I’m not fat but would like to lose a bit from my stomach which is where I tend to be biggest.

snailsrus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) snailsrus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) snailsrus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) snailsrus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) snailsrus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) snailsrus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) snailsrus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) snailsrus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) snailsrus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) snailsrus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) snailsrus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)

I weight trained for about 4 years before having a year off (with moderate, less focused exercise). I’ve been back on it properly for about 9/10 weeks now. I do 2x leg sessions a week as heavy as I possibly can and mixing it up with 2 spin classes and a Grit session (HIIT).

My natural shape isn’t great so I’m hoping to grow my glutes and tighten up my waist. I’m not fat but would like to lose a bit from my stomach which is where I tend to be biggest.
    Hope I helped! My mom did the same thing I was talking about for years
    Insta is username snails.r.us

Train hard play harder Tommy W.'s Avatar
    Tommy W. has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Tommy W. has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Tommy W. has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Tommy W. has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Tommy W. has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Tommy W. has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Tommy W. has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Tommy W. has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Tommy W. has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Tommy W. has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Tommy W. has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)

Good luck.....
    If you don't get what you want you didn't want it bad enough