Law929 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Law929 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Law929 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Law929 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Law929 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Law929 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Law929 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Law929 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Progress pics ... some thoughts

Hi all,

Posted here a few times before. Thought that I would show a progress pic (older pic is from about a year ago and then now). I am 170cm / 76kg.

I started a bulk after the old pic and then relatively quickly (within 3 months) decided to cut. Went to about 10% body fat and then decided to bulk again. My diet is honestly a bit all over the place -- I eat clean but in bulking phases I am pretty sure I don't eat enough. I also have a relatively strong desire to eat vegan given the alleged health and environmental benefits. Getting adequate protein is hard without feeling like a human compost machine. Some great new supplements out there though.

My training has been relatively constant in that I am always hitting the big three at least twice a week. Frequency though has varied -- I did do a 5 day routine for about 2 months, decided it wasn't sustainable, then did a 3 day full body workout, and now am at a 4 day upper/lower. With the latter, I can be in and out of the gym in about an hour / 1:15.

In the "old pic" max lifts were for squats ~120kg and for deadlifts ~150kg and probably ~90kg bench. I haven't tested a 1RM in a while, but in the last few weeks, I did 4x3 at 140kg in squats and 1x2 at 170kn deadlift. I haven't really done the barbell bench lift in a while. Only dumbbells.

Ultimate goal for me is to get bigger but not terribly much fatter. Although overall I am hypertrophy oriented, I have fun pulling / pushing big (for me) weights as well and that is always the first thing I do when I get in to the gym. After that, I chase a pump.

Happy to hear any thoughts.
    Attached Images
    Last edited by Law929; 10-31-2019 at 02:26 PM. Reason: Adding additional picture

stockriderman has a spectacular aura about. (+250) stockriderman has a spectacular aura about. (+250) stockriderman has a spectacular aura about. (+250) stockriderman has a spectacular aura about. (+250) stockriderman has a spectacular aura about. (+250) stockriderman has a spectacular aura about. (+250) stockriderman has a spectacular aura about. (+250) stockriderman has a spectacular aura about. (+250) stockriderman has a spectacular aura about. (+250) stockriderman has a spectacular aura about. (+250) stockriderman has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Originally Posted by Law929 View Post
    Hi all,

Posted here a few times before. Thought that I would show a progress pic (older pic is from about a year ago and then now). I am 170cm / 76kg.

I started a bulk after the old pic and then relatively quickly (within 3 months) decided to cut. Went to about 10% body fat and then decided to bulk again. My diet is honestly a bit all over the place -- I eat clean but in bulking phases I am pretty sure I don't eat enough. I also have a relatively strong desire to eat vegan given the alleged health and environmental benefits. Getting adequate protein is hard without feeling like a human compost machine. Some great new supplements out there though.

My training has been relatively constant in that I am always hitting the big three at least twice a week. Frequency though has varied -- I did do a 5 day routine for about 2 months, decided it wasn't sustainable, then did a 3 day full body workout, and now am at a 4 day upper/lower. With the latter, I can be in and out of the gym in about an hour / 1:15.

In the "old pic" max lifts were for squats ~120kg and for deadlifts ~150kg and probably ~90kg bench. I haven't tested a 1RM in a while, but in the last few weeks, I did 4x3 at 140kg in squats and 1x2 at 170kn deadlift. I haven't really done the barbell bench lift in a while. Only dumbbells.

Ultimate goal for me is to get bigger but not terribly much fatter. Although overall I am hypertrophy oriented, I have fun pulling / pushing big (for me) weights as well and that is always the first thing I do when I get in to the gym. After that, I chase a pump.

Happy to hear any thoughts.
    tbh it's hard to see the difference in your pics. If you didn't say anything, I'd even say 1st one is the newer as you seem a bit leaner there. In any case, as a natural athlete, it's either a bit big and strong or less fat and weaker. I understood long time ago it can't be both.
    I also hope you know that pump doesn't mean growth. Well, it is, but not really. I am sure articles and videos on this topic would explain better what I mean.
    Foodwise, I hear you as have friends in the same boat. They didn't grow as much as I did due to their diet. We all known diet is 70% and it seems they can't get enough protein and perhaps other nutrients.
    In any case, glad to see you try and stay fit, that's what counts.

Law929 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Law929 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Law929 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Law929 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Law929 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Law929 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Law929 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Law929 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by stockriderman View Post
    tbh it's hard to see the difference in your pics. If you didn't say anything, I'd even say 1st one is the newer as you seem a bit leaner there. In any case, as a natural athlete, it's either a bit big and strong or less fat and weaker. I understood long time ago it can't be both.
    So, I've been training now relatively consistently for close to 4 years. As far as the weights I can move, they are at a solid intermediate level. I haven't developed the physique that I would "dream of" but I have definitely put on a bit of muscle. As a natural, I think what has surprised me most is how strong the role of genetics is. I know I am not at my genetic potential, but newby gains are gone and its pretty slow moving. Discouraging to a degree because the media (social media, blogs, etc.) gives you a false impression.

I also hope you know that pump doesn't mean growth. Well, it is, but not really. I am sure articles and videos on this topic would explain better what I mean.
    By chasing the pump for me, I just meant really using higher rep ranges to get closer to failure with isolation exercises. Typically for squats and DLs, I am really at a low rep range (squats: 3 -6; DLs 2-4); but, for instance, after a 3x3 low rep squats, I might blast out 3x15 on the leg press / hack squat to really hit my quads. Weights are lighter, of course, but generally always taking it to RPE +8.5.

Foodwise, I hear you as have friends in the same boat. They didn't grow as much as I did due to their diet. We all known diet is 70% and it seems they can't get enough protein and perhaps other nutrients.
    In any case, glad to see you try and stay fit, that's what counts.
    By far the hardest thing for me to regulate. My diet is very much "flexitarian" in that there are lots of times I go back to eating meat. But, then I have phases where I try to eat vegan -- veganism is way to strict for me to be consistent about. Frankly, with kids, I also end up eating whatever is left over.

tblodg15 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) tblodg15 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) tblodg15 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) tblodg15 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) tblodg15 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) tblodg15 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) tblodg15 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) tblodg15 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) tblodg15 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) tblodg15 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) tblodg15 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    I like to see guys come back and report how they are doing. I am amazed how many guys come on here and talk big plans and then disappear.

Progress is slow after a few years of being consistent but if you enjoy the process then it makes it worth it (along with the obvious health benefits).

I don’t think you are anywhere near 10% body fat in any of those pics. Or maybe the more recent ones are after the bulk?
    Bodybuilding is much more than an hour in the gym a few days a week---it's a lifestyle that changes all your perceptions about how to live, eat, and rest. It feeds the mind as much (and sometimes more so) than the body.
    ~Originally posted by ironwill2008

Payton1221 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Payton1221 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Payton1221 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Payton1221 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Payton1221 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Payton1221 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Payton1221 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Payton1221 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Payton1221 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Payton1221 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Payton1221 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Have you noticed the average 49 year old these days? You look much better than average and you admittedly are having fun. Keep after it.
    Pull-Up PR: https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=177233951

drudixon has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) drudixon has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) drudixon has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) drudixon has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) drudixon has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) drudixon has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) drudixon has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) drudixon has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) drudixon has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) drudixon has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) drudixon has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Didn't hear much about any kind of regimen or programming. Different programs belong at different phases of the journey. Would like you to follow a pre-written intermediate program and follow it for 3 months, then report back.
    B: 285
    S: 375
    D: 555