Thread: Hello!

Garthug will become famous soon enough. (+50) Garthug will become famous soon enough. (+50) Garthug will become famous soon enough. (+50) Garthug will become famous soon enough. (+50) Garthug will become famous soon enough. (+50) Garthug will become famous soon enough. (+50) Garthug will become famous soon enough. (+50) Garthug will become famous soon enough. (+50) Garthug will become famous soon enough. (+50) Garthug will become famous soon enough. (+50) Garthug will become famous soon enough. (+50)

Hello!

Hi everyone. I've been a regular lurker on this site for roughly a year now and I just wanted to post and thank you all for your contributions to the site. The majority of these forums (and many lifting websites in general) really seems to skew towards oneupmanship and a general toxic vibe, but this Over 35 section has been fantastic for me. I've picked up a lot of great advice and inspiration. I don't want to bore with long blocks of text, but I do plan to use this thread for a few questions that I've pondered from time to time. Thanks in advance for any future help, and keep doing what you do; some of you have helped/inspired me far more than you'd ever think.

Jerry

Garthug will become famous soon enough. (+50) Garthug will become famous soon enough. (+50) Garthug will become famous soon enough. (+50) Garthug will become famous soon enough. (+50) Garthug will become famous soon enough. (+50) Garthug will become famous soon enough. (+50) Garthug will become famous soon enough. (+50) Garthug will become famous soon enough. (+50) Garthug will become famous soon enough. (+50) Garthug will become famous soon enough. (+50) Garthug will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Okay, first question. I'm a member at Planet Fitness due to the price point and late night availability. I like doing deadlifts but I'm currently limited to doing them in a smith machine. Given the fixed path, is there anything I can do to supplement this lift? Goals are currently just general fitness as I continue to try to get in shape and remain active.

Crawling back under rock OldFartTom's Avatar
    OldFartTom has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) OldFartTom has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) OldFartTom has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) OldFartTom has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) OldFartTom has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) OldFartTom has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) OldFartTom has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) OldFartTom has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) OldFartTom has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) OldFartTom has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) OldFartTom has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Glute ham raise (GHR) is good for that, you can do it as a Floor GHR if there is no GHR thing in the gym. Here's an example of a Floor one with a barbell, but you can find something else like a locked Smith's machine or anything solid where you can get feet under.

grubman has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) grubman has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) grubman has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) grubman has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) grubman has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) grubman has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) grubman has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) grubman has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) grubman has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) grubman has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) grubman has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    Originally Posted by Garthug View Post
    I'm a member at Planet Fitness

I like doing deadlifts.
    First off, unlike a lot of people on the forums, I have nothing against PF (worked out there for about 3 years myself). They have all the tools a hard working, dedicated person needs to build a fantastic physique.

Deadlifts and squats are really about the only “problem” area, if you like doing them.

It’s sort of tangential to what you asked, but when I was working out there I asked the morning crew if they had a problem with me bringing in my stuff...dipping belt, chains, straps, ect. They didn’t. I’m wondering if they would allow you to bring in an Olympic bar if you asked? providing you have the room in your car, it wouldn’t really be much of a hassle. Bring it in, do your dead’s, throw it back in the car. Just an “outside the box” idea.

Originally Posted by OldFartTom View Post
    Glute ham raise (GHR) is good for that, you can do it as a Floor GHR if there is no GHR thing in the gym. Here's an example of a Floor one with a barbell, but you can find something else like a locked Smith's machine or anything solid where you can get feet under.
    Thanks for the suggestion. Today is a lower body day; I'm going to try that out today. I usually do leg curls on the machine; would you recommend GHR as an addition or a substitute?

Registered User risingstarl96a1's Avatar
    risingstarl96a1 is a name known to all. (+5000) risingstarl96a1 is a name known to all. (+5000) risingstarl96a1 is a name known to all. (+5000) risingstarl96a1 is a name known to all. (+5000) risingstarl96a1 is a name known to all. (+5000) risingstarl96a1 is a name known to all. (+5000) risingstarl96a1 is a name known to all. (+5000) risingstarl96a1 is a name known to all. (+5000) risingstarl96a1 is a name known to all. (+5000) risingstarl96a1 is a name known to all. (+5000) risingstarl96a1 is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Pistol Squat if you can do them, and progress adding resistance.

Muscles used

“It is not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent; it is the one most adaptable to change.” -Charles Darwin, 1809

Originally Posted by grubman View Post
    First off, unlike a lot of people on the forums, I have nothing against PF (worked out there for about 3 years myself). They have all the tools a hard working, dedicated person needs to build a fantastic physique.

Deadlifts and squats are really about the only “problem” area, if you like doing them.

It’s sort of tangential to what you asked, but when I was working out there I asked the morning crew if they had a problem with me bringing in my stuff...dipping belt, chains, straps, ect. They didn’t. I’m wondering if they would allow you to bring in an Olympic bar if you asked? providing you have the room in your car, it wouldn’t really be much of a hassle. Bring it in, do your dead’s, throw it back in the car. Just an “outside the box” idea.
    I do like squats as well and that was the one that has really given me fits at PF. Because the bar path on the smith machine is angled slightly, I struggled at first to find foot placement that didnt bring odd pains to my hips or knees. I'm very skittish about going too heavy on squats in the machine. I've tried to supplement a bit with leg press and the abductor/adductor machines though they only replicate so much.

I like the idea of the Olympic bar although it would first require me obtaining one. Do you have a recommendation? Or does it really matter too much? For reference, I've been lifting (regularly but not seriously, if that make sense) for roughly two years. My body weight has dropped from 265 to 200 and I can deadlift maybe 340 as a 1RM.

grubman has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) grubman has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) grubman has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) grubman has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) grubman has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) grubman has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) grubman has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) grubman has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) grubman has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) grubman has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) grubman has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    I like the idea of the Olympic bar although it would first require me obtaining one. Do you have a recommendation?.
    A used one on ********, or the cheapest one on Amazon. For your meager needs, there is no reason to spend a fortune.

Make sure to ask first...or just buy a rack, bench, and and Olympic set for your basement and workout there.

Originally Posted by risingstarl96a1 View Post
    Pistol Squat if you can do them, and progress adding resistance.
    Pistol squats look like a killer! Going to try a set today, thanks!

A used one on ********, or the cheapest one on Amazon. For your meager needs, there is no reason to spend a fortune.

Make sure to ask first...or just buy a rack, bench, and and Olympic set for your basement and workout there.
    Thank you. I have a tendency to overthink these things. When I first joined a gym, I spent a week reading up on things like gym etiquette before actually going, and spent another four weeks or so on the cardio machines before working up the courage to hit the free weights. The basement setup is a distant goal; although while I do have a very modest beginner bench and some weights down there, I've found that the act of leaving the house and going to a gym has been better for me than trying to get it done at home.

michaeljonnes is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Thank you for asking this question. I found the information I needed

Originally Posted by michaeljonnes View Post
    Great to hear! If you've got other questions, ask away. That's my plan for this thread, feel free to join in.

Alright, pistol squats darn near killed me. I managed to do 5 of the ugliest reps you've ever seen per leg, but I feel like I need an "Assisted Pistol Squat Machine" to get myself going with these. Trying to do them at the end of my normal routine might have not helped, either.

Glute Ham Raises were a little funky, too. I felt that more in my lower back than anywhere else. Is that a normal feeling? It wasn't necessarily a bad thing, it just wasn't what I was expecting.

For your meager needs, there is no reason to spend a fortune.
    Is there anything that you, or anyone else, would recommend NOT cheaping out on? As a for instance, I had to pick up a cheap pair of straps for deads and shrugs. I've had no issue until yesterday when I did deadlifts and the outside of my left hand went numb. I read up a bit and learned that I likely just had the strap too tight around my wrist...and also, how dare I lift without Versa Grips or Bear Komplex Hand Grips, etc. Both of which may be great, but are either necessary?

OldFartTom has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) OldFartTom has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) OldFartTom has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) OldFartTom has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) OldFartTom has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) OldFartTom has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) OldFartTom has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) OldFartTom has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) OldFartTom has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) OldFartTom has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) OldFartTom has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Thanks for the suggestion. Today is a lower body day; I'm going to try that out today. I usually do leg curls on the machine; would you recommend GHR as an addition or a substitute?
    I'd do Floor GHR before any leg curls and possibly add some leg curls (on a low weight for reps) afterwards. Just find what works for you.

By the way, are you running a particular program currently, or just following PPL (or something) doing as much as you can?

michaeljonnes Apologies if this is a comedy misunderstanding (please see the funny side if necessary) but your responses read like either AI/bot or someone who is from east Asia and English is a second language - however this doesn't match with your stated location LOS ANGELES, CA and your name

A knee injury even a minor one it is better to finish the cure. Then there may be complications. I was getting fluid. It is unpleasant and long. So fully recover
    I started with adjustable dumbbells and an ab roller. Then he added an adjustable bench and installed a horizontal bar.
    Are you a real user? Just asking

Originally Posted by OldFartTom View Post
    I'd do Floor GHR before any leg curls and possibly add some leg curls (on a low weight for reps) afterwards. Just find what works for you.

By the way, are you running a particular program currently, or just following PPL (or something) doing as much as you can?
    I suppose I should have started with this one, no? I'm basically just doing what I can at the moment, a somewhat U/L routine that fits my schedule. I work afternoons during the week and can't get into the gym until afterwards. I have a little more free time during the weekend to add a bit, but overall I've modified a couple of routines that I found and am trying to hit everything. All routines start with a treadmill walk warmup and end with about 20 minutes of stretching/foam rolling:

Mon: 60 seconds rest between each set. I also knock out 15 crunches in that 60 seconds.
    flat dumbbell bench press 3X8
    parallel bar dips 3x10 (I've only recently been able to complete all three sets without failing)
    standing dumbbell overhead press 3x8
    lateral dumbbell raises 2x10
    wrist curls 2x10
    reverse wrist curls 2x10

Tue: 60 seconds rest between each set. 15 crunches in that 60 seconds.
    leg press 3x6
    stiff legged deadlift in the smith machine 3x8
    chin up 2x10 (is the goal; my current PR is 7 and I'll use the assist machine for the second set)
    dumbbell row 2x10

Wed off

Thu: I go heavy and rest about 3 minutes between sets. All sets in a smith machine. Depending on how I feel, I'll either go to failure or leave a rep in the tank.
    deadlift (with straps) 4x6
    incline bench 4x6
    squat 4x6

Fri off

Sat: 60 seconds rest, no crunches.
    deadlift 3x10 (lighter weight, no straps to work on my grip)
    pendlay rows 3x8 (smith machine)
    overhead press 3x8 (smith machine)
    shrugs 3x10 (smith machine, straps, heavy)
    machine fly/rear delt fly 3x10 (I'm on the machine so I just alternate both with no rest. Is that what the kids call a super set?)
    lat pulldown 3x6
    barbell curl 3x10
    dumbbell hammer curl 3x10

Sun: 60 seconds rest on the first four exercises, 30 seconds on the rest
    squat 3x10 (lighter weight, sometimes I experiment with stance/foot placement)
    calf raise 3x10 (smith machine, heavy weight)
    seated leg curl machine 3x10
    leg extension machine 3x10
    torso rotation machine 2x10
    adductor machine 3x10
    abductor machine 3x10
    hanging knee raise 3x10 (bodyweight)
    glute bridges 3x10 (bodyweight)

The Sat/Sun routines are based somewhat on the layout of the gym but overall I try to start with compound and work towards isolations. I know there are beginner routines that are simpler/better but this is what I've fallen into.

I'd asked the night crew guys about bringing in my own bar and they were really nervous about it. The gym just opened a few months ago; not sure if the owner or GM is strict or hard to deal with or something...hopefully I hear back from them when I go in tonight.

I was a member at the local YMCA for about six months until they eliminated their later hours; for all the "no Lunks" propaganda, I see far more gym-stereotype people at Planet Fitness than I ever did at the Y. I'll grant that neither is probably a hardcore-type gym, but I still find it a little odd.

Lately I've been doing some neutral grip pullups at the end of some workouts; basically AMRAP sets until I can't do five in a set. If I do these or other bodyweight exercises (pushups, etc) tacked on at the end of a workout, is it detrimental?

Detrimental...? only detrimental for weakness!

I can't see many scenarios where doing pullups (etc) is going to be a bad thing at the end of the session. IMHO stopping short of failure is better but opinions on that will differ

Thanks for the help and the tips, Tom.

What kind or cardio do you folks enjoy doing? Usually, if I want to get some cardio in, I would do some running, but I have issues with (TMI) my nipples chafing, and pretty early in the process. Anyone have any remedies or tips to avoid that?

KidFreeze is just really nice. (+1000) KidFreeze is just really nice. (+1000) KidFreeze is just really nice. (+1000) KidFreeze is just really nice. (+1000) KidFreeze is just really nice. (+1000) KidFreeze is just really nice. (+1000) KidFreeze is just really nice. (+1000) KidFreeze is just really nice. (+1000) KidFreeze is just really nice. (+1000) KidFreeze is just really nice. (+1000) KidFreeze is just really nice. (+1000)
    I like to run for cardio. Check out Body Glide for the nips.

https://www.bodyglide.com/product/body/

I'm also a fan of outdoor jogging/running. Except for last 2 weeks when I felt like unwell, I jog 3 times a week but nothing heroic.

Personally, except for longer runs in rain/cold I've never suffered from that problem. Get a different running top. Use a small band aid before you run if you have to, but see if you can get low adhesion ones or you'll be chest-waxing around your nipples when you remove them afterwards (ouch!).

I've had a rough few weeks dealing with nagging little injuries, extended low grade sickness, and long hours at work. Finally getting back at it after a few weeks off; I'd forgotten how much I enjoy the DOMS feeling! I mean, it hurts like hell but it gives me a mental boost, like an affirmation that I'm doing something good for myself.

Couple questions:

How long is your workout? I see some people mention how they're in and out within 45 minutes. I feel like I need at least twice that amount of time; I've got about ten minutes' worth of warmup and about twenty minutes of stretching/foam rolling afterwards. I always shower afterwards, too. I always work up a bit of a sweat and it grosses me out a bit to see people finish a workout and walk right out the door, lol.

How often do you change up your routine? I've spent a good part of my time (roughly two years) just...doing stuff depending on how I feel and whats available. I've been following a routine for a few months now and am thinking of changing things up a bit. Do you change things up every few weeks? Four months? Never? Not looking for what's "right," just curious to see what others do.

Humble Megalomaniac ElrondHubbard's Avatar
    ElrondHubbard has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ElrondHubbard has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ElrondHubbard has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ElrondHubbard has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ElrondHubbard has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ElrondHubbard has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ElrondHubbard has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ElrondHubbard has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ElrondHubbard has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ElrondHubbard has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ElrondHubbard has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    I've had a rough few weeks dealing with nagging little injuries, extended low grade sickness, and long hours at work. Finally getting back at it after a few weeks off; I'd forgotten how much I enjoy the DOMS feeling! I mean, it hurts like hell but it gives me a mental boost, like an affirmation that I'm doing something good for myself.

Couple questions:

How long is your workout? I see some people mention how they're in and out within 45 minutes. I feel like I need at least twice that amount of time; I've got about ten minutes' worth of warmup and about twenty minutes of stretching/foam rolling afterwards. I always shower afterwards, too. I always work up a bit of a sweat and it grosses me out a bit to see people finish a workout and walk right out the door, lol.

How often do you change up your routine? I've spent a good part of my time (roughly two years) just...doing stuff depending on how I feel and whats available. I've been following a routine for a few months now and am thinking of changing things up a bit. Do you change things up every few weeks? Four months? Never? Not looking for what's "right," just curious to see what others do.
    I usually follow a specific plan for at least six months, usually longer. That's partly due to age, I think. My response is slower than it was in my twenties.
    “Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.”
    -Voltaire

My options are limited at PF, but there was a "Try the Y" day yesterday at the YMCA so I went there, excited about hitting some free weights. I started on the bench and worked my way up; I managed to bench 225 for 1 rep which was 25lbs over my old max. Just...friggin' awesome! Felt good to know that despite using PF for the past six months I'm still getting better.

A squat rack opened up so I figured I'd try the same; worked my way up to 315 for 3 reps, two reps better than I'd ever done before. Again, felt...accomplished, I suppose. Tried 335 but that wasn't happening. Legs were dead. Hopped on the treadmill to try walking it off a bit and wait for some floor space to open up so I could do some deadlifts. After a few minutes I had a massive adrenaline dump so I stretched and called it a day.

Now this morning...I ache! I expected to feel it in my glutes, triceps, etc, but I wasn't expecting to feel it so much in my upper back and shoulders. Point of the whole story is, man do I miss free weights. I really gotta figure out a way to work a better gym into my budget.