danielg733 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Tips for working out with a very physical job?

I've been working as a labourer for about 6 months now, and I'm finding it very very hard to make any gains at the gym. I've upped my diet to 800 calories above maintenance (eating 3,000 at 6ft/78kg) and yet I'm consistently losing weight, my lifts have stayed pretty much the same (my lifts are beginner level), but I feel like I'm actually putting on fat as I'm beginning to get man-boobs again. I would compare my job to doing non-stop lunges with 7kg dumbbells in each hand, while overhead pressing, for an entire shift. It absolutely ****s my body and I get very very exhausted.

This is the program I've been following. Prior to this I was doing SL 5x5 and I was having the same stagnant results. Part of the reason I switched to this current program was because my body is quite imbalanced (most muscles bigger on the left side of my body) and I felt that the isolation exercises may help (totally haven't helped at all).

3 days a week, rotating through A and B.

Workout A
    Bench Press 3x5
    Squat 3x5
    Incline DB Press 3x10
    Tricep Push-down 3x10
    Machine Flye 3x10
    Leg Extension 3x10
    Leg Curl 3x10

Workout B
    OHP 3x5
    Deadlifts 3x5
    Chinups 3x10
    Side-delt Cable Raises 3x10
    Seated Cable Row 3x10
    Face Pulls 3x10

I was hoping anyone may have been through something similar and may have some tips as to how I can get around this? I'm willing to look for another job if it turns out that my genetics just don't allow for this kind of lifestyle, but I'd rather not as it pays so well and the hours are perfect for me.

Oleg1975K has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Oleg1975K has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Oleg1975K has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Oleg1975K has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Oleg1975K has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Oleg1975K has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Oleg1975K has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Oleg1975K has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Oleg1975K has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Oleg1975K has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Oleg1975K has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    3000 kcal is not such a big supply of energy for a person engaged in physical work. Increase the flow of energy yet.
    bench press 167.5 kgx1, 125 kgx13, 100 kgх24
    standing press 100 kgx1, 82,5 kg 4 sets х 5 reps
    deadlift 230 kgx1, 200 kgx4, 190 kg 3 sets x 5 reps
    raw squat 180 kgx1, 150 kg 5x5
    chin-ups +25 kg x10 reps

Crawling back under rock OldFartTom's Avatar
    OldFartTom has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) OldFartTom has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) OldFartTom has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) OldFartTom has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) OldFartTom has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) OldFartTom has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) OldFartTom has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) OldFartTom has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) OldFartTom has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) OldFartTom has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) OldFartTom has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Forget gym and work and specific calorie numbers for a moment, let's keep this simple. Assuming good health...

If you eat X amount of food and you are losing weight, then you are eating less than your body needs to maintain.

You need to experiment to find the amount of food that keeps you the same (not gaining and not losing) "maintenance".

Once you have worked that out, only then we can start usefully talking numbers, like eating certain numbers of calories above or below maintenance etc.

Assuming that your ok with milk... try adding to your diet some milk *after* every meal (not before or you might accidentally eat less food) but sensible quantities don't go nuts

health4life24 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) health4life24 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) health4life24 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) health4life24 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) health4life24 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) health4life24 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) health4life24 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) health4life24 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) health4life24 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) health4life24 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) health4life24 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Physical job? No problem. Get up early and workout before you go to work when you’re fresh. Many of us on here get up at 3-4am to get our sessions in early. I don’t know what time you go to work. I have found this to be one of the most important things because if you work all day and are tired chances are you’re not gonna wanna train afterwards.

And a little dose of toughen the fuk up.

Not trying to sound harsh either it’s just the reality of the situation.

I work as a tree climber and am beating my body up regularly. I also lift 6 days a week.

Sometimes you’re gonna be sore and tired but you just gotta push through it and deal with it.
    Last edited by health4life24; 10-26-2019 at 01:12 AM.
    - Your mindset influences your outcome. It's time to take out phrases like "I can't" or "I don't have time" and replace them with phrases like "I will make the time" and "I will keep working at it until I find a way that works." Success starts with the right mindset and believing in yourself and your dreams.

grubman has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) grubman has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) grubman has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) grubman has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) grubman has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) grubman has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) grubman has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) grubman has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) grubman has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) grubman has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) grubman has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    Originally Posted by health4life24 View Post
    Physical job? No problem. Get up early and workout before you go to work when you’re fresh. Many of us on here get up at 3-4am to get our sessions in early. I don’t know what time you go to work. I have found this to be one of the most important things because if you work all day and are tired chances are you’re not gonna wanna train afterwards.

And a little dose of toughen the fuk up.

Not trying to sound harsh either it’s just the reality of the situation.

I work as a tree climber and am beating my body up regularly. I also lift 6 days a week.

Sometimes you’re gonna be sore and tired but you just gotta push through it and deal with it.
    ^^^What he said (would rep if I could)

Been at a physical job for 26 years now...it is what it is (and if lifting takes priority over making a living, you need to reassess your priorities...unless you are looking to be a pro bodybuilder).

Just take some time for trial and error. Find out how much lifting you can do to make progress while recovering properly. It’s the same basics, volume, frequency, and intensity...but they might have to change due to the job...that said, I see absolutely no reason why you couldn’t do your full body listed.