enviroclean is on a distinguished road. (+10)

Weighted Pull Ups and Dips..... KING of Upperbody?

So I made some post about 6 months back posting my routine and so forth. I pretty much got roasted on here, but no offense was taking. At the time, I didn't have access to a gym and was stuck working out at home. For 6 months, I did nothing but weighted pull ups, dips, pushups, squats, and deadlifts at home. I went from 138 lbs to 175 lbs in 6 months. (I understand this was all beginner gains as I hadn't worked out sense my teen age years.) Despite it being beginner gains, gains was my goal. So beginner or not, I'm not ashamed of the quick gains. Along the process, I my shoulders got really broad. My lats started coming out to where they are really noticeable, I had tremendous tricep growth, and so on.

Fast forward to now. I now have a gym membership. I'm at the gym every single day for 1-2 hours per day. However, I honestly feel that I'm not getting the same results in physical gains, nor in strength gains.

When I started out, I was only able to achieve 10 form push ups. After the first 5 months, I was doing sets of weighted dips and push ups with up to 100 lbs on my back, before my backpack started to rip. I went to the gym, my first time, I tested my 1rm, 3rm's. My bench is at 265, which is WAY BEYOND what I expected for 1rm, especially being that 6 months ago, I could only do 10 push ups, (less than 120 lbs of actual body weight.)

Now I've been in the gym for about 1.5 months now. My bench gains have only went up from 265 to 280 in that time. My dips are only progressing slowly with added weight. I switched from doing weighted pull ups 3 days a week, to two days a week. Same with all my pushing exercises. I also made the change of adding a lot of isolation movements, which I thought would give me another boost in the areas I isolate.

However, for some reason I still think I was getting way more strength gains and visual gains from sticking to weighted pull ups, dips, push ups, squats, and deadlifts 3x each a week. I feel that I'm wasting a lot more time doing isolation movements and it's starting to hender my progress?

Has anyone else noticed this?? Anyone else notice better results from sticking with weighted pull ups and dips?

The only benefit since going to the gym is having access to more weight for squats and deadlifts, and having a bench. I can honestly say, my chest has started growing since going to the gym. That's because I ran my backpack out of weight limit, now I'm able to keep adding weight. So I've actually benefited in the chest area from the gym, and also the legs.

However, my lats, triceps, forearms, and etc. have seemed to slow down after joining the gym???

Any pro's here with suggestions? Should I stick with only compound movements and quit wasting time isolating my triceps, etc.? I feel some areas MUST be isolated. For example, my trapz and my upper back, I feel shrugz and face pulls are a must isolation for me as I've noticed great results from them. It just seems like there's no point in isolating my lats with lat pull downs or my triceps, and instead should stick to weighted pull ups and dips for those two? Anyone notice the same?

TopHeavyMirin is just really nice. (+1000) TopHeavyMirin is just really nice. (+1000) TopHeavyMirin is just really nice. (+1000) TopHeavyMirin is just really nice. (+1000) TopHeavyMirin is just really nice. (+1000) TopHeavyMirin is just really nice. (+1000) TopHeavyMirin is just really nice. (+1000) TopHeavyMirin is just really nice. (+1000) TopHeavyMirin is just really nice. (+1000) TopHeavyMirin is just really nice. (+1000) TopHeavyMirin is just really nice. (+1000)
    before i joined the gym i was doing a ton of pushups and pullups. could easily pump out 100 pushups in a row and even did weighted pushups. i did this for about 6months or more. first time i went into the gym i was able to bench my own bodyweight for reps pretty easily. (this was way more than all my friends at the time). i know pushups have great and so do dips... but a 280lbs bench at 175lb is very impressive carry-over.

i still incoperate pullups and dips in my routine but not many pushups. how heavy do you dip?
    my... (for reps)
    weighted dips: 55lbs
    weighted pullups: 45lbs
    weighted pushups: 85lbs
    "Get Better Today" - Russel Orhii

DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    If you went from being able to do only 10 pushups to benching 280 in 6 months, you are either

1.) lying
    2.) genetically gifted and would see results from picking your nose.

12 pack > 6 pack PurmaBulker1984's Avatar
    PurmaBulker1984 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) PurmaBulker1984 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) PurmaBulker1984 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) PurmaBulker1984 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) PurmaBulker1984 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) PurmaBulker1984 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) PurmaBulker1984 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) PurmaBulker1984 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) PurmaBulker1984 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) PurmaBulker1984 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) PurmaBulker1984 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Bor & ohp. I have no back up to my statement but neither do you.
    Current max
    325 bb bench
    295 incl bb bench
    275 push press.

Married w/ 2 kids crew

nightanole is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) nightanole is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) nightanole is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) nightanole is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) nightanole is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) nightanole is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) nightanole is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) nightanole is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) nightanole is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) nightanole is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) nightanole is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by DCSpartan View Post
    If you went from being able to do only 10 pushups to benching 280 in 6 months, you are either

1.) lying
    "I went from 138 lbs to 175 lbs in 6 months. (I understand this was all beginner gains)"

37lbs, in six months, not a teenager....

DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by nightanole View Post
    "I went from 138 lbs to 175 lbs in 6 months. (I understand this was all beginner gains)"

37lbs, in six months, not a teenager....
    Seems legit.

FatBallz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) FatBallz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) FatBallz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) FatBallz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) FatBallz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) FatBallz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) FatBallz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) FatBallz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) FatBallz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) FatBallz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) FatBallz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Lmao. How about some pics, OP? I'd like to see your progress.
    Calls 'em like I sees 'em Crew
    Suomalainen Crew
    Feels like a manlet around Amazonian women Crew
    Gets turned on when looking in the mirror Crew

Formerly grouchyjarhead GrouchyUSMC's Avatar
    GrouchyUSMC has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GrouchyUSMC has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GrouchyUSMC has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GrouchyUSMC has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GrouchyUSMC has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GrouchyUSMC has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GrouchyUSMC has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GrouchyUSMC has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GrouchyUSMC has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GrouchyUSMC has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GrouchyUSMC has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Definitely want overhead work and a horizontal pull (press and Pendlay row).

I like dips and pull-ups a lot as well. First program I ever ran was just squats, dips, pull-ups, and abs 3x a week and I went from 145 to 173 in 8 weeks (I was doing GOMAD at the same time so drinking a ton of milk).

Enjoy them. If dips start to bother your shoulders as you go heavier, make the transition to rings before it bugs you a lot.

Originally Posted by TopHeavyMirin View Post
    before i joined the gym i was doing a ton of pushups and pullups. could easily pump out 100 pushups in a row and even did weighted pushups. i did this for about 6months or more. first time i went into the gym i was able to bench my own bodyweight for reps pretty easily. (this was way more than all my friends at the time). i know pushups have great and so do dips... but a 280lbs bench at 175lb is very impressive carry-over.

i still incoperate pullups and dips in my routine but not many pushups. how heavy do you dip?
    my... (for reps)
    weighted dips: 55lbs
    weighted pullups: 45lbs
    weighted pushups: 85lbs

I'm truly believing weighted dips and pull ups are what built up my strength so quick and they are even still my main exercises in the gym. However, when I joined, I love the fact that I'm able to load more weight to bench, because I got to a point to where it wasn't safe in my backpack. So I started a little different than you with the weighted moves. My method probably wasn't safe, but I feel like it helped. I bought a military tactical backpack when I started. I joined the gym after I was doing sets of weighted push ups with 140 lbs, which is when my bag started to split. For the dips and pull ups, I used a belt from the start. I went from body weight dips and started at (2) FULL FORM pull ups.

Today:
    Dips: 90 lbs
    Pull Ups: 65 lbs
    Bench: 285

These are all 1 rep maxes. And the problem is I truly believe in the weighted dips and pull ups and wanted to keep isolation out. But like today I noticed, with the amount of weight I'm at, it's starting to hurt my elbows every day now.

It's also probably important to add, when I started, I did a push, pull each group 3x a week. Today, I use the arnold split, and hit everything twice. But I do chest / back, arm day, leg day.

Now at the gym, my main moves are still weighted pull ups and dips. I start with 4-5 max weight sets. After my max weight sets, I go down to hypertrophy range. After hypertrophy range, I move to the machines, like the lat pull downs, and cable press downs to finish them off.

I tried 300 lbs today, got it off the rack, and failed. Couldn't get it back up. It seems like my numbers are slowing though, so I think it's mostly the beginner gains have slowed down.

Originally Posted by DCSpartan View Post

1.) lying
    Being that I started at 137 pounds, both my father and mother have been less than 140 lbs all their life, I don't think it's genetics. Next, I'm not lying, I have no reason to lie to someone I don't know on a computer? lol I feel that you left off (1) single option that should have been included. HARD WORK. The only "hardcore" people I've seen at my gym, give me the thumbs up, come talk to me, etc. I feel that it's consistency, sweat, blood, and blisters that you left off your option list. Just my 2c. I spent some years in prison, perhaps it's my mentality, or the way I train when I was in my younger days. It's go hard, or go home.

Originally Posted by FatBallz View Post
    Lmao. How about some pics, OP? I'd like to see your progress.
    Busy night tonight. But I'll post some this weekend. Nothing to hide here? Like I told in the post above, I have no reason to lie to someone I don't know on a computer? I get my ego out in the gym when all the heads are turning with the weight between your legs as you pull up. :0

12 pack > 6 pack PurmaBulker1984's Avatar
    PurmaBulker1984 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) PurmaBulker1984 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) PurmaBulker1984 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) PurmaBulker1984 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) PurmaBulker1984 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) PurmaBulker1984 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) PurmaBulker1984 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) PurmaBulker1984 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) PurmaBulker1984 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) PurmaBulker1984 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) PurmaBulker1984 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Roll Bread
    Current max
    325 bb bench
    295 incl bb bench
    275 push press.

Married w/ 2 kids crew

Crawling back under rock OldFartTom's Avatar
    OldFartTom has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) OldFartTom has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) OldFartTom has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) OldFartTom has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) OldFartTom has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) OldFartTom has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) OldFartTom has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) OldFartTom has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) OldFartTom has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) OldFartTom has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) OldFartTom has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Taking the post seriously...

The 3 things that stand out to me

1) OP seems to assume that going to gym=isolation. And work outside gym=compounds. If so, that's the problem right there

2) OP deadlifts and squats outside the gym. So OP has access to a home gym even if a minimal one? If so why does OP pay to go to a gym to isolate instead of compounds?

3) There also seems to be assumption that people must either compound or isolate. Why not both??? (in some planned proportion/program)

HeMB is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) HeMB is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) HeMB is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) HeMB is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) HeMB is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) HeMB is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) HeMB is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) HeMB is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) HeMB is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) HeMB is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) HeMB is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by OldFartTom View Post
    3) There also seems to be assumption that people must either compound or isolate. Why not both??? (in some planned proportion/program)
    brb The enviroclean's full body isolation routine

1. Leg extensions + leg curls
    2. Hip thrust
    3. Pec flies
    4. Straight arm lat pulldown
    5. Front raises + side raises
    6. Rear delt flies
    7. Bic curl + tric pushdown
    8. Calves

Originally Posted by HeMB View Post
    brb The enviroclean's full body isolation routine

1. Leg extensions + leg curls
    2. Hip thrust
    3. Pec flies
    4. Straight arm lat pulldown
    5. Front raises + side raises
    6. Rear delt flies
    7. Bic curl + tric pushdown
    8. Calves
    I still haven't gotten photos yet, but will have some up by the end of the week. Been in the gym 2x a day for the past week.

Hemb, quick question, did you even read my post???? Same with Old Fart Tom? LOL I believe you guys see numbers you don't agree with and you skip over all the words.

OldFartTom's Post: "3) There also seems to be assumption that people must either compound or isolate. Why not both???"

Did you read my post???? My main movements are compound movements. I joined the gym, so I could throw in a few isolation moves and also add more weight to my compound moves? My entire program is built around BENCH, Weighted Dips, Weighted Chins, Weighted Pull Ups, Deadlifts, and Squats. I do very few isolation movements, (Face Pulls, Skull Crushers, and Cable Rows) are about the only isolation movements I even do. I did all three from the house, but had no more weight to add. I also ran out the weight limit on my backpack, hence was my reason for joining the gym. But again, it seems like you didn't read my post, because I DO EXACTLY what you said "WHY NOT DO."

And to the post above "HEMB", you clearly didn't read my post neither. "Brb gotta go do my isolation routine." PS, I do so few isolation movements, that I can only confirm or admit to doing (1) movement on your entire "brb routine." That is triceps cable press downs. And the only time I do them is when I can't get any more weighted dips or close grip bench in. LOL

I don't understand some people who post on here. It's apparent, if you hear some "numbers you don't like" or if a number is "higher than yours", than you skip the post and respond with your BRB GYM BRO talk. Perhaps I need to move over to the "strongfirst" or "Tnation" because it's apparent body building done got to some of these peoples heads.

If I had to take a guess, some of these "body builders" would be the same dudes up in the gym, that are 220 lbs of muscle, and can't even manage "function-able strength" or can't even pull themselves up to the pull up bar. lol See it daily. Then the 220 lb guy looks over at the 170 lb guy, with 70 lbs hanging from his leg, and gives him the thumbs up as he pulls up with 1.5 plates hanging from him. LOL I see where this is going.

Top Heavy Martin, the first responded was one of the only people that seem to have read my post, and has the only post that makes any sense or of any use to me. I get it though, I probably shouldn't have posted any kind of NUMBERS on a body building forum. LOL

HeMB is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) HeMB is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) HeMB is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) HeMB is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) HeMB is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) HeMB is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) HeMB is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) HeMB is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) HeMB is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) HeMB is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) HeMB is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Ain't nobody got time to read walls of text.

That's something to begin with.

Until I get some new photos this week. There's only worker at the gym who I know and can ask to take photo's, but I'll defiantly get some more to post this week. I don't have anything to hide, nor anybody to impress from behind a computer, I just want to know if anyone experienced the same thing, or if anyone else felt like they kept more strength when sticking to the weighted body movements?

But here's some photo's I got for now, all kind of crappy, but again I'll be more than happy to get some more up.

Here's when I started 6 months ago. 137 lbs and couldn't fit into my clothes. I was working manual labor outside 8 hours a day, sweating all day in the Texas Heat, and wearing a size 30 pants. lol

ibb.co/w6TX7zF

Here is about 4 months into my training. At 167'ish lbs, before I broke into the 170's.
    ibb.co/g97L9Fd

And here's a shot I had from one day when the cool girl at the gym was working. This was at the (VERY END) of my workout. At this time I was starting with 65 lbs "Wide Grip" Pull Ups. However, she happened to pop up at the VERY END after I was worn down and using the 45, and close grips to knock out some remaining reps. But 45 plate is baby work for me now.

ibb.co/9tFMJKY

Again, I don't have nothing to hide. I know my weight gain was "beginner gains" as I have some knowledge with training. Spent years in the prison system, reading books day in and day out. I realize the defensiveness, and I understand I probably should have posted my questions on a power lifting forum and not a body building forum.

Back on topic, I incorporated "Weighted Push Ups" back in my routine after the bench. I banged out 75 Decline Weighted Push Ups, and 75 Regular Weighted Push Ups today using (3) 25 lb plates and (2) 25 lb plates after I finished up my power lifting on the bench.

And just FYI, to the above post. I don't do any "Peck Fly's" for my CHEST. LOL I might hit a few cable fly's from time to time, but again, I'm not training to be "big". I'm training to be "STRONG First, and Bigger Second." I'll leave the pec fly's to the body builders lol
    Last edited by enviroclean; 10-28-2019 at 03:01 PM.

Originally Posted by HeMB View Post
    Ain't nobody got time to read walls of text.

That's something to begin with.
    I just happen to log on to respond, and you responded within 5 minutes.
    It would make more sense if you just didn't respond to post that you don't read, that way you make sense?

Easy enough GYM BRO??? LOL

TopHeavy7 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by enviroclean View Post
    I just happen to log on to respond, and you responded within 5 minutes.
    It would make more sense if you just didn't respond to post that you don't read, that way you make sense?

Easy enough GYM BRO??? LOL
    calm down bro nobody has time to read about your entire life a bodybuilding.com forum

Those look like 3 random pictures of 3 different people at 3 different angles. I'm out. The fact that OP cant manage to take pictures is enough for me label this whole thing bs.