Reply
Results 1 to 23 of 23

Thread: Water diet

  1. #1
    Registered User reallyibra's Avatar
    Join Date: Sep 2019
    Age: 49
    Posts: 30
    Rep Power: 0
    reallyibra is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    reallyibra is offline

    Post Water diet

    Hello, I would just like to ask if having a water only diet once a week will help or destroy my fat loss progress. what i mean is eating normally for 6 days a week(which is a 700 calorie deficit for me) and for 1 day only drinking water. what are your thought on this as it is very appreciated. thank you.
    Reply With Quote

  2. #2
    pay the iron price SuffolkPunch's Avatar
    Join Date: Jan 2007
    Location: Suffolk, United Kingdom (Great Britain)
    Posts: 47,787
    Rep Power: 1252574
    SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz
    SuffolkPunch is offline
    I don't recommend going for more than 16 hours at a time without consuming protein - if you value body composition that is.

    Periodic diets can sometimes help with hunger to help you comply with a reduced calorie diet. But it's better if you can achieve the same just by reducing your daily calorie intake to the same overall average.
    Reply With Quote

  3. #3
    Registered User reallyibra's Avatar
    Join Date: Sep 2019
    Age: 49
    Posts: 30
    Rep Power: 0
    reallyibra is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    reallyibra is offline
    Originally Posted by SuffolkPunch View Post
    I don't recommend going for more than 16 hours at a time without consuming protein - if you value body composition that is.

    Periodic diets can sometimes help with hunger to help you comply with a reduced calorie diet. But it's better if you can achieve the same just by reducing your daily calorie intake to the same overall average.
    Thanks for the reply. Sorry but I didnt fully understand your first point. when I try to lower my caloric deficit it gets harder for me to resist overeating good stuff. because I live by myself I choose what to buy and I always buy good whole foods such as rice and chicken breasts all the time. so I sometimes overeat chicken when I increase the caloric deficit. but when I don't eat anything at all my hunger isn't as noticeable. I don't get sudden urges to eat alot.
    Reply With Quote

  4. #4
    pay the iron price SuffolkPunch's Avatar
    Join Date: Jan 2007
    Location: Suffolk, United Kingdom (Great Britain)
    Posts: 47,787
    Rep Power: 1252574
    SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz
    SuffolkPunch is offline
    Yes, what you describe is what I was saying in the second sentence - sometimes it's easier just to eat nothing.

    I wouldn't recommend this. Or at least, I would have a protein shake at midday on the day you fast.
    Reply With Quote

  5. #5
    Train hard play harder Tommy W.'s Avatar
    Join Date: Feb 2006
    Age: 67
    Posts: 16,474
    Rep Power: 74654
    Tommy W. has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Tommy W. has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Tommy W. has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Tommy W. has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Tommy W. has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Tommy W. has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Tommy W. has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Tommy W. has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Tommy W. has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Tommy W. has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Tommy W. has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Tommy W. is offline
    Your Weekly calorie deficit will determine the amount of fatloss. Many people fast for a full day as you suggest. Is it optimum? No.
    If you don't get what you want you didn't want it bad enough
    Reply With Quote

  6. #6
    Registered User reallyibra's Avatar
    Join Date: Sep 2019
    Age: 49
    Posts: 30
    Rep Power: 0
    reallyibra is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    reallyibra is offline
    Originally Posted by SuffolkPunch View Post
    Yes, what you describe is what I was saying in the second sentence - sometimes it's easier just to eat nothing.

    I wouldn't recommend this. Or at least, I would have a protein shake at midday on the day you fast.
    Yes i truly believe having balanced diet is better than fasting because what im looking for is not a short term thing but a life long lifestyle you know?. but recently ive been on a good diet that consists of 140P-150C-50F. give or take a few on the carbs and fat but i always stick to this protein goal because ive been lifting weights for 3 weeks now and want to build and maintain as much muscle as possible while losing fat. but yesterday i weighed myself(weekly) and saw that i only lost 0.2 lbs which is ridiculous for me because before weight lifting i was losing 1.5-2 lbs a week. and i kept the same diet and only added weight lifting.
    Reply With Quote

  7. #7
    Registered User reallyibra's Avatar
    Join Date: Sep 2019
    Age: 49
    Posts: 30
    Rep Power: 0
    reallyibra is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    reallyibra is offline
    Originally Posted by Tommy W. View Post
    Your Weekly calorie deficit will determine the amount of fatloss. Many people fast for a full day as you suggest. Is it optimum? No.
    i know but its just i track all my calories and macros and ive not been able to lose as much weight as i used to a month ago. and though maybe i need to change it up a bit for a couple of weeks
    Reply With Quote

  8. #8
    pay the iron price SuffolkPunch's Avatar
    Join Date: Jan 2007
    Location: Suffolk, United Kingdom (Great Britain)
    Posts: 47,787
    Rep Power: 1252574
    SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz
    SuffolkPunch is offline
    Originally Posted by reallyibra View Post
    Yes i truly believe having balanced diet is better than fasting because what im looking for is not a short term thing but a life long lifestyle you know?. but recently ive been on a good diet that consists of 140P-150C-50F. give or take a few on the carbs and fat but i always stick to this protein goal because ive been lifting weights for 3 weeks now and want to build and maintain as much muscle as possible while losing fat. but yesterday i weighed myself(weekly) and saw that i only lost 0.2 lbs which is ridiculous for me because before weight lifting i was losing 1.5-2 lbs a week. and i kept the same diet and only added weight lifting.
    You lose more when not lifting because you lose muscle tissue. And muscle gives up its mass more cheaply than fat does.

    Look long term. There is variation in your weighings - so you don't know if you are responding to that or if you really need to reduce calories.

    BTW, your fats are too low.
    Reply With Quote

  9. #9
    Registered User reallyibra's Avatar
    Join Date: Sep 2019
    Age: 49
    Posts: 30
    Rep Power: 0
    reallyibra is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    reallyibra is offline
    Originally Posted by SuffolkPunch View Post
    You lose more when not lifting because you lose muscle tissue. And muscle gives up its mass more cheaply than fat does.

    Look long term. There is variation in your weighings - so you don't know if you are responding to that or if you really need to reduce calories.

    BTW, your fats are too low.
    yes i agree with you on lifting weights would result in less weight lost cause i gain some in the way but i cant possibly gain 1-1.5 lbs of muscle a week to compensate for the lack of weight recuction. and ofcourse not lifting while dieting would result in losing muscle as well but that would be in every 4 lbs lost 3 were fat and 1 was muscle. i dont believe i lost any significant muscle mass because im getting stronger every week when lifting weights and i test myself with push ups and i saw that i went from not being able to do 1 proper military push up to doing 10.
    Reply With Quote

  10. #10
    Train hard play harder Tommy W.'s Avatar
    Join Date: Feb 2006
    Age: 67
    Posts: 16,474
    Rep Power: 74654
    Tommy W. has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Tommy W. has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Tommy W. has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Tommy W. has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Tommy W. has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Tommy W. has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Tommy W. has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Tommy W. has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Tommy W. has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Tommy W. has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Tommy W. has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Tommy W. is offline
    Originally Posted by reallyibra View Post
    i know but its just i track all my calories and macros and ive not been able to lose as much weight as i used to a month ago. and though maybe i need to change it up a bit for a couple of weeks
    As you lean out your maintenance calories go down you need to lower calories as you lose. At some point your fatloss will slow as you can only lower calories so much. A 1 week stall is nothing as it can be water retention. You don't go from losing 1-2 lbs a week to not losing anything. Give it 1-2 more weeks then lower weekly calories however my guess is you won't need to
    If you don't get what you want you didn't want it bad enough
    Reply With Quote

  11. #11
    Registered User reallyibra's Avatar
    Join Date: Sep 2019
    Age: 49
    Posts: 30
    Rep Power: 0
    reallyibra is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    reallyibra is offline
    Originally Posted by Tommy W. View Post
    As you lean out your maintenance calories go down you need to lower calories as you lose. At some point your fatloss will slow as you can only lower calories so much. A 1 week stall is nothing as it can be water retention. You don't go from losing 1-2 lbs a week to not losing anything. Give it 1-2 more weeks then lower weekly calories however my guess is you won't need to
    Honestly thank you guys for the advice. it really means a lot. and you just told me something i didnt think about which is "water retention". i used to be obese at around 253 but now im right under it as overweight. (34.3 bmi to 28.5 but i gained muscle aswell) and my goal is to hit 170 before may next year. which is 40 lbs to lose. when i was obese i had a 1000 caloric deficit because i could do that normally just by cutting junk food and any liquid that isnt water. but now im at a lower calorie deficit and its much harder cause now i need to control what im eating even though its generally good food( brown rice chicken breasts, salmon).
    Reply With Quote

  12. #12
    Train hard play harder Tommy W.'s Avatar
    Join Date: Feb 2006
    Age: 67
    Posts: 16,474
    Rep Power: 74654
    Tommy W. has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Tommy W. has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Tommy W. has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Tommy W. has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Tommy W. has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Tommy W. has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Tommy W. has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Tommy W. has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Tommy W. has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Tommy W. has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Tommy W. has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Tommy W. is offline
    Originally Posted by reallyibra View Post
    Honestly thank you guys for the advice. it really means a lot. and you just told me something i didnt think about which is "water retention". i used to be obese at around 253 but now im right under it as overweight. (34.3 bmi to 28.5 but i gained muscle aswell) and my goal is to hit 170 before may next year. which is 40 lbs to lose. when i was obese i had a 1000 caloric deficit because i could do that normally just by cutting junk food and any liquid that isnt water. but now im at a lower calorie deficit and its much harder cause now i need to control what im eating even though its generally good food( brown rice chicken breasts, salmon).
    Your Maintenance drops about 100 calories a day for every 10 lbs you lose. The lower the calories get the more important food choices become
    If you don't get what you want you didn't want it bad enough
    Reply With Quote

  13. #13
    Registered User reallyibra's Avatar
    Join Date: Sep 2019
    Age: 49
    Posts: 30
    Rep Power: 0
    reallyibra is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    reallyibra is offline
    Originally Posted by Tommy W. View Post
    Your Maintenance drops about 100 calories a day for every 10 lbs you lose. The lower the calories get the more important food choices become
    sounds about right. and im also hoping to try intermittent fasting as it is a way to feel more full while eating same food(maybe even less) cause i hate eating in the morning because i feel hungry all the time after breakfast, so that should help me. any tips on what to do? im trying to go for a 18/6 split where i only eat in a 6 hour window(im experienced in fasting so its not gonna be a problem holding that long).
    Reply With Quote

  14. #14
    Train hard play harder Tommy W.'s Avatar
    Join Date: Feb 2006
    Age: 67
    Posts: 16,474
    Rep Power: 74654
    Tommy W. has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Tommy W. has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Tommy W. has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Tommy W. has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Tommy W. has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Tommy W. has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Tommy W. has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Tommy W. has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Tommy W. has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Tommy W. has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Tommy W. has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Tommy W. is offline
    Originally Posted by reallyibra View Post
    sounds about right. and im also hoping to try intermittent fasting as it is a way to feel more full while eating same food(maybe even less) cause i hate eating in the morning because i feel hungry all the time after breakfast, so that should help me. any tips on what to do? im trying to go for a 18/6 split where i only eat in a 6 hour window(im experienced in fasting so its not gonna be a problem holding that long).
    IF..... sounds sexier than The Skipping Breakfast Diet. If that works to help keep cals in check than it works well
    If you don't get what you want you didn't want it bad enough
    Reply With Quote

  15. #15
    Registered User reallyibra's Avatar
    Join Date: Sep 2019
    Age: 49
    Posts: 30
    Rep Power: 0
    reallyibra is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    reallyibra is offline
    Originally Posted by Tommy W. View Post
    IF..... sounds sexier than The Skipping Breakfast Diet. If that works to help keep cals in check than it works well
    thanks, im gonna try doing it for 2-3 weeks and see if i can keep doing it as a lifestyle
    Reply With Quote

  16. #16
    Train hard play harder Tommy W.'s Avatar
    Join Date: Feb 2006
    Age: 67
    Posts: 16,474
    Rep Power: 74654
    Tommy W. has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Tommy W. has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Tommy W. has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Tommy W. has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Tommy W. has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Tommy W. has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Tommy W. has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Tommy W. has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Tommy W. has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Tommy W. has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Tommy W. has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Tommy W. is offline
    Originally Posted by reallyibra View Post
    thanks, im gonna try doing it for 2-3 weeks and see if i can keep doing it as a lifestyle
    You may need to take a week or more to get in sync. It's difficult to just go straight into it. Best to just start eating a little bit later then a few day later eat a bit later and so on and then you'll be comfortably eating starting at noon.
    If you don't get what you want you didn't want it bad enough
    Reply With Quote

  17. #17
    Registered User reallyibra's Avatar
    Join Date: Sep 2019
    Age: 49
    Posts: 30
    Rep Power: 0
    reallyibra is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    reallyibra is offline
    Originally Posted by Tommy W. View Post
    You may need to take a week or more to get in sync. It's difficult to just go straight into it. Best to just start eating a little bit later then a few day later eat a bit later and so on and then you'll be comfortably eating starting at noon.
    Thanks very much for the help. youre one of the guys that really make this website great.
    Reply With Quote

  18. #18
    Registered User Freaka11's Avatar
    Join Date: Oct 2019
    Age: 49
    Posts: 21
    Rep Power: 0
    Freaka11 is not very well liked. (-100) Freaka11 is not very well liked. (-100) Freaka11 is not very well liked. (-100) Freaka11 is not very well liked. (-100) Freaka11 is not very well liked. (-100) Freaka11 is not very well liked. (-100) Freaka11 is not very well liked. (-100) Freaka11 is not very well liked. (-100) Freaka11 is not very well liked. (-100) Freaka11 is not very well liked. (-100) Freaka11 is not very well liked. (-100)
    Freaka11 is offline

    Talking

    Lol !!!! This is completely insane , You are completely follow the wrong way to lose weight . I am not in this favor
    Reply With Quote

  19. #19
    Never accept defeat! backinthegymbro's Avatar
    Join Date: Aug 2018
    Posts: 8,349
    Rep Power: 83531
    backinthegymbro has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) backinthegymbro has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) backinthegymbro has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) backinthegymbro has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) backinthegymbro has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) backinthegymbro has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) backinthegymbro has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) backinthegymbro has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) backinthegymbro has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) backinthegymbro has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) backinthegymbro has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    backinthegymbro is online now
    Lets say your daily maintenance is 2000 calories a day for example.
    Then your weekly maintenance is 14000 calories a week.
    If you ate 3000 calories every day, 6 days a week, that would put you on 18000 calories.
    Even if you ate nothing on sunday and only drank water, you would still end up gaining weight.

    Long story short: What matters is how many calories you consume total per week. Simply going on a water fast once a week doesn't mean anything.
    Cobra Kai never dies!

    My skinny fat to ripped transformation: https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=177714661&page=1
    Reply With Quote

  20. #20
    Mariposa ByeAlicia's Avatar
    Join Date: Oct 2019
    Posts: 30
    Rep Power: 0
    ByeAlicia is not very well liked. (-100) ByeAlicia is not very well liked. (-100) ByeAlicia is not very well liked. (-100) ByeAlicia is not very well liked. (-100) ByeAlicia is not very well liked. (-100) ByeAlicia is not very well liked. (-100) ByeAlicia is not very well liked. (-100) ByeAlicia is not very well liked. (-100) ByeAlicia is not very well liked. (-100) ByeAlicia is not very well liked. (-100) ByeAlicia is not very well liked. (-100)
    ByeAlicia is offline
    Fasting is ok. Even once a week.
    Reply With Quote

  21. #21
    Registered User reallyibra's Avatar
    Join Date: Sep 2019
    Age: 49
    Posts: 30
    Rep Power: 0
    reallyibra is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    reallyibra is offline
    Originally Posted by backinthegymbro View Post
    Lets say your daily maintenance is 2000 calories a day for example.
    Then your weekly maintenance is 14000 calories a week.
    If you ate 3000 calories every day, 6 days a week, that would put you on 18000 calories.
    Even if you ate nothing on sunday and only drank water, you would still end up gaining weight.

    Long story short: What matters is how many calories you consume total per week. Simply going on a water fast once a week doesn't mean anything.
    i will still maintain a caloric deficit on the other 6 days.
    Reply With Quote

  22. #22
    Registered User GayPiers's Avatar
    Join Date: Oct 2019
    Age: 49
    Posts: 5
    Rep Power: 0
    GayPiers has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) GayPiers has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) GayPiers has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) GayPiers has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) GayPiers has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) GayPiers has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) GayPiers has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) GayPiers has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) GayPiers has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) GayPiers has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) GayPiers has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    GayPiers is offline
    In theory it should work. If you’re consuming approximately 1300 calories per day, then consuming none for 1 day will mean that your body is needing for extra energy.

    Just make sure you get some electrolytes or something so you don’t get a headache.

    I also did intermittent fasting and I tried this thing where I’d eat all I wanted for 1 hour a day and then nothing for the next 23 hours.

    There’s so many fad diets, but not eating for a day or 2 won’t kill you. If you’re an American you probably have some extra weight stored anyway.


    (I am not a licensed physician)
    Reply With Quote

  23. #23
    Registered User Freaka11's Avatar
    Join Date: Oct 2019
    Age: 49
    Posts: 21
    Rep Power: 0
    Freaka11 is not very well liked. (-100) Freaka11 is not very well liked. (-100) Freaka11 is not very well liked. (-100) Freaka11 is not very well liked. (-100) Freaka11 is not very well liked. (-100) Freaka11 is not very well liked. (-100) Freaka11 is not very well liked. (-100) Freaka11 is not very well liked. (-100) Freaka11 is not very well liked. (-100) Freaka11 is not very well liked. (-100) Freaka11 is not very well liked. (-100)
    Freaka11 is offline
    Lol !!!! This is completely insane , You completely follow the wrong way to lose weight . I am not in this favor
    Reply With Quote

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts