Registered User Franfitness1990's Avatar
    Franfitness1990 is on a distinguished road. (+10)

Advice/help re building muscle shoulders/arms/back

Hi all,

I am new to Bodybuilding.com currently on a fitness journey, my main goal is to build upper body strength, definition in my shoulders arms and back.

I am currently doing the below using 5kg on each side.
    Lateral front raises 4 sets 8 reps
    lat side raises 4 sets 8 reps
    bicep curls 4 sets 8 reps
    shoulder press 4 sets 8 reps
    Arnold press 4 sets 8 reps
    dumbbell reverse fly 4 sets 8 reps

kettlebell swings 8kg

Lat machine 15kg 4 sets of 8

I have read online that using 5kg wont touch the sides, fine to use this to perfect form but that I need to up the weight and do less reps, is this right? do I do this progressively each time im doing the workout, or is this per week, per couple of weeks? I have read conflicting info online.

I follow a high protein diet, eating well. cardio 2 times a week

any advice would be really great, I want to make sure I am on the right path.

Thank you

my non-edited 'before'pic etet1919's Avatar
    etet1919 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) etet1919 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) etet1919 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) etet1919 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) etet1919 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) etet1919 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) etet1919 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) etet1919 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) etet1919 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) etet1919 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) etet1919 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Hi Fran! My advice would be to focus on gaining strength through a program such as Fierce 5 or All Pros....professionally designed programs carefully structured, and located in the subforum stickies.

You'll gain strength first, and muscular definition will usually come in last, through hard consistent work, conditioning and following a nutritionally sound diet. Have you taken a look through that subforum, as well?

When you begin, and throughout your lifting journey, you will need to pick barbells ( or kettlebells, DBs, resistance on a machine) that challenge you...producing muscular fatigue or failure within that (8-12) rep range....
    Fact: My first-generation uncle was a boxer who fought Sugar Ray Robinson! He also fought in the war, sacrificing the career he deeply loved, so people could have the right to freedom.

Let's show RESPECT for the POLICE and ALL FIRST RESPONDERS by helping to keep THEM SAFE AND SOUND, and thereby able to PROTECT US!

hardyboysare has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) hardyboysare has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) hardyboysare has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) hardyboysare has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) hardyboysare has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) hardyboysare has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) hardyboysare has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) hardyboysare has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) hardyboysare has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) hardyboysare has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) hardyboysare has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    I think it would be best for you to follow a proven balanced training program as it takes a lot of the confusion out of what will work and is it effective for muscle development here are a few I recommend:-

https://liftvault.com/programs/stren...m-spreadsheet/ - Strong Curves

https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showt...9172473&page=1 - Allpro

https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showt...9678631&page=1 - Fierce 5

https://stronglifts.com/5x5/#gref - Strong Lifts

https://atlargenutrition.com/baby-got-back-routine/ - Baby got back

You need to progressively overload the muscle with a combination of weight intensity and volume. As you wish to build strength the weight progression is key. Follow as the programs state for progressive overload and you will build muscle.

For your nutrition you will need to be aiming to slowly gain weight to optimize muscle growth as a female around 1-1.5lbs a month increase in weight is optimal for muscle development (this will be around a 150-250 caloric surplus). Please read this link for all info related to nutrition including caloric level and macros:-

https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showt...hp?t=173439001

Add cardio as you wish but ensure weight training is the priority combined with ensuring you are gaining weight slowly and not in a caloric deficit. As for your question of progression the programs will explain all but generally the idea is to increase either weight or volume weekly until you can no longer progress and then it will slow down to every other week. I personally advise sticking to weight increase weekly as this will offer the best development of strength but again follow the program for more in depth procedure.

ChesticleGainz will become famous soon enough. (+50) ChesticleGainz will become famous soon enough. (+50) ChesticleGainz will become famous soon enough. (+50) ChesticleGainz will become famous soon enough. (+50) ChesticleGainz will become famous soon enough. (+50) ChesticleGainz will become famous soon enough. (+50) ChesticleGainz will become famous soon enough. (+50) ChesticleGainz will become famous soon enough. (+50) ChesticleGainz will become famous soon enough. (+50) ChesticleGainz will become famous soon enough. (+50) ChesticleGainz will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by hardyboysare View Post
    I think it would be best for you to follow a proven balanced training program as it takes a lot of the confusion out of what will work and is it effective for muscle development here are a few I recommend:-

You need to progressively overload the muscle with a combination of weight intensity and volume. As you wish to build strength the weight progression is key. Follow as the programs state for progressive overload and you will build muscle.

For your nutrition you will need to be aiming to slowly gain weight to optimize muscle growth as a female around 1-1.5lbs a month increase in weight is optimal for muscle development (this will be around a 150-250 caloric surplus). Please read this link for all info related to nutrition including caloric level and macros:-

Add cardio as you wish but ensure weight training is the priority combined with ensuring you are gaining weight slowly and not in a caloric deficit. As for your question of progression the programs will explain all but generally the idea is to increase either weight or volume weekly until you can no longer progress and then it will slow down to every other week. I personally advise sticking to weight increase weekly as this will offer the best development of strength but again follow the program for more in depth procedure.
    This is perfect advice.