numberguy12 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) numberguy12 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) numberguy12 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) numberguy12 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) numberguy12 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) numberguy12 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) numberguy12 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) numberguy12 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) numberguy12 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) numberguy12 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) numberguy12 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)

Richard Dawkins on JRE

Anyone else watch the recent Joe Rogan podcast with Dawkins? Thoughts on it?

some random things that stood out...

-the idea of tribalism in things like religion and politics. So many stances are taken by first considering "what does the rest of my tribe think about issue X", instead of weighing the evidence/arguments for issue X on their own grounds. Human nature in general seems to be very tribal, which has biological explanation.

-the discussion about "newer" religions like Mormonism and scientology was interesting. I was unaware of this Book of Abraham translation of Joseph Smith that turned out to be a sham, and was exposed later by scholars in Egyptology. After doing more research into this, wow what an absolute mess. I already knew the seemingly charlatan-nature of Joseph Smith, but this is pretty cut and dry evidence that some things he did are not to be taken seriously.....and yet a huge number of people still identify with this religion. The takeaway here seems to be that you'd think people would be able to see past the bogus claims of modern religions, being so close to their inception and seeing the founders for the people they were/are (as opposed to ancient religions where things get somewhat more murky), but alas, this appears to not be the case.

-The idea of morality changing from century to century....much of it is what's "in the air" in the current time to use his phrase. Even admirable historical figures like Lincoln had views on racial inequality that would be viewed as very backwards and not correct by modern standards.

It made me think.....if things like the Bible so clearly elaborate a universal moral code (10 commandments, Jesus's dictums, etc).....then why has morality been so utterly different within Christian societies throughout the centuries of the last two thousand years? If you were to plop yourself into some 300 AD Roman Christian culture, or 1400 AD European Christian culture....you would hardly recognize the moral landscape around you. Probably horrified by some of the stuff happening around you.....people were burning witches in 1400 AD. No, what society considers to be moral and just does seem to change from century to century.

-Would an eternity of anything (particularly even.....heaven) be that great? Trillions and trillions and trillions of years of whatever that is? Sitting in heaven for 1000000000000000000100000000100000000 years, which of course is the same distance away from infinity as 1 is? Just to go on to sit through the next 1000000000000000000100000000100000000 years. And so on. Or is simple non-existence better at some point.....Dawkins uses the word anesthesia here.

-Joe almost immediately asking about psychedelics (lol)

-Digging the double helix tie Dawkins is wearing.
    Last edited by numberguy12; 10-23-2019 at 05:22 PM.
    ∫∫ Mathematics crew ∑∑ : <Smackcity edition>

♫1:2:3:4 Pythagoras crew ♫ ♫

Humble Megalomaniac ElrondHubbard's Avatar
    ElrondHubbard has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ElrondHubbard has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ElrondHubbard has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ElrondHubbard has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ElrondHubbard has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ElrondHubbard has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ElrondHubbard has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ElrondHubbard has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ElrondHubbard has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ElrondHubbard has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ElrondHubbard has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by numberguy12 View Post
    Anyone else watch the recent Joe Rogan podcast with Dawkins? Thoughts on it?

some random things that stood out...

-the idea of tribalism in things like religion and politics. So many stances are taken by first considering "what does the rest of my tribe think about issue X", instead of weighing the evidence/arguments for issue X on their own grounds. Human nature in general seems to be very tribal, which has biological explanation.

-the discussion about "newer" religions like Mormonism and scientology was interesting. I was unaware of this Book of Abraham translation of Joseph Smith that turned out to be a sham, and was exposed later by scholars in Egyptology. After doing more research into this, wow what an absolute mess. I already knew the seemingly charlatan-nature of Joseph Smith, but this is pretty cut and dry evidence that some things he did are not to be taken seriously.....and yet a huge number of people still identify with this religion. The takeaway here seems to be that you'd think people would be able to see past the bogus claims of modern religions, being so close to their inception and seeing the founders for the people they were/are (as opposed to ancient religions where things get somewhat more murky), but alas, this appears to not be the case.

-The idea of morality changing from century to century....much of it is what's "in the air" in the current time to use his phrase. Even admirable historical figures like Lincoln had views on racial inequality that would be viewed as very backwards and not correct by modern standards.

-Would an eternity of anything (particularly even.....heaven) be that great? Trillions and trillions and trillions of years of whatever that is? Sitting in heaven for 1000000000000000000100000000100000000 years, which of course is the same distance away from infinity as 1 is? Just to go on to sit through the next 1000000000000000000100000000100000000 years. And so on. Or is simple non-existence better at some point.....Dawkins uses the word anesthesia here.

-Joe almost immediately asking about psychedelics (lol)

-Digging the double helix tie Dawkins is wearing.
    I agree with the bit about tribalism. It has its place in a small tribal culture. For a cosmopolitan civilization, it's a real hindrance. Funny thing is, especially for christians, even Jesus preached against tribalism, with the Good Samaritan parable being one example. But religious folk of all stripes seem to be the most tribal of all.
    I'm out, standing in my field.

64 and still a newbie.