Travluh is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Travluh is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Travluh is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Travluh is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Travluh is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Travluh is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Travluh is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Travluh is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Travluh is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Travluh is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Travluh is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)

Third time's a charm - fat loss log

The Basics:
    Male - 30years - 170cm - 91kg and probably around the 37% BF mark (self-estimate based on images, as of starting this log).

Weight at my heaviest: 96kg (about a decade ago)
    Goal weight: somewhere in the 65-70kg area, solid muscle mass and sub-15% BF

This is the 3rd serious attempt at losing fat, and overall getting my body and fitness to a point where I'm happy with 'em. I was down to sub-70kg about 4 years ago (learned a bunch about nutrition, counted calories, worked out regularly) but didn't have the muscle mass or BF% where I wanted them. Then I gave up and ballooned (I could say it was for this reason or that reason, fact is I was lazy). I made another attempt after about a year or so, but that was extremely short-lived and I gave up again. Now here I am, starting this attempt from a weight of 94kg. Using this log for accountability purposes mainly.

The Plan:
    - While I will be weighing in and recording my weights with MFP / the Garmin phone app daily, moving forward I'll only post weights weekly on Sundays, and these are really the only numbers I'll be focusing on (the daily numbers are more for metrics).

- The first part of the plan was a water fast. I've done a few of these in the past and always felt pretty good after them. Having read a bit of 'The Complete Guide to Fasting' this time around, mostly the part about extended fasting and benefits after the 24-hour mark, I stopped after around 65 hours. I undertook no exercise during the fast, mostly because I didn't want to go too hard, too fast and burn myself out before I'd even started. Scales told me that I'd dropped about 3 kg (water weight and maybe a little bit of regular weight in there as well) so I ended the fast at a bit over 91kg.

- Second part is 16/8 IF and a fairly substantial calorie deficit. I have a spreadsheet with formulas based on a lot of information I've gathered over the past few years and the intakes will scale as my numbers improve
    Diet: high-protein, high-fat, low-carb (about a 40/40/20% split) as I've had good experience with this in the past. There are no planned 'free', 'cheat' or 'reward' days during (at least) the first 4 weeks of this, after which I'll assess if I can. If I can knock out the first 4 weeks staying strict, I'll be in a better spot to decide. This is also when I will make the first adjustment to my intakes.
    Exercise regime: is Fierce 5 Dumbbell as I can't access a gym right now, but as soon as I can, I will switch to a different program (probably the F5 5-day Upper/Lower/L/P/P program). Focusing on form to begin with, then on adding weight. Fasted cardio in the mornings.

The Log:
    - 14/10/2019 - 94.3kg
    Fasting begins

- 16/10/2019 - 91.4kg
    Fasting ends. Coming straight off the fast, I didn't want to take in too much as it could upset the ol' digestive system, so calories were still quite low.

- 20/10/2019 - 91.0kg
    As expected, little weight fluctuation over the past few days (dropped down to under 91kg, but was actually up to 91.6kg yesterday). Nothing to worry about since it's the averages that matter.

-27/10/2019 - 89.7kg

-13/11/2019 - 87.9kg
    Last edited by Travluh; 11-13-2019 at 12:24 AM.
    "To awaken quite alone in a strange town is one of the pleasantest sensations in the world." - Freya Stark

|0--[Misc Cologne Crew] - Because 60% of the time, it works every time
    |0--[Forever Cutting Crew]
    |0--[EDM Crew] - Ultra 2014, Ultra Bali 2016, Ultra Bali 2017, TML 2019, Untold 2019

Travluh is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Travluh is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Travluh is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Travluh is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Travluh is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Travluh is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Travluh is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Travluh is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Travluh is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Travluh is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Travluh is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Had some good news yesterday regarding a job, so I congratulated myself with a (very) relaxed diet (yes, a Reward day). Woke up with expected weight gain and bloat today, but from previous experience, this will probably be gone by tomorrow and was mentally beneficial.

I will need to plan for at least one or two more of these lax days over the next 2 weeks at least, due to my changing working (and consequently, living) arrangements.
    The new arrangement will, however, give me access to an actual gym set up, and the work itself will be heavily active (looking forward to seeing what my Garmin says once this all starts!), so I will really be able to kick things up a notch when I get settled in!
    "To awaken quite alone in a strange town is one of the pleasantest sensations in the world." - Freya Stark

|0--[EDM Crew] - Ultra 2014, Ultra Bali 2016, Ultra Bali 2017, TML 2019, Untold 2019

RSP Nutrition Lead Rep jpfaherty's Avatar
    jpfaherty has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) jpfaherty has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) jpfaherty has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) jpfaherty has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) jpfaherty has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) jpfaherty has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) jpfaherty has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) jpfaherty has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) jpfaherty has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) jpfaherty has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) jpfaherty has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Every cheat meal you "reward" yourself with is setting you back from all the other days you've busted your ass. Stop telling yourself you deserve these treats if you want to makes changes permanently. You are creating a bad relationship with food by doing this. If you ever want advice or even coaching, PM me! Love helping member of the bb.com community.
    ★★★ RSP Nutrition Lead Representative ★★★

High Quality Supplements For All Your Goals

RSP Nutrition Store:
    https://www.bodybuilding.com/ store/rsp-nutrition.html

★★★ Live Inspired ★★★
    http://www.rspnutrition.com/

Originally Posted by jpfaherty View Post
    Every cheat meal you "reward" yourself with is setting you back from all the other days you've busted your ass. Stop telling yourself you deserve these treats if you want to makes changes permanently. You are creating a bad relationship with food by doing this. If you ever want advice or even coaching, PM me! Love helping member of the bb.com community.
    Couldn't agree more mate. Cheers for the reality check (and the offer of coaching/advice!). No more excuses. No more 'cheats'. Gonna put some thought into planning some decent meals I can have while on the road rather than planning to cheat.

Back on the wagon now, all cals tracked and in set boundaries, and the worst of the effects from the other day are gone. Finally getting some protein powder and got my new PWO in to help ramp up the workout sessions.

fatandnotproud will become famous soon enough. (+50) fatandnotproud will become famous soon enough. (+50) fatandnotproud will become famous soon enough. (+50) fatandnotproud will become famous soon enough. (+50) fatandnotproud will become famous soon enough. (+50) fatandnotproud will become famous soon enough. (+50) fatandnotproud will become famous soon enough. (+50) fatandnotproud will become famous soon enough. (+50) fatandnotproud will become famous soon enough. (+50) fatandnotproud will become famous soon enough. (+50) fatandnotproud will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by Travluh View Post
    Couldn't agree more mate. Cheers for the reality check (and the offer of coaching/advice!). No more excuses. No more 'cheats'. Gonna put some thought into planning some decent meals I can have while on the road rather than planning to cheat.

Back on the wagon now, all cals tracked and in set boundaries, and the worst of the effects from the other day are gone. Finally getting some protein powder and got my new PWO in to help ramp up the workout sessions.
    Agreed on the rewards cheat.

I was 115kg (253lbs) not long ago, now I'm back to 130kg (286lbs) thanks to "rewarding" myself.

I'm trying to loose those pounds... but I keep rewarding myself after my hard work.

Well... no more.

The third time's a charm for me too. Starting from now, from right freaking now.
    [ Starting Weight: 165 KG ]--[ Current Weight: 117 KG ]--[ GOAL: Sexy ]

Inspired by: Cherry Garcia - http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=166528931

Originally Posted by fatandnotproud View Post
    Agreed on the rewards cheat.

I was 115kg (253lbs) not long ago, now I'm back to 130kg (286lbs) thanks to "rewarding" myself.

I'm trying to loose those pounds... but I keep rewarding myself after my hard work.

Well... no more.

The third time's a charm for me too. Starting from now, from right freaking now.
    Do the work, be the prize. You got this!

Woke up at a shade under 90kg, which is a pretty good sign. A long way to go but breaking the 90kg mark is a small milestone. Gotta focus on these little victories to help us along the way!

Sunday weigh-in time!

-27/10/2019 - 89.7kg

A little over a kilo down over the past week, not too shabby. Diet has been good (besides the blow-out day) but exercise has been sporadic verging on non-existent. I really need to step my game up here.

I have moved, taken on a new lifestyle and a more active job.

For a while I had no access to any form of scales, so was unable to weigh myself or my food, however I tried to make sure that what I did eat was healthy, balanced and in moderation. I now have food scales, and a set of 'smart' bathroom scales (the kind with the electrodes on it to measure bioelectrical impedance) to measure weight, plus a bunch of other metrics. (I know, accuracy of these kinda consumer grade devices isn't the highest, but good enough for my needs at this time)

Weigh in this morning:

-13/11/2019 - 87.9kg
    Just under 2kg lost in 2.5 weeks. Not great, but not terrible. Physically noticed some small differences already which always helps and means I'm generally on the right track.
    Last edited by Travluh; 11-13-2019 at 12:23 AM.