Never accept defeat! backinthegymbro's Avatar
    backinthegymbro has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) backinthegymbro has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) backinthegymbro has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) backinthegymbro has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) backinthegymbro has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) backinthegymbro has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) backinthegymbro has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) backinthegymbro has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) backinthegymbro has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) backinthegymbro has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) backinthegymbro has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)

Why are more reps recommended for certain exercises?

I usually go for 8 reps and then as i go heavier, around 6 reps or less at my last 2 sets.
    However some exercises like tricep push downs or leg curls for example, i always read the recommended rep range is around 10.
    Is there a reason for this?

Probably won't matter that much overall. But just asking out of curiosity.
    Cobra Kai never dies!

BCPL has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Some movements just arent suited to using higher intensities, and the reasons for using smaller movements like those also wouldnt line up with using higher intensities either

air2fakie is just really nice. (+1000) air2fakie is just really nice. (+1000) air2fakie is just really nice. (+1000) air2fakie is just really nice. (+1000) air2fakie is just really nice. (+1000) air2fakie is just really nice. (+1000) air2fakie is just really nice. (+1000) air2fakie is just really nice. (+1000) air2fakie is just really nice. (+1000) air2fakie is just really nice. (+1000) air2fakie is just really nice. (+1000)
    It's just based on how certain muscles seem to respond to certain exercises.

You can still do lower reps if you want for such exercises, but may find that heavier weights w/ lower reps for certain things like lateral raises for side delts & face pulls for rear delts aren't as effective as higher reps - it's also harder to keep good form w/out cheating if you start going heavier for these types of exercises.

HeMB is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) HeMB is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) HeMB is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) HeMB is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) HeMB is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) HeMB is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) HeMB is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) HeMB is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) HeMB is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) HeMB is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) HeMB is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Mostly because low reps on isolations - snap city.
    Skwat bench ded
    but still DYEL?

broganoff is just really nice. (+1000) broganoff is just really nice. (+1000) broganoff is just really nice. (+1000) broganoff is just really nice. (+1000) broganoff is just really nice. (+1000) broganoff is just really nice. (+1000) broganoff is just really nice. (+1000) broganoff is just really nice. (+1000) broganoff is just really nice. (+1000) broganoff is just really nice. (+1000) broganoff is just really nice. (+1000)
    High reps/volume leads to more hypertrophy, i.e. bigger muscles. Chances are you are doing isolation exercises in order to emphasize the smaller, less important muscles that are not adequately worked with compound exercises. Doing low reps with high weight will not help as much with hypertrophy.

ampire is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ampire is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ampire is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ampire is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ampire is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ampire is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ampire is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ampire is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ampire is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ampire is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ampire is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by backinthegymbro View Post
    I usually go for 8 reps and then as i go heavier, around 6 reps or less at my last 2 sets.
    However some exercises like tricep push downs or leg curls for example, i always read the recommended rep range is around 10.
    Is there a reason for this?

Probably won't matter that much overall. But just asking out of curiosity.
    Probably matters most for those chasing a pump or a "finishing" exercise. If you are training big compounds with low volume and high weight then it would make sense to do higher volume lower weight for the small muscles just for the variety. For bicep and tricep exercises, it might be worth doing less weight and more reps to avoid repetitive strain injury to the elbow. According to this site, muscles respond to rep quantity the same, whether they are large or small:
    https://mennohenselmans.com/optimal-...small-muscles/

I would recommend experimenting to see what works best for you.