SlavchoCakar1 is on a distinguished road. (+10)

Triceps workout elbow pain,benefit from elbow support?

Hello everyone,
    Im a 17 year old who started lifting a month ago...Mostly everything has been going great except i get this weird elbow pain when doing triceps extensions,skullcrushers and i noticed it as well when i increased my bench by 5kg.
    My elbow has never been injured and it only occurs in my right hand.Also i have no problems doing other exercises and it doesnt hurt when its under load...I've also tried warming up with 2kg dumbells for triceps extensions but i still get it after my 8-10 reps and its worse when i increase the weight.
    My question is could i benefit from and elbow support or should i visit the Doctor's first?
    I would also appreciate if someone experienced something like this and would like to share some tips..
    Thanks in advance!!

Han shot first! TolerantLactose's Avatar
    TolerantLactose is just really nice. (+1000) TolerantLactose is just really nice. (+1000) TolerantLactose is just really nice. (+1000) TolerantLactose is just really nice. (+1000) TolerantLactose is just really nice. (+1000) TolerantLactose is just really nice. (+1000) TolerantLactose is just really nice. (+1000) TolerantLactose is just really nice. (+1000) TolerantLactose is just really nice. (+1000) TolerantLactose is just really nice. (+1000) TolerantLactose is just really nice. (+1000)
    Is it on the outer (away from the body) part of the elbow? Sounds like tennis elbow.
    I can tell time. Time cannot tell me.

Formerly LactoseTolerant. I'm not very imaginative.

HeMB is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) HeMB is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) HeMB is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) HeMB is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) HeMB is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) HeMB is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) HeMB is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) HeMB is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) HeMB is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) HeMB is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) HeMB is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by TolerantLactose View Post
    Is it on the outer (away from the body) part of the elbow? Sounds like tennis elbow.
    It should not happen because of triceps exercises, usually. Tennis/golfers elbow is an issue related to wrist movement.

And docs won't do chit because he is 17 and unlikely it's a serious medical issue.

Since it hurts only on pressing exercises,
    I suggest to lay off a little from them, for a week maybe. Then stop doing triceps isolations altogether (skull(elbow)crushers, pushdowns etc).

Bench, ohp works triceps enough. If anything, you could try CGBP.

It mostly has to do with internal rotation of humerus and for some people it messes with elbows (overloads the soft tissue too much).
    And i dont have time to explain it in detail.

p.s. oh well, the elbow support will do as much as sticking a band aid on your elbow; the latter is cheaper tho.
    Finally back to track.
    Still cannot SQ/DL.

#Herniated LB disc crew

Jobrown508 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Well SlavchoCakar I will say you are making Considerable Progress in weight lifting and the pain you are experiencing is due to your Body trying to Accommodate the Changes it is Undergoing.
    Before you Visit the Doctor, you can Utilise this tips to help reduce or eliminate the pain entirely.
    Interested? Msg me.

Han shot first! TolerantLactose's Avatar
    TolerantLactose is just really nice. (+1000) TolerantLactose is just really nice. (+1000) TolerantLactose is just really nice. (+1000) TolerantLactose is just really nice. (+1000) TolerantLactose is just really nice. (+1000) TolerantLactose is just really nice. (+1000) TolerantLactose is just really nice. (+1000) TolerantLactose is just really nice. (+1000) TolerantLactose is just really nice. (+1000) TolerantLactose is just really nice. (+1000) TolerantLactose is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by HeMB View Post
    It should not happen because of triceps exercises, usually. Tennis/golfers elbow is an issue related to wrist movement.
    The movement that causes it is not necessary the movement where you feel it.
    I can tell time. Time cannot tell me.

Formerly LactoseTolerant. I'm not very imaginative.

HeMB is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) HeMB is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) HeMB is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) HeMB is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) HeMB is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) HeMB is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) HeMB is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) HeMB is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) HeMB is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) HeMB is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) HeMB is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    The movement that causes it is not necessary the movement where you feel it.
    You missed my point.
    Finally back to track.
    Still cannot SQ/DL.

#Herniated LB disc crew

Yeah its on the outer part...Ill try some exercises that HeMB suggested if i still have the issue ill visit the doc's and go from there.
    Thanks for the reply.

Originally Posted by HeMB View Post

And docs won't do chit because he is 17 and unlikely it's a serious medical issue.

Since it hurts only on pressing exercises,
    I suggest to lay off a little from them, for a week maybe. Then stop doing triceps isolations altogether (skull(elbow)crushers, pushdowns etc).

Bench, ohp works triceps enough. If anything, you could try CGBP.

It mostly has to do with internal rotation of humerus and for some people it messes with elbows (overloads the soft tissue too much).
    And i dont have time to explain it in detail.

p.s. oh well, the elbow support will do as much as sticking a band aid on your elbow; the latter is cheaper tho.
    I guess ill try CGBP to see how my elbow reacts to that,if its okay then ill stick to that and few other exercises that dont cause the pain.
    If CGBP causes pain ill visit the doc's just in case..
    Thanks for the reply.

santisica has a spectacular aura about. (+250) santisica has a spectacular aura about. (+250) santisica has a spectacular aura about. (+250) santisica has a spectacular aura about. (+250) santisica has a spectacular aura about. (+250) santisica has a spectacular aura about. (+250) santisica has a spectacular aura about. (+250) santisica has a spectacular aura about. (+250) santisica has a spectacular aura about. (+250) santisica has a spectacular aura about. (+250) santisica has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    I have the same issue on my right elbow when doing skullcrushers, I just try to do at least two warm up sets before my regular set and It might hurt a little on my first set but as the sets go on the pain is gone.

Also play with how far you get the bar up when you finish a rep, some people feel more pain when briging the bar to a 45° angle (keeping it on top of your face) and some people feel it worse when bringing it back to your chest.

If after warm ups and playing with the angles of the lift you still have pain try to do them with dumbells.

Originally Posted by santisica View Post
    I have the same issue on my right elbow when doing skullcrushers, I just try to do at least two warm up sets before my regular set and It might hurt a little on my first set but as the sets go on the pain is gone.

Also play with how far you get the bar up when you finish a rep, some people feel more pain when briging the bar to a 45° angle (keeping it on top of your face) and some people feel it worse when bringing it back to your chest.

If after warm ups and playing with the angles of the lift you still have pain try to do them with dumbells.
    Thanks for the tips,ill see how it goes!!