OralB will become famous soon enough. (+50) OralB will become famous soon enough. (+50) OralB will become famous soon enough. (+50) OralB will become famous soon enough. (+50) OralB will become famous soon enough. (+50) OralB will become famous soon enough. (+50) OralB will become famous soon enough. (+50) OralB will become famous soon enough. (+50) OralB will become famous soon enough. (+50) OralB will become famous soon enough. (+50) OralB will become famous soon enough. (+50)

Adding Volume to Fierce5

I've been doing Fierce5 for around 6 months, and I'd like to begin focusing more on mass than strength. I know the author of the program is hesitant to modify it, though I'd like to add more volume in order to focus more on size. I would have went with Viking's bare bones program, though it is too machine oriented, and I'm just working with a barbell.

Do you guys think it would be beneficial from a size perspective to perform the Fierce5 routine in a 4x8 (4 sets of 8 reps) rather than it's standard 3x5?

WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Nope. I'd add days with a 4 day full body or upper lower program if you've stalled on fierce 5 volume.

More reps is not more volume
    5 day full body crew

FMH Crew, Sandbagging Mike Tuscherer Wannabee

OralB will become famous soon enough. (+50) OralB will become famous soon enough. (+50) OralB will become famous soon enough. (+50) OralB will become famous soon enough. (+50) OralB will become famous soon enough. (+50) OralB will become famous soon enough. (+50) OralB will become famous soon enough. (+50) OralB will become famous soon enough. (+50) OralB will become famous soon enough. (+50) OralB will become famous soon enough. (+50) OralB will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Gotcha, so essentially a full body program that one does 4 days a week? Wouldnt that inevitably lead to working the same muscle group two days in a row? Unless I'm missing something obvious.

Muscle Physiology Junkie Nwlifter's Avatar
    Nwlifter is a name known to all. (+5000) Nwlifter is a name known to all. (+5000) Nwlifter is a name known to all. (+5000) Nwlifter is a name known to all. (+5000) Nwlifter is a name known to all. (+5000) Nwlifter is a name known to all. (+5000) Nwlifter is a name known to all. (+5000) Nwlifter is a name known to all. (+5000) Nwlifter is a name known to all. (+5000) Nwlifter is a name known to all. (+5000) Nwlifter is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by WolfRose7 View Post
    Nope. I'd add days with a 4 day full body or upper lower program if you've stalled on fierce 5 volume.

More reps is not more volume
    But 4x8 is more volume than 3x5....
    Articles I've written for Weightrainer website
    http://www.weightrainer.net/articles.html#Ron_Sowers
    --------------------------------------------------------------------
    Must read books
    Enoka: Neuromechanics of Human Movement
    Siff: Supertraining
    Schoenfeld: Science and Development of Muscular Hypertrophy
    Komi: Strength and Power in Sport
    McRobert: Beyond Brawn

Yeah I was hoping it was possible to just up the volume of Fierce5 rather than change programs completely.

Nwlifter is a name known to all. (+5000) Nwlifter is a name known to all. (+5000) Nwlifter is a name known to all. (+5000) Nwlifter is a name known to all. (+5000) Nwlifter is a name known to all. (+5000) Nwlifter is a name known to all. (+5000) Nwlifter is a name known to all. (+5000) Nwlifter is a name known to all. (+5000) Nwlifter is a name known to all. (+5000) Nwlifter is a name known to all. (+5000) Nwlifter is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by OralB View Post
    Yeah I was hoping it was possible to just up the volume of Fierce5 rather than change programs completely.
    Of course, you can do anything you 'want' with any program. I have never followed a program to the letter, I always use it as a template then adjust exercises, frequency, volume, etc. to fit what works best for me.
    Must read books

905letters has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) 905letters has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) 905letters has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) 905letters has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) 905letters has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) 905letters has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) 905letters has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) 905letters has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) 905letters has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) 905letters has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) 905letters has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I've been doing Fierce5 for around 6 months, and I'd like to begin focusing more on mass than strength. I know the author of the program is hesitant to modify it, though I'd like to add more volume in order to focus more on size. I would have went with Viking's bare bones program, though it is too machine oriented, and I'm just working with a barbell.

Do you guys think it would be beneficial from a size perspective to perform the Fierce5 routine in a 4x8 (4 sets of 8 reps) rather than it's standard 3x5?
    What I do is on weeks where the workout A or B is only once, I add volume on that day.
    For example: Week 1 - Monday: A Wednesday: B Friday: A

That B workout, I'll increase the sets on most exercises, like 5x5 instead of 3x5, because I have more recovery before the next B workout so I can afford doing more volume

Same with an A workout, on weeks where I only do it once. I feel like this is working pretty good.

WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Gotcha, so essentially a full body program that one does 4 days a week? Wouldnt that inevitably lead to working the same muscle group two days in a row? Unless I'm missing something obvious.
    Yes it would
    5 day full body crew

Originally Posted by Nwlifter View Post
    But 4x8 is more volume than 3x5....
    Yes. Was just pointing out that changing something from 5s to 8s is not a guarantee of more effective volume, if I was to add a set it would be in the form of a drop set with the same reps personally.
    Although again if someone is at the point of modifying fierce 5 they could. Probably just do with another training day
    5 day full body crew

Originally Posted by WolfRose7 View Post
    Yes. Was just pointing out that changing something from 5s to 8s is not a guarantee of more effective volume, if I was to add a set it would be in the form of a drop set with the same reps personally.
    Although again if someone is at the point of modifying fierce 5 they could. Probably just do with another training day
    OH ok yes agree, 5-8 reps not much difference. I thought he was pointing out going from 3 to 4 sets as more volume.
    Must read books