CamnJB is on a distinguished road. (+10)

UK Best Iron Olympic Plates

Looking to start building my own home gym and searching for the best plates to get. I've been looking at Rogue Europe's Cast Iron Plates as well as Yorks Black Cast Iron Plates from Gym Ratz UK as my two options (not the York Hammertone ones they're made in China and have terrible reviews online). The Rogue plates will cost around £100 more including shipping and tax are they worth it?

The other option is BodyPower Plates whilst they are machined they aren't standard size and I've seen mixed reviews. Anyone have any suggestions for good plates or recommends either the York or Rogue ones over the other?

gym62richard is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) gym62richard is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) gym62richard is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) gym62richard is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) gym62richard is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) gym62richard is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) gym62richard is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) gym62richard is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) gym62richard is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) gym62richard is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) gym62richard is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Best plates?, or best value plates?, for a basic cast plate, there are too many options to mention, the Rogue plates or York plates will do the job, if aesthetics is a consideration the finish is probably a little better on the Rogue. Pretty much every cast iron plate is manufactured in China, even top brands such as Ivanko.

Wolverson and The Gym Revolution are worth a look, I like the ATX Premium plates , but they're not cheap and are Tri-grip, which is not for everyone.

If you're not too worried by the odd blemish or require a very accurate weight tolerance, then the Bodypower plates are great value.
    Last edited by gym62richard; 10-15-2019 at 05:21 AM.

The Bodypower and York Plates work out about the same price. The York plates are apparently made in Canada by York Barbell so I'm hoping the quality on them will be decent.

The Body power aren't standard size which means I'll be doing deficit deadlifts (which isn't really a bad thing I guess). As the plates are machined I'm guessing will have better tolerance than York's cast iron.

I did buy a EZ curl bar from Bodypower and it's chipped and bearings wobble so I'm sceptical about the quality. I guess a machined plate is harder to mess up?

gym62richard is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) gym62richard is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) gym62richard is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) gym62richard is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) gym62richard is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) gym62richard is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) gym62richard is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) gym62richard is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) gym62richard is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) gym62richard is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) gym62richard is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by CamnJB View Post
    The Bodypower and York Plates work out about the same price. The York plates are apparently made in Canada by York Barbell so I'm hoping the quality on them will be decent.

The Body power aren't standard size which means I'll be doing deficit deadlifts (which isn't really a bad thing I guess). As the plates are machined I'm guessing

will have better tolerance than York's cast iron.

I did buy a EZ curl bar from Bodypower and it's chipped and bearings wobble so I'm sceptical about the quality. I guess a machined plate is harder to mess up?
    I wasn't aware that York (Canada) cast their plates in house, in fact I don't know of a single manufacturer who's cast plates are not manufactured in South East Asia, generally on mainland China or Taiwan.

It's a different matter with steel calibrated plates, we even manufacture them in the UK Lol, but they come at a premium price.

I know what you mean, I'm not a Bodypower/FitnessSupersore fan, but I do have a few of their plates on my Hammer Strength units, inexpensive and plenty. good enough for a machine.

Ordered the York plates and got a call from Gym Ratz saying they don't have much stock of the Canadian plates left as the factory shut down. The factory shut down a while ago and production moved to china which is where the new hammertone plates are made. Looking online they seem to be of poor quality so I don't really want to get those plates.

I'm thinking of forking over the extra cash for the Rogue plates because I trust the quality will be good and the plates will last.

Ordered the York plates and got a call from Gym Ratz saying they don't have much stock of the Canadian plates left as the factory shut down. The factory shut down a while ago and production moved to china which is where the new hammertone plates are made. Looking online they seem to be of poor quality so I don't really want to get those plates.

I'm thinking of forking over the extra cash for the Rogue plates because I trust the quality will be good and the plates will last.

The issue with cast plates is that consistency is difficult to achieve, even for the better quality suppliers. I have no Rogue plates, but I do have Rogue Mono's and curl bar, both are excellent quality, so I guess you get what you pay for.

They also offer York G2 rubber coated plates which are made in America by York Barbell they work out bit more expensive than the rogue plates.

They don't look as nice put from what i can tell are machined plates coated in rubber so they likely have better tolerances. Have you had any experience with these?

Wolverson Bison bumper plates look fair priced as well to be fair. I ordered the ATX Ram Olympic Bar which looks to be really good for the price.
    Last edited by CamnJB; 10-16-2019 at 05:34 AM.

In the end I bought the BodyPower machined iron weights as they seem to have good reviews, look decent and are cheapest option by far for seemingly decent quality. I got 207.5kg with next day delivery for just over £400. Looks like I'll be doing deficit deadlifts though which I guess will give some advantage when lifting with standard plates. The York plates I wanted were not available, Rogue and the higher quality rubber coated York plates would have cost be £150 more for 177.5kg which is the weight of plates I was originally looking at getting.

They also offer York G2 rubber coated plates which are made in America by York Barbell they work out bit more expensive than the rogue plates.

They don't look as nice put from what i can tell are machined plates coated in rubber so they likely have better tolerances. Have you had any experience with these?

Wolverson Bison bumper plates look fair priced as well to be fair. I ordered the ATX Ram Olympic Bar which looks to be really good for the price.
    No experience of the G2 plates, but I've had York Tri Grip rubber coated plates for about 12 years and have had no issues, mind they've spent the majority of their time on plate loaded machines.

For free weight work I tend to use Werksan Lion bumpers, as my background is in weightlifting, but I tend to stick to the big compounds these days.

I also have an ATX Ram bar in my collection, it's not my primary bar as I tend to use my Watson Power bar for rack work, never the less the Ram bar is very good and I do like to mix a 28.5mm bar into my routine , for the price the Ram bar is hard to beat .

Registered User Remingtongauge2's Avatar
    Remingtongauge2 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Remingtongauge2 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Remingtongauge2 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Remingtongauge2 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Remingtongauge2 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Remingtongauge2 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Remingtongauge2 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Remingtongauge2 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Remingtongauge2 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Remingtongauge2 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Remingtongauge2 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    see if you can find some yorks, those are a staple of any gym.