johnnypotseed is on a distinguished road. (+10) johnnypotseed is on a distinguished road. (+10) johnnypotseed is on a distinguished road. (+10) johnnypotseed is on a distinguished road. (+10) johnnypotseed is on a distinguished road. (+10) johnnypotseed is on a distinguished road. (+10) johnnypotseed is on a distinguished road. (+10) johnnypotseed is on a distinguished road. (+10) johnnypotseed is on a distinguished road. (+10) johnnypotseed is on a distinguished road. (+10) johnnypotseed is on a distinguished road. (+10)

StrongLifts 5x5 accessories

Watup guys. I ran strong lifts a few months back and really enjoyed it. I stopped lifting for whatever random excuse and finally decided to get back to it after 6 months. What do you think of the following?

Workout A

Squat 5x5
    Bench 5x5
    Row 5x5

Dips 3x5
    Curls 3x10
    Calf Raises 3x10

Workout B

Squat 5x5
    OHP 5x5
    DL 1x5

Chinups 3x5
    Curls 3x10
    Calf Raises 3x10

I can't do 3x10 on Dips and Chinups, so modified to 3x5. I added Dips and Chinups mainly because the StrongLifts website suggests them as accessories, and I've seen others suggest them for additional arm/back work. I added Curls and Calf Raises for aesthetics.

I'm 5'8 (172.72cm) 165lbs (74.8kg). 34 y/o with I guess an average build, a little on the skinny side with a little belly fat. I'd guess around 20-30% body fat. Does this seem like a pretty solid workout? My main goals are strength and size, and eventually getting rid of the belly fat.

Initially I changed the program to 4x9 and added the Curls and Calf Raises. I ran that last week, but decided I'd probably be better off following SL 5x5 and adding accessories to the existing program.

Crawling back under rock OldFartTom's Avatar
    OldFartTom has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) OldFartTom has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) OldFartTom has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) OldFartTom has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) OldFartTom has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) OldFartTom has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) OldFartTom has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) OldFartTom has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) OldFartTom has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) OldFartTom has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) OldFartTom has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by johnnypotseed View Post
    ... ... probably be better off following SL 5x5 and adding accessories to the existing program.
    I think when the going starts to get really tough, the dips (a fine exercise as they are) will conflict with the OHP/bench
    IMHO don't bother with the curls either, just do a mix of pullups and chinups at the end of every session.
    Do calf raises as very last thing, so if you're running out of time you ccan drop them

dazitmayn is just really nice. (+1000) dazitmayn is just really nice. (+1000) dazitmayn is just really nice. (+1000) dazitmayn is just really nice. (+1000) dazitmayn is just really nice. (+1000) dazitmayn is just really nice. (+1000) dazitmayn is just really nice. (+1000) dazitmayn is just really nice. (+1000) dazitmayn is just really nice. (+1000) dazitmayn is just really nice. (+1000) dazitmayn is just really nice. (+1000)
    pullups curls and calf raises are fine

dips are probably not

TopHeavyMirin is just really nice. (+1000) TopHeavyMirin is just really nice. (+1000) TopHeavyMirin is just really nice. (+1000) TopHeavyMirin is just really nice. (+1000) TopHeavyMirin is just really nice. (+1000) TopHeavyMirin is just really nice. (+1000) TopHeavyMirin is just really nice. (+1000) TopHeavyMirin is just really nice. (+1000) TopHeavyMirin is just really nice. (+1000) TopHeavyMirin is just really nice. (+1000) TopHeavyMirin is just really nice. (+1000)
    just do skulls and curls.

p.s the advice on the stronglifts 5x5 is extremely stupid, coming from somebody who is uneducated, filled with bro science, overexxagerated claims about muscle building, and is in general directed to gym newbs who would settle for any type of gains.
    dont complain in 6 months when you can squat 140kg but your legs look like sticks.
    not a good program to put on size.
    "Get Better Today" - Russel Orhii

johnnypotseed is on a distinguished road. (+10) johnnypotseed is on a distinguished road. (+10) johnnypotseed is on a distinguished road. (+10) johnnypotseed is on a distinguished road. (+10) johnnypotseed is on a distinguished road. (+10) johnnypotseed is on a distinguished road. (+10) johnnypotseed is on a distinguished road. (+10) johnnypotseed is on a distinguished road. (+10) johnnypotseed is on a distinguished road. (+10) johnnypotseed is on a distinguished road. (+10) johnnypotseed is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    What's wrong with SL 5x5? What would you recommend over it? I workout at home and would prefer barbell only. I will say Squatting 140kg in 6 months sounds pretty great.

Registered User Deep-Voiced-One's Avatar
    Deep-Voiced-One is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Deep-Voiced-One is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Deep-Voiced-One is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Deep-Voiced-One is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Deep-Voiced-One is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Deep-Voiced-One is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Deep-Voiced-One is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Deep-Voiced-One is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Deep-Voiced-One is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Deep-Voiced-One is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Deep-Voiced-One is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by johnnypotseed View Post
    Watup guys. I ran strong lifts a few months back and really enjoyed it. I stopped lifting for whatever random excuse and finally decided to get back to it after 6 months. What do you think of the following?

Workout A

Squat 5x5
    Bench 5x5
    Row 5x5

Dips 3x5
    Curls 3x10
    Calf Raises 3x10

Workout B

Squat 5x5
    OHP 5x5
    DL 1x5

Chinups 3x5
    Curls 3x10
    Calf Raises 3x10

I can't do 3x10 on Dips and Chinups, so modified to 3x5. I added Dips and Chinups mainly because the StrongLifts website suggests them as accessories, and I've seen others suggest them for additional arm/back work. I added Curls and Calf Raises for aesthetics.

I'm 5'8 (172.72cm) 165lbs (74.8kg). 34 y/o with I guess an average build, a little on the skinny side with a little belly fat. I'd guess around 20-30% body fat. Does this seem like a pretty solid workout? My main goals are strength and size, and eventually getting rid of the belly fat.

Initially I changed the program to 4x9 and added the Curls and Calf Raises. I ran that last week, but decided I'd probably be better off following SL 5x5 and adding accessories to the existing program.
    Adding accessories to SL is totally fine, don't sweat the exact set and rep ranges on dips and chins, just do 3 sets of as many reps as possible with good form and you'll get stronger with your consistency on them.

On a program like SL you can still add more aesthetic movements, just do them according to your endurance level and how you feel after the main lifts and accessories and how much time you have to do them.

The good thing about focusing on the main compounds in a routine is that you can be flexible on what you do, or don't do after them and still make progress.

Oleg1975K has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Oleg1975K has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Oleg1975K has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Oleg1975K has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Oleg1975K has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Oleg1975K has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Oleg1975K has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Oleg1975K has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Oleg1975K has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Oleg1975K has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Oleg1975K has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Originally Posted by TopHeavyMirin View Post

p.s the advice on the stronglifts 5x5 is extremely stupid, coming from somebody who is uneducated, filled with bro science, overexxagerated claims about muscle building, and is in general directed to gym newbs who would settle for any type of gains.
    dont complain in 6 months when you can squat 140kg but your legs look like sticks.
    A person who is able to sit deep with a 140 kg bar at least 1 time will no longer have legs in the form of sticks.
    Don't say heresy )))

Crawling back under rock OldFartTom's Avatar
    OldFartTom has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) OldFartTom has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) OldFartTom has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) OldFartTom has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) OldFartTom has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) OldFartTom has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) OldFartTom has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) OldFartTom has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) OldFartTom has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) OldFartTom has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) OldFartTom has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)

I understand where some of your concerns are coming from, but I think you're being overly negative. Medhi has sold out on hype to shill his program (I suppose it's how he earns his money) and the website claims are ridiculous, you know "follow my program and get more s3x" type comments
    but the program is OK IMHO (although lacking pullups or equivalent). It's a damn site better than what I see the average gym goer doing. Churning the numbers of people who've followed it, he's probably done as much to get people into big-lifts, progressive overload and structured training than most other people (Ripetoe included). It's an good entry point not some perfect program to aspire to. Just saying...

Thanks for all the replies and tips guys.

Oleg1975K has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Oleg1975K has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Oleg1975K has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Oleg1975K has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Oleg1975K has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Oleg1975K has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Oleg1975K has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Oleg1975K has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Oleg1975K has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Oleg1975K has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Oleg1975K has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    I think that "AceCream fitness" as a program for a beginner will be more interesting than this "Stronglifts". Although eventually they will both stop working because linear progression as a method is only good for beginners.

TopHeavyMirin is just really nice. (+1000) TopHeavyMirin is just really nice. (+1000) TopHeavyMirin is just really nice. (+1000) TopHeavyMirin is just really nice. (+1000) TopHeavyMirin is just really nice. (+1000) TopHeavyMirin is just really nice. (+1000) TopHeavyMirin is just really nice. (+1000) TopHeavyMirin is just really nice. (+1000) TopHeavyMirin is just really nice. (+1000) TopHeavyMirin is just really nice. (+1000) TopHeavyMirin is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by Oleg1975K View Post
    A person who is able to sit deep with a 140 kg bar at least 1 time will no longer have legs in the form of sticks.
    Don't say heresy )))
    ive seen people squatting a lot of plates and having big legs. this program will help you grow, but will not in any way optimize your growth

Originally Posted by OldFartTom View Post
    I understand where some of your concerns are coming from, but I think you're being overly negative. Medhi has sold out on hype to shill his program (I suppose it's how he earns his money) and the website claims are ridiculous, you know "follow my program and get more s3x" type comments
    but the program is OK IMHO (although lacking pullups or equivalent). It's a damn site better than what I see the average gym goer doing. Churning the numbers of people who've followed it, he's probably done as much to get people into big-lifts, progressive overload and structured training than most other people (Ripetoe included). It's an good entry point not some perfect program to aspire to. Just saying...
    i agree its a good entry point, but its nothing more than that. just an overhyped program that a bunch of lazy noobs like to follow.

i however cannot stand his website and forums. its disgusting how much lies and bull**** are spread through there. they just got some good looking web design and now they think they can spread broscience if they use a smart font.

>>>>я видел людей, сидящих на корточках много тарелок и имеющих большие ноги. эта программа поможет вам расти, но никак не будет оптимизировать ваш рост<<<<

Even the hedgehog understands that not one, even the best program, will work forever. )))
    Especially when we mean a beginner program.
    Regarding the relationship, muscle strength / size of its cross section ... it is straight. It doesn’t matter which program you use at the same time, the growth of power indicators and sizes go together.
    When I could somehow squat 120 kg per 1 repeat, the circumference of my thigh was 56 cm. Having reached 150 kg per 1 repeat, it was already 60 cm. Now my hips are 64 cm long, so I can sit deep 180 kg without knee bandages .
    bench press 167.5 kgx1, 125 kgx13, 100 kgх24
    standing press 100 kgx1, 82,5 kg 4 sets х 5 reps
    deadlift 230 kgx1, 200 kgx4, 190 kg 3 sets x 5 reps
    raw squat 180 kgx1, 150 kg 5x5
    chin-ups +25 kg x10 reps

ChesticleGainz will become famous soon enough. (+50) ChesticleGainz will become famous soon enough. (+50) ChesticleGainz will become famous soon enough. (+50) ChesticleGainz will become famous soon enough. (+50) ChesticleGainz will become famous soon enough. (+50) ChesticleGainz will become famous soon enough. (+50) ChesticleGainz will become famous soon enough. (+50) ChesticleGainz will become famous soon enough. (+50) ChesticleGainz will become famous soon enough. (+50) ChesticleGainz will become famous soon enough. (+50) ChesticleGainz will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    ive seen people squatting a lot of plates and having big legs. this program will help you grow, but will not in any way optimize your growth

i agree its a good entry point, but its nothing more than that. just an overhyped program that a bunch of lazy noobs like to follow.

i however cannot stand his website and forums. its disgusting how much lies and bull**** are spread through there. they just got some good looking web design and now they think they can spread broscience if they use a smart font.
    Are you envious of Medhi? I agree with you that some of the **** on his website is overhyped, but it isn't all bull**** either. I ran that program and milked it for 4 months when I first started out. It worked well for me, and I liked the free app. It kept me motivated to keep seeing my numbers go up as a beginner.

Originally Posted by ChesticleGainz View Post
    Are you envious of Medhi? I agree with you that some of the **** on his website is overhyped, but it isn't all bull**** either. I ran that program and milked it for 4 months when I first started out. It worked well for me, and I liked the free app. It kept me motivated to keep seeing my numbers go up as a beginner.
    its good if you wanna get bigger numbers, not if you want to get... bigger.

ChesticleGainz will become famous soon enough. (+50) ChesticleGainz will become famous soon enough. (+50) ChesticleGainz will become famous soon enough. (+50) ChesticleGainz will become famous soon enough. (+50) ChesticleGainz will become famous soon enough. (+50) ChesticleGainz will become famous soon enough. (+50) ChesticleGainz will become famous soon enough. (+50) ChesticleGainz will become famous soon enough. (+50) ChesticleGainz will become famous soon enough. (+50) ChesticleGainz will become famous soon enough. (+50) ChesticleGainz will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    its good if you wanna get bigger numbers, not if you want to get... bigger.
    Where do you come up with this nonsense? You can't get stronger without getting bigger. You think someone with a 315 5 rep bench is going to have a small chest and arms?