Thread: Fierce 5 Novice

Andrew578 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Andrew578 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Andrew578 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Andrew578 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Andrew578 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Andrew578 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Andrew578 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Andrew578 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Andrew578 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Andrew578 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Andrew578 has a spectacular aura about. (+250)

Fierce 5 Novice

Hi,
    I was talking to a PT at my gym and I showed him my current program which is the fierce 5 novice full body. He said yes it is a decent program however as a beginner you should focus on growing the muscle through full ROM and good form. He said for a beginner hypertrophy is what is needed between the 6-12 reps zone and then once the muscle is built then you can focus on strength. I also hit 85kg squat today for 5 reps and 3 sets and I am progressing in weight as the program insists, however as I increase the weight my form suffers for example the i did not go full ROM in the 85kg squats. He said weight is not an important factor and that I should not sacrifice form for weight. Then how would I progress? Any thoughts on this would be much appreciated. Thanks

He also said that running the program for 4 months is too long.
    Last edited by Andrew578; 10-14-2019 at 11:24 PM.

tommy4life is a name known to all. (+5000) tommy4life is a name known to all. (+5000) tommy4life is a name known to all. (+5000) tommy4life is a name known to all. (+5000) tommy4life is a name known to all. (+5000) tommy4life is a name known to all. (+5000) tommy4life is a name known to all. (+5000) tommy4life is a name known to all. (+5000) tommy4life is a name known to all. (+5000) tommy4life is a name known to all. (+5000) tommy4life is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by Andrew578 View Post
    Hi,
    I was talking to a PT at my gym and I showed him my current program which is the fierce 5 novice full body. He said yes it is a decent program however as a beginner you should focus on growing the muscle through full ROM and good form. He said for a beginner hypertrophy is what is needed between the 6-12 reps zone and then once the muscle is built then you can focus on strength. I also hit 85kg squat today for 5 reps and 3 sets and I am progressing in weight as the program insists, however as I increase the weight my form suffers for example the i did not go full ROM in the 85kg squats. He said weight is not an important factor and that I should not sacrifice form for weight. Then how would I progress? Any thoughts on this would be much appreciated. Thanks

He also said that running the program for 4 months is too long.
    He sounds like an idiot

Andrew578 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Andrew578 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Andrew578 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Andrew578 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Andrew578 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Andrew578 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Andrew578 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Andrew578 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Andrew578 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Andrew578 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Andrew578 has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Originally Posted by tommy4life View Post
    He sounds like an idiot
    so u recon just continue doing fierce 5 and progressing and eating in a surplus

rsid97 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) rsid97 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) rsid97 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) rsid97 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) rsid97 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) rsid97 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) rsid97 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) rsid97 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) rsid97 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) rsid97 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) rsid97 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by tommy4life View Post
    He sounds like an idiot
    Second this ^

As with most PTs spewing bad advice, this one seems no different. To address the points:

- As you have probably already guessed, how do you plan on focusing on hypertrophy if you're not building strength? Strength, does not exclusively mean 1RMs, if you're progressively overloading in the 6-12 rep range, you're still building strength.

- The form and ROM issue is not to do with the program,you could change up the program and still have poor ROM and form when you're progressing. Work on your form, that's not a programming issue.

- I agree that you shouldn't completely sacrifice form for weight, but saying that weight isn't an important factor is plain stupid. Having excellent form, with a stagnant weight (or whatever other form of overloading) isn't going to get you anywhere.

- The statement about running it for 4 months is just arbitrary and mis-informed again. Run it for however long it takes you to milk out your gains as a novice lifter, that time period is going to be unique to you, not decided by some other person.
    Redcon1 Tier Operator - T20RSid

Some lifting stuff (IG) - @rsid_97

My Growth Stimulus Training journal - https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=175699161

Originally Posted by rsid97 View Post
    Second this ^

As with most PTs spewing bad advice, this one seems no different. To address the points:

- As you have probably already guessed, how do you plan on focusing on hypertrophy if you're not building strength? Strength, does not exclusively mean 1RMs, if you're progressively overloading in the 6-12 rep range, you're still building strength.

- The form and ROM issue is not to do with the program,you could change up the program and still have poor ROM and form when you're progressing. Work on your form, that's not a programming issue.

- I agree that you shouldn't completely sacrifice form for weight, but saying that weight isn't an important factor is plain stupid. Having excellent form, with a stagnant weight (or whatever other form of overloading) isn't going to get you anywhere.

- The statement about running it for 4 months is just arbitrary and mis-informed again. Run it for however long it takes you to milk out your gains as a novice lifter, that time period is going to be unique to you, not decided by some other person.
    thanks for the help. Lol he is giving me a free PT lesson on Thursday. He also said the rest time of 3 minutes is to long and that is should be around 90 seconds. Should i just not believe him (btw he is pretty big, probs on gear tho)

WakingOp has a spectacular aura about. (+250) WakingOp has a spectacular aura about. (+250) WakingOp has a spectacular aura about. (+250) WakingOp has a spectacular aura about. (+250) WakingOp has a spectacular aura about. (+250) WakingOp has a spectacular aura about. (+250) WakingOp has a spectacular aura about. (+250) WakingOp has a spectacular aura about. (+250) WakingOp has a spectacular aura about. (+250) WakingOp has a spectacular aura about. (+250) WakingOp has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Originally Posted by Andrew578 View Post
    thanks for the help. Lol he is giving me a free PT lesson on Thursday. He also said the rest time of 3 minutes is to long and that is should be around 90 seconds. Should i just not believe him (btw he is pretty big, probs on gear tho)
    90 seconds isn't gonna cut it if you're lifting near maximal capacity. You build an oxygen deficit that must be replenished. That and the ATP synthesis. You can do 90 seconds, but your performance is gonna tank.