Peuxfaire is on a distinguished road. (+10)

Disappointing results . . .

I'm 46 years old and have been seeing a PT for hypertrophy twice a week since the end of January and doing two sessions on my own a week too. So, four sessions in the gym a week.

Mons - chest and tris
    Tues - legs
    Weds- back and shoulders
    Frids - delts and arms

I know that building muscle is very difficult, but I've been working very hard and have had only minimal results.

My diet is based on these food examples:

BreaKfast: porridge oats, milk, ground almonds, Brazil nuts, blueberries.
    Snack: smoked salmon with cottage cheese.
    Lunch: chicken or turkey, broccoli, asparagus, mixed vegetables, rice
    Snack: a handful of almonds
    Dinner: beef or fish, broccoli, asparagus, sweet potato

I have a protein shake after my workout (or in place of one of the snacks if I'm busy) with isolate whey protein, half a banana, a teaspoon of peanut butter and 5 grammes of creatine.

I sleep between 7 to 8 hours a night.

I've been sticking to this routine/regime religiously except when I was ill for a month at the end of May.

I'm really losing motivation now due to not seeing the results I expected and I'm becoming bored with the whole thing and as a consequence very disappointed and depressed.

Can anyone tell me where I'm going wrong?

FatBallz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) FatBallz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) FatBallz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) FatBallz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) FatBallz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) FatBallz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) FatBallz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) FatBallz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) FatBallz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) FatBallz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) FatBallz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    I would reconsider the routine if I were you. It think the problem is that you're on a split. Right now you are only working each muscle group once per week. You would probably do much better on a full body program that hits the muscle groups multiple times a week.

Check out the "Workout Programs" section. The stickies at the top of the forum contain a few good routines. Just follow it as written and things will likely improve. You probably won't need a PT anymore after that.

It looks like you understand how to create a proper diet and the importance of adequate rest, so you're probably ok there.

Other than that, remain consistent and you will see results.

Best of luck
    Smoke 'em if you got 'em

Tor575 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Tor575 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Tor575 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Tor575 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Tor575 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Tor575 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Tor575 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Tor575 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Tor575 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Tor575 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Tor575 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Why not make the big compound lifts the foundation of your workouts? I'm sure you would get better results.
    Gym PR's:
    495/320/585

Han shot first! TolerantLactose's Avatar
    TolerantLactose is just really nice. (+1000) TolerantLactose is just really nice. (+1000) TolerantLactose is just really nice. (+1000) TolerantLactose is just really nice. (+1000) TolerantLactose is just really nice. (+1000) TolerantLactose is just really nice. (+1000) TolerantLactose is just really nice. (+1000) TolerantLactose is just really nice. (+1000) TolerantLactose is just really nice. (+1000) TolerantLactose is just really nice. (+1000) TolerantLactose is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by Peuxfaire View Post
    I'm 46 years old and have been seeing a PT for hypertrophy twice a week since the end of January and doing two sessions on my own a week too. So, four sessions in the gym a week.

Mons - chest and tris
    Tues - legs
    Weds- back and shoulders
    Frids - delts and arms
    1) This is just a list of body parts.
    2) Which days are with the PT and which are days you're left to fill in the blanks?

Originally Posted by Peuxfaire View Post
    My diet is based on these food examples:

BreaKfast: porridge oats, milk, ground almonds, Brazil nuts, blueberries.
    Snack: smoked salmon with cottage cheese.
    Lunch: chicken or turkey, broccoli, asparagus, mixed vegetables, rice
    Snack: a handful of almonds
    Dinner: beef or fish, broccoli, asparagus, sweet potato

I have a protein shake after my workout (or in place of one of the snacks if I'm busy) with isolate whey protein, half a banana, a teaspoon of peanut butter and 5 grammes of creatine.
    You're not saying how many calories or how much protein/fat/carbs you're eating.
    I can tell time. Time cannot tell me.

Formerly LactoseTolerant. I'm not very imaginative.

Powerlifting in disguise induced_drag's Avatar
    induced_drag has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) induced_drag has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) induced_drag has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) induced_drag has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) induced_drag has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) induced_drag has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) induced_drag has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) induced_drag has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) induced_drag has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) induced_drag has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) induced_drag has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    If you are not gaining weight/mass, you are not eating enough. Period. Your body will not make muscle out of thin air. You have to eat an excess of calories. The key is to eat enough to gain mass, and not so much you get fat.

If you are starting on a weight loss protocol, (read you are already heavy), you can indeed lose weight and gain mass at the same time. When you are carrying around a lot of excess fat, there is plenty of energy floating around to build mass even while losing. This ability to lose fat and gain muscle pretty much goes away after your 'newb' portion of training.

My guess, is even if your routine is sub par, the biggest reason is you are not meeting your caloric needs to grow. Your PT sucks if he/she has never addressed this with you. It is like showing up to build a house and not having any materials on site. Essentially you have been doing 'busy work', but very little in the way of productivity.

Not all is lost though. Working out has a lot to do with CNS conditioning was well. Get your workout program and diet in order, and you are in a great place to start making some progress. You have just been milked by a trainer happy to work you out 2 days a week and did not want to give you the tools to help yourself.

Drop the trainer in my opinion. Anyone that would let you linger along for 10 months and not recognize your lack of progress and give you advice on how to change, is not worth doing another session with.
    RAW lifts
    635 Dead http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mATRBZ0gwdg
    585x7 Dead reps http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6yf2ZkdNNNQ
    420 Bench (paused) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MJ2_Q-TLIB8
    545 Squat http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0qZZLnePFiI
    225 x 29 bench http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fe68-LgD0jM

OldFartTom has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) OldFartTom has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) OldFartTom has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) OldFartTom has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) OldFartTom has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) OldFartTom has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) OldFartTom has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) OldFartTom has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) OldFartTom has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) OldFartTom has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) OldFartTom has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    All is not lost, don't get depressed and quit.

With building work there can be a lot of groundwork putting in drains and services, pouring concrete for foundations, etc etc. It can take some time before you see the building start to go up but all that groundwork isn't wasted time. The workouts you've been doing aren't wasted.

I'm not going to sugar coat this further, your PT sounds terrible (like induced_drag said) and probably you could have had better progress, but what you've done already isn't wasted and you can build on it.

IMHO you should

1) drop the PT (save your money)

2) change up a gear, note what tor575 said about workouts. Start a 3 day a week full body program based on the "big lifts", this is real bang for buck. Consider either running Stronglifts or Fierce5

Stronglifts 5*5 - this will be good for maybe 6 months, free phone app on Google play or Apple store (https://stronglifts.com/5x5/) everything is handed to you on a plate

Fierce5 - this is better structured and so you can run it longer, but no app and you'll need to track things yourself and do a small amount of thinking. https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showt...hp?t=159678631

3) just keep going, results take time, don't quit now, it will start to show some point soon, although I can't predict exactly when as so much depends on individuals

Enjoy...
    Faith in Jesus first and faith in squats second.
    Then other details will start to slot themselves into place.
    Diet restarted Monday Oct 28th @76.8, Nov 8th 75.2, target 69.x Kg.

Registered User risingstarl96a1's Avatar
    risingstarl96a1 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) risingstarl96a1 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) risingstarl96a1 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) risingstarl96a1 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) risingstarl96a1 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) risingstarl96a1 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) risingstarl96a1 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) risingstarl96a1 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) risingstarl96a1 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) risingstarl96a1 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) risingstarl96a1 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Takes time to see results. Varies on what you want. More muscles = More Caloric Intake and you be popping. Since you wanted to gain.
    “It is not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent; it is the one most adaptable to change.” -Charles Darwin, 1809

drudixon has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) drudixon has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) drudixon has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) drudixon has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) drudixon has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) drudixon has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) drudixon has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) drudixon has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) drudixon has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) drudixon has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) drudixon has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Take pictures so you can see progress over time. Agree with the others, get on a solid beginner program like those above.
    B: 285
    S: 375
    D: 555

Oleg1975K is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) Oleg1975K is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) Oleg1975K is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) Oleg1975K is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) Oleg1975K is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) Oleg1975K is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) Oleg1975K is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) Oleg1975K is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) Oleg1975K is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) Oleg1975K is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) Oleg1975K is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank)
    Peuxfaire
    You too rarely train every muscle group. Find yourself such a training sistem, when each muscle group will receive a load 2-3 times a week. And the training session itself should be built around compound exercises.
    bench press 165 kgx1, 125 kgx13, 100 kgх24
    overhead press 100 kgx1, 82,5 kg 4 sets х 5 reps
    deadlift 230 kgx1, 200 kgx4, 190 kg 3 sets x 5 reps
    raw squat 180 kgx1, 150 kg 5x5
    chin-ups +25 kg x10 reps