Thread: Building muscle

sethAB is on a distinguished road. (+10)

Question Building muscle

Im trying to bulk up and have a very fast metabolism, I've recently started hitting the gym 6 days a week with the following routine
    Day 1) chest, triceps
    Day 2) back, biceps
    Day 3) shoulders, traps, abs
    Day 4) rest
    Day 5) chest, triceps
    Day 6) back biceps
    Day7) shoulders, traps, abs
    And so on (I do taekwondo 4 hours a week for cardio and legs)
    I'm not a bad size now and reasonably strong, but I'm not seeing the progress I want to in terms of building muscle. I eat 3 or 4 dinner sized meals a day as well.
    CAN ANYBODY TELL ME WHERE IM GOING WRONG? ANY SUGGESTIONS WELCOME. THANK YOU.
    (I'm 23, 11 and a half stone, and 6 foot)

Registered User LawrenceValenti's Avatar
    LawrenceValenti is just really nice. (+1000) LawrenceValenti is just really nice. (+1000) LawrenceValenti is just really nice. (+1000) LawrenceValenti is just really nice. (+1000) LawrenceValenti is just really nice. (+1000) LawrenceValenti is just really nice. (+1000) LawrenceValenti is just really nice. (+1000) LawrenceValenti is just really nice. (+1000) LawrenceValenti is just really nice. (+1000) LawrenceValenti is just really nice. (+1000) LawrenceValenti is just really nice. (+1000)
    A 3 day full body routine would build more muscle than the 6 day split you’re doing

If you’ve only just started lifting u can hit ur muscles 3 times a week, u only need to drop it down to twice/once a week when you have like 50 pounds of muscle and they need time to recover

Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    I'll add to the the above^^^.
    Basic compound movements are your best bet.
    Bench press,rows,overhead press,squats,bar dips,pull ups to mention a few.
    Focus on and get strong on these.
    Have a training and diet journal and record what you do and eat( all macros and calories)if your serious.
    Eat at least one gram of protein per pound of bodyweight.
    Establish your base calories in where you neither gain or lose weight and when you do eat 500 more calories a day more than you base.
    Recording these things is the only way to be accurate in what your doing.
    Just guessing is a set up for failure.
    Consider how important your martial arts are to you.
    It burns calories and digs into body recovery time.
    There is no need to really do cardio if your trying to gain muscle/weight.
    Good luck.

leroyS is not very well liked. (-100) leroyS is not very well liked. (-100) leroyS is not very well liked. (-100) leroyS is not very well liked. (-100) leroyS is not very well liked. (-100) leroyS is not very well liked. (-100) leroyS is not very well liked. (-100) leroyS is not very well liked. (-100) leroyS is not very well liked. (-100) leroyS is not very well liked. (-100) leroyS is not very well liked. (-100)
    Originally Posted by sethAB View Post
    Im trying to bulk up and have a very fast metabolism, I've recently started hitting the gym 6 days a week with the following routine
    Day 1) chest, triceps
    Day 2) back, biceps
    Day 3) shoulders, traps, abs
    Day 4) rest
    Day 5) chest, triceps
    Day 6) back biceps
    Day7) shoulders, traps, abs
    And so on (I do taekwondo 4 hours a week for cardio and legs)
    I'm not a bad size now and reasonably strong, but I'm not seeing the progress I want to in terms of building muscle. I eat 3 or 4 dinner sized meals a day as well.
    CAN ANYBODY TELL ME WHERE IM GOING WRONG? ANY SUGGESTIONS WELCOME. THANK YOU.
    (I'm 23, 11 and a half stone, and 6 foot)
    Bulking and doing martial arts doesn't work. It's one or the other. I've done thai boxing for 4.5 years and never had any success bulking at the same time as training (3x a week). I had to stop thai and just focus purely on the gym and lift weights and then went back to training. All the guys at my club were the exact same.

Don't know how intense your TKD is but my classes were about 800-900 calories of sweat dripping intensity. Give up your TKD for the time being and just lift.