Lizzy1177 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Lizzy1177 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Lizzy1177 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Lizzy1177 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Lizzy1177 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Lizzy1177 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Lizzy1177 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Lizzy1177 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Lizzy1177 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Lizzy1177 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Lizzy1177 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

When can I realistically expect visible results?

Hi everyone! I’m 41 and the reason I ask this question is that whilst I trained a lot in my 20’s (was super fit my entire 20’s), a little in my early 30’s, but absolutely no weight training since my second child was born 8 years ago (trained until I was 8 weeks pregnant with her then stopped when I got debilitating morning sickness 🤢).

Physically I’m still what I’d consider normal weight, and my partner is very happy with how I look. I have a physical job (I work on a potato farm) and I own a farm in Australia so I have a reasonably active life anyway.

Still, I joined a gym a few weeks ago and have been lifting weights and doing cardio. I’d like to gain way more muscle in my upper body and tone up my legs more, all of which will hopefully take care of a teeny bit of extra fat I have on my thighs and hips (really not much there but I’m not content with it).

Since I haven’t trained since I was 32-33yo I’m not sure how quickly I can expect to start to see changes! I feel like I’m being impatient.

My diet is ok, could probably do with more protein if anything. But I eat vegetables, salad, fruit, chicken, beef, grains, eggs, never overdo it with sweets (I literally never binge eat!), only ever very small portions if I have dessert occasionally.

I train 3-4 times a week, alternating upper body and legs, with cardio most gym visits. I try to really push myself and I’m gradually increasing my lifting weights.

Do we gain muscle a lot slower as we get older? Will my muscles ‘remember’ because I used to train? It’s been so long I don’t know what to expect.

Would appreciate hearing others stories

grubman has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) grubman has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) grubman has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) grubman has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) grubman has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) grubman has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) grubman has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) grubman has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) grubman has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) grubman has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) grubman has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    Lizzy, welcome back to the hobby. If you were serious and fit for a number of years in your 20s, I think you’ll be surprised at how fast it comes back.

I started seeing progress in just a couple months. By 6 months I looked like I had been at it for years, and by 1 year I Was right back where I was in my 20s.

Looking at other guys on this forum who were very serious, and came back after a long break (mine was 17 years), if they do things right and are just as serious, they have a similar experience.

Good luck...stick with it this time

Lizzy1177 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Lizzy1177 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Lizzy1177 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Lizzy1177 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Lizzy1177 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Lizzy1177 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Lizzy1177 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Lizzy1177 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Lizzy1177 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Lizzy1177 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Lizzy1177 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by grubman View Post
    Lizzy, welcome back to the hobby. If you were serious and fit for a number of years in your 20s, I think you’ll be surprised at how fast it comes back.

I started seeing progress in just a couple months. By 6 months I looked like I had been at it for years, and by 1 year I Was right back where I was in my 20s.

Looking at other guys on this forum who were very serious, and came back after a long break (mine was 17 years), if they do things right and are just as serious, they have a similar experience.

Good luck...stick with it this time
    That's very encouraging to read! Thanks!

drudixon has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) drudixon has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) drudixon has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) drudixon has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) drudixon has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) drudixon has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) drudixon has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) drudixon has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) drudixon has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) drudixon has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) drudixon has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Take pictures weekly, avoid the scale and trust the process. You'll find when you look back there are noticeable differences in as little as a month, but you won't notice on a day to day basis.
    B: 285
    S: 375
    D: 555

NerdyLady is a name known to all. (+5000) NerdyLady is a name known to all. (+5000) NerdyLady is a name known to all. (+5000) NerdyLady is a name known to all. (+5000) NerdyLady is a name known to all. (+5000) NerdyLady is a name known to all. (+5000) NerdyLady is a name known to all. (+5000) NerdyLady is a name known to all. (+5000) NerdyLady is a name known to all. (+5000) NerdyLady is a name known to all. (+5000) NerdyLady is a name known to all. (+5000)
    I have lifted light weights all my life (well, since I was 18 and had to build my shoulders because I was an F cup and was getting awful upper back and shoulder pains). Back in July of this year, I got serious about lifting (to build muscle) and increased weight range, incrementally, and bought some bars and plates. I've noticed a big difference in my back, shoulders and arms. My husband has also noticed and is working out harder himself. Changes will happen depending on your diet and your exercise program: frequency, weight, intensity, not over training, sleep, diet etc.

Take periodic photos so you can gauge the changes.
    I am one of the 3%.
    I am one of the 1 in 8.
    www.metavivor.org
    www.metavivor.org/take-action/why-we-need-you

taking March-No-Post pilz weiss1967's Avatar
    weiss1967 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) weiss1967 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) weiss1967 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) weiss1967 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) weiss1967 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) weiss1967 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) weiss1967 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) weiss1967 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) weiss1967 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) weiss1967 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) weiss1967 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Lizzy, I hope you are the keeper. I normally don't answer until new user comes back and have at least two or three posts. People often create profile, ask questions and never come back to even read the answers. It usually is the same question. One big question - how quickly can I see my 6 pack abs/all I need is 6 pack/I don't want to get huge etc, same sheat over and over. And you are (sadly) falling into the same category. I understand you are not happy about your legs, does that mean you will be skipping shoulders and back routines? The point I am trying to make, learn to enjoy your daily workouts. Do not come to gym with high goals and expectations of quick change. It will be like, say, coming to church with expectations of quick and easy forgiveness. Put your work in and you will be rewarded. Gym is the most honest place, it shows the truth who is and who is not.

Crawling back under rock OldFartTom's Avatar
    OldFartTom has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) OldFartTom has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) OldFartTom has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) OldFartTom has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) OldFartTom has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) OldFartTom has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) OldFartTom has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) OldFartTom has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) OldFartTom has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) OldFartTom has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) OldFartTom has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Wow... you lookup tables on how much energy people expend at work and agricultural laborers are usually top of the list. If you run a farm I think you've probably covered "being active" several times over, so not sure you need any of the "bootcamp" million light reps per workout done by office workers

This also ties in with guidance on what type of exercise to do as you get older for example https://www.amazon.com/Barbell-Presc.../dp/B06Y4LXFCK (disclaimer the doc writing this is affiliated to Mark Rippetoe so he might be accused of bias)

The idea is to favour more towards strength training and do less endurance training as you age

Originally Posted by weiss1967 View Post
    Lizzy, I hope you are the keeper. I normally don't answer until new user comes back and have at least two or three posts. People often create profile, ask questions and never come back to even read the answers. It usually is the same question. One big question - how quickly can I see my 6 pack abs/all I need is 6 pack/I don't want to get huge etc, same sheat over and over. And you are (sadly) falling into the same category. I understand you are not happy about your legs, does that mean you will be skipping shoulders and back routines? The point I am trying to make, learn to enjoy your daily workouts. Do not come to gym with high goals and expectations of quick change. It will be like, say, coming to church with expectations of quick and easy forgiveness. Put your work in and you will be rewarded. Gym is the most honest place, it shows the truth who is and who is not.
    Thanks for your reply. I do really enjoy the workouts, and no I do not skip the upper body workouts! Currently I’m averaging two upper body sessions a week and two leg days a week. The gym is my happy place and stress relief. We run a cattle farm, I work on a potato farm and we are a blended family of 4 kids so this is something I do for me.

Was just wondering if there were any other women out there with experience similar, that’s all. I don’t think I have particularly high expectations.

NerdyLady is a name known to all. (+5000) NerdyLady is a name known to all. (+5000) NerdyLady is a name known to all. (+5000) NerdyLady is a name known to all. (+5000) NerdyLady is a name known to all. (+5000) NerdyLady is a name known to all. (+5000) NerdyLady is a name known to all. (+5000) NerdyLady is a name known to all. (+5000) NerdyLady is a name known to all. (+5000) NerdyLady is a name known to all. (+5000) NerdyLady is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by Lizzy1177 View Post
    Thanks for your reply. I do really enjoy the workouts, and no I do not skip the upper body workouts! Currently I’m averaging two upper body sessions a week and two leg days a week. The gym is my happy place and stress relief. We run a cattle farm, I work on a potato farm and we are a blended family of 4 kids so this is something I do for me.

Was just wondering if there were any other women out there with experience similar, that’s all. I don’t think I have particularly high expectations.
    I have started a journal on here which I'm going to try to use as a way to keep pushing myself. What I didn't mention is that I lost a significant amount of weight almost 9 years ago. I started to see my muscle definition when I had lost about 40+ lbs because I ramped up my lifting and cardio right at the start of my weight loss journey. By the time I hit my goal, I had a lot of visible muscle.

Right now I've been bulking to build muscle so I'm lifting heavier than I ever have (just not insanely heavy due to limitations). You will be able to see a difference, if you keep consistent, as you train and keep an eye on what you eat. It isn't a quick process, though.

Since I was already pretty small, increasing caloric intake is hard for me (hard, because I don't want to be fat again, for more than just the look now) but eating a balanced diet helps. Also taking measurements will help you. Take a weekly photo. My husband says he can feel, and see, the difference in my arms and legs, shoulders and back too.

Ask your husband to be a part of your transformation by, perhaps, taking some pictures as you progress. Keep journaling. Sounds like you already have a pretty hectic life.
    I am one of the 3%.
    I am one of the 1 in 8.
    www.metavivor.org

Originally Posted by NerdyLady View Post
    I have started a journal on here which I'm going to try to use as a way to keep pushing myself. What I didn't mention is that I lost a significant amount of weight almost 9 years ago. I started to see my muscle definition when I had lost about 40+ lbs because I ramped up my lifting and cardio right at the start of my weight loss journey. By the time I hit my goal, I had a lot of visible muscle.

Right now I've been bulking to build muscle so I'm lifting heavier than I ever have (just not insanely heavy due to limitations). You will be able to see a difference, if you keep consistent, as you train and keep an eye on what you eat. It isn't a quick process, though.

Since I was already pretty small, increasing caloric intake is hard for me (hard, because I don't want to be fat again, for more than just the look now) but eating a balanced diet helps. Also taking measurements will help you. Take a weekly photo. My husband says he can feel, and see, the difference in my arms and legs, shoulders and back too.

Ask your husband to be a part of your transformation by, perhaps, taking some pictures as you progress. Keep journaling. Sounds like you already have a pretty hectic life.
    Thank you so much for your reply, really appreciate it! I probably should start taking photos, yes. I have always taken progress photos in the past and even now it's handy to see how I changed at times when I was training. It's been very sporadic since having my first child at 29, but the biggest gap has been the last 8 years. My daughter had cancer at age 3-4 (she's a healthy 8 year old now I'm pleased to say), so for a good year at that time I definitely did not train as I was her full time carer. I got quite skinny due to not eating properly and obviously the stress, but thankfully since then I haven't changed in size much. Just not as toned as I'd like!

Anyway I’ve added photos in progress pics

Anyway I’ve added photos in progress pics
    I looked in female progress pictures and couldn't find your post. Where did you post them?
    I am one of the 3%.
    I am one of the 1 in 8.
    www.metavivor.org

Thank you so much for your reply, really appreciate it! I probably should start taking photos, yes. I have always taken progress photos in the past and even now it's handy to see how I changed at times when I was training. It's been very sporadic since having my first child at 29, but the biggest gap has been the last 8 years. My daughter had cancer at age 3-4 (she's a healthy 8 year old now I'm pleased to say), so for a good year at that time I definitely did not train as I was her full time carer. I got quite skinny due to not eating properly and obviously the stress, but thankfully since then I haven't changed in size much. Just not as toned as I'd like!
    Let me start by saying I am soooooo glad she is a survivor, Lizzy. I feel so badly about how little money goes into finding cures for childhood cancer. As a BC survivor, I know where to donate money effectively. I don't really know where best to donate for childhood cancers (where the money actually goes toward finding cures).

Yes, photos and measurements. Perhaps even use an item of clothing as your measurememy of size. My gauge is a black denim skirt I've had for a long time. If it ever starts to fit at the waist, I know I need to lose a few lbs (because it's loose when I'm at my best weight).
    I am one of the 3%.
    I am one of the 1 in 8.
    www.metavivor.org

I looked in female progress pictures and couldn't find your post. Where did you post them?
    In my profile

Let me start by saying I am soooooo glad she is a survivor, Lizzy. I feel so badly about how little money goes into finding cures for childhood cancer. As a BC survivor, I know where to donate money effectively. I don't really know where best to donate for childhood cancers (where the money actually goes toward finding cures).

Yes, photos and measurements. Perhaps even use an item of clothing as your measurememy of size. My gauge is a black denim skirt I've had for a long time. If it ever starts to fit at the waist, I know I need to lose a few lbs (because it's loose when I'm at my best weight).
    Yep I’ve got a couple of pairs of jeans that I keep for this purpose!

And as far as donating to cancer research I’m not sure. Here in Australia we’ve got several such charities for cancers that don’t have good survival rates. My daughter was ‘lucky’ to get one that has effective treatments available and the drugs all funded through our public healthcare system. We were fortunate!

Yep I’ve got a couple of pairs of jeans that I keep for this purpose!

And as far as donating to cancer research I’m not sure. Here in Australia we’ve got several such charities for cancers that don’t have good survival rates. My daughter was ‘lucky’ to get one that has effective treatments available and the drugs all funded through our public healthcare system. We were fortunate!
    It has certainly been eye opening dealing with cancer, in the US, as opposed to the UK (where I grew up), with the NHS. Here we've had deductibles, co-pays and so much out of pocket our health insurer declined to pay (though the Women's Health and Cancer Rights Act was passed in 1998 and is a federal law that provides protections to patients who choose to have breast reconstruction in connection with a mastectomy. Insurance companies love to deny claims to BC patients here. Having to appeal their decisions is unbelievably frustrating when you're already dealing with cancer). That said, cancer treatment here is more advanced than in the UK so it's a double edged sword.

I always love it when a doctor tells you you have a lucky cancer. Or a lazy one. Cancer is frightening, however they sugarcoat it.
    I am one of the 3%.
    I am one of the 1 in 8.
    www.metavivor.org

In my profile
    You look great for your weight. How tall are you?
    I am one of the 3%.
    I am one of the 1 in 8.
    www.metavivor.org

You look great for your weight. How tall are you?
    Thanks! I’m 177cm/5’9”