Adam1303 is on a distinguished road. (+10)

Shoulders/Chest failing without feeling fatigued?

Hello,

First post so first off hello everyone!

Just to give some background, I'm 24 (until Tuesday, but I'm still 24... For now!) weigh 64kg and I'm 5'10". Been going to the gym for the past year with some pretty unhealthy weight cuts thrown in, 'bulking' (if you can call it that) to 72kg before waking up and deciding that I dislike being over 70kg and cutting down to 62kg..Ish. Happy to say this is an issue of the past, I look 'skinny' at 64kg to the point it's not even recognizable that I go the gym unless my top is off, at which point I look excessively lean with medicore at best muscle formation which isn't what I'm going for.

Back on topic - Whenever I'm performing any form of shoulder/chest exercises, whether it be bench pressing or military pressing I've noticed that before my muscles feel any form of fatigue my muscles will completely drop any power available and fail without any form of notice. There's no fatigue present, I'm not lifting beyond my abilities (dumbbell military pressing 12kg dumbbells, benching 45kg) so it can't really be a matter of I'm exceeding my bodies capabilities.
    I was just wondering if anyone has any experience with this? It's almost like the muscle(s) that's engaged just completely disengages itself before hypertrophy kicks in, quite literally no sense of fatigue or hint of failure; I'll get 3/4 of the rep feeling absolutely fine and then the muscle just completely disengages/fails.

I'm eating quite well and clean, taking in 3500 calories/day and lifting 5days/week with an hour of cardio included every day lifting with 1 day exclusively for cardio. Thought process behind this is that I'm not really trying to be a bodybuilder, I just want to be lean and go for 'functional fitness'. Basically, the vain insta/snapchat/facebook mirror selfie look which I've achieved before without encountering these issues.

I'm aware this is a bodybuilding forum and many won't be 'qualified' in the medical sense to provide diagnosis, although upon speaking to my GP I'm almost certain that an accumulation of experience outweighs their baffled expressions and 'take it easy' comments which are quite literally inert in substance and help.

Really appreciate any form of input as it's quite defeating when you're unable to perform (queue Michael Scott's 'that's what she said') to your known capabilities.

Thanks in advance,
    Adam.

melpa64 is on a distinguished road. (+10) melpa64 is on a distinguished road. (+10) melpa64 is on a distinguished road. (+10) melpa64 is on a distinguished road. (+10) melpa64 is on a distinguished road. (+10) melpa64 is on a distinguished road. (+10) melpa64 is on a distinguished road. (+10) melpa64 is on a distinguished road. (+10) melpa64 is on a distinguished road. (+10) melpa64 is on a distinguished road. (+10) melpa64 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by Adam1303 View Post
    Hello,

First post so first off hello everyone!

Just to give some background, I'm 24 (until Tuesday, but I'm still 24... For now!) weigh 64kg and I'm 5'10". Been going to the gym for the past year with some pretty unhealthy weight cuts thrown in, 'bulking' (if you can call it that) to 72kg before waking up and deciding that I dislike being over 70kg and cutting down to 62kg..Ish. Happy to say this is an issue of the past, I look 'skinny' at 64kg to the point it's not even recognizable that I go the gym unless my top is off, at which point I look excessively lean with medicore at best muscle formation which isn't what I'm going for.

Back on topic - Whenever I'm performing any form of shoulder/chest exercises, whether it be bench pressing or military pressing I've noticed that before my muscles feel any form of fatigue my muscles will completely drop any power available and fail without any form of notice. There's no fatigue present, I'm not lifting beyond my abilities (dumbbell military pressing 12kg dumbbells, benching 45kg) so it can't really be a matter of I'm exceeding my bodies capabilities.
    I was just wondering if anyone has any experience with this? It's almost like the muscle(s) that's engaged just completely disengages itself before hypertrophy kicks in, quite literally no sense of fatigue or hint of failure; I'll get 3/4 of the rep feeling absolutely fine and then the muscle just completely disengages/fails.

I'm eating quite well and clean, taking in 3500 calories/day and lifting 5days/week with an hour of cardio included every day lifting with 1 day exclusively for cardio. Thought process behind this is that I'm not really trying to be a bodybuilder, I just want to be lean and go for 'functional fitness'. Basically, the vain insta/snapchat/facebook mirror selfie look which I've achieved before without encountering these issues.

I'm aware this is a bodybuilding forum and many won't be 'qualified' in the medical sense to provide diagnosis, although upon speaking to my GP I'm almost certain that an accumulation of experience outweighs their baffled expressions and 'take it easy' comments which are quite literally inert in substance and help.

Really appreciate any form of input as it's quite defeating when you're unable to perform (queue Michael Scott's 'that's what she said') to your known capabilities.

Thanks in advance,
    Adam.
    Hi Adam. Nice to meet you.

It just sounds like muscle imbalances which all newbies have to an extent when doing a new excersise and also sounds like your form may be off, hard to know what's going on without seeing.

My best bet is that your form on the lift is incorrect, take bench press for example, it sounds like you are focusing too much on pressing the weight up with your shoulders, all you are using is the front delts which will fatigue much quicker than your chest, a bench press should incorporate your chest and upper back drive.

Are you arching your back and keeping your elbows tucked in when lifting? If no then I highly recommend watching videos on youtube to learn proper form and start slowly, drop the weight and feel the movement, I would use a barbell instead of dumbbells, it is easier to learn the lift. Do not worry about feeling your chest working, it won't help, it will work automatically be involved once your form is down, if you did it correctly, your chest, shoulders and triceps should be sore the next day! Hope this helps.