CreekIsland is on a distinguished road. (+10)

New to leg workouts

I am new to leg workouts. What are workouts I can do at home for my overall legs?

pay the iron price SuffolkPunch's Avatar
    SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz
    Most of the routines we recommend have leg work integrated throughout. There is no "leg day" as this is an old concept from low frequency routines.

Basically, my rule of thumb is to spread the following across the week:
    1. a squat
    2. a hip hinge such as a romanian deadlift
    3. glute work including barbell hip thruster and hip abduction machine
    4. quad and hamstring isolations like leg extension or leg curl, maybe done unilaterally
    5. calf raises if required.

richard99cook will become famous soon enough. (+50) richard99cook will become famous soon enough. (+50) richard99cook will become famous soon enough. (+50) richard99cook will become famous soon enough. (+50) richard99cook will become famous soon enough. (+50) richard99cook will become famous soon enough. (+50) richard99cook will become famous soon enough. (+50) richard99cook will become famous soon enough. (+50) richard99cook will become famous soon enough. (+50) richard99cook will become famous soon enough. (+50) richard99cook will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Firstly I'd recommend signing up to the gym if possible. When I got some cheap, light dumbbells and began my training journey, legs was the one I struggled with the most as the weights available just were not enough. Home dumbbells are fine for things like chest flyes, bicep curls, skullcrushers, seated shoulder press and so on. But when you are trying to do compound leg movements, you just need more weight or machines. Particularly for hamstring development as these muscle fibres favour lower reps/heavier weight.

That said, there are certainly some exercises you can do to start out with. As the quads respond well to high reps, bodyweight squats are an obvious one. You can add weight simply by holding onto something heavy if you don't have dumbbells. As you progress, you could try some 'pistol squats', look these up - difficult! Lunges you can also do bodyweight, or grab something heavy. Calf raises are also easily done at home if you have some stairs.

Just to share my leg routine, I'm on a PPL split cycling days with two rest days per week. My leg days are as follows:

Legs 1
    WU - Light ham curls and light leg extensions, just to get some blood pumping and get the muscles primed etc
    A1 - Back Squat
    A2 - Standing Ham Curls machine
    A3 - 45° sled Leg Press [low feet stance to emphasise quads]
    A4 - Adductor machine
    A5 - High rep leg extensions
    A6 - Calves

Legs 2
    WU - Light ham curls and light leg extensions, just to get some blood pumping and get the muscles primed etc
    A1 - Barbell RDLs
    A2 - Hack Squat machine [regular feet positioning]
    A3 - 45° sled Leg Press [high + wide feet positioning to emphasise glutes/hams more]
    A4 - Seated Ham Curls
    A5 - Lunges
    A6 - Calves

I think this shows that to really get going with good leg development, a gym is much better.

Freaka11 is not very well liked. (-100) Freaka11 is not very well liked. (-100) Freaka11 is not very well liked. (-100) Freaka11 is not very well liked. (-100) Freaka11 is not very well liked. (-100) Freaka11 is not very well liked. (-100) Freaka11 is not very well liked. (-100) Freaka11 is not very well liked. (-100) Freaka11 is not very well liked. (-100) Freaka11 is not very well liked. (-100) Freaka11 is not very well liked. (-100)
    There are so many workouts for legs. But it depends on what your goals and physical condition is, and what you want. Few common leg exercises that you can perform at-home without spending money on a crowded gym like Squat Jump, Scissor Box Jump, Single-Leg Hip Raise etc.

Never accept defeat! backinthegymbro's Avatar
    backinthegymbro has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) backinthegymbro has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) backinthegymbro has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) backinthegymbro has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) backinthegymbro has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) backinthegymbro has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) backinthegymbro has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) backinthegymbro has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) backinthegymbro has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) backinthegymbro has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) backinthegymbro has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    Bodyweight squats and lunges are great. Try doing 80 of them total.
    So maybe 4 sets of 20 or 5 sets of 16.
    Also do calf raises at home. Either stand on a book or on a raised platform so you can lower your heel all the way, and bring it all the way up.

Train legs twice a week.
    Cobra Kai never dies!