WittyJ is on a distinguished road. (+10)

Any tips to help get over feeling like you haven't done enough?

I just started working out about 2 months ago after deciding to get sober. I needed something positive to keep my mind occupied. I was out of shape, and I mean completely. I could barely do a proper push up. 29 year old male btw. My problem is that I am still not able to do a full workout. I usually get in about 30-45 mins and around 3 sets of 8 to 10 different exercises. I always feel like I should have gotten more reps in, but my energy levels just aren't there. I'm also pretty self conscious about my form. I feel like my movements or positioning are awkward. It is really messing with me mentally. I've always been hard on myself, but this is ridiculous. I've got a lot of anxiety since I quit drinking if you can't tell lmao. I just need some words of encouragement.

etet1919 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) etet1919 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) etet1919 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) etet1919 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) etet1919 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) etet1919 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) etet1919 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) etet1919 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) etet1919 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) etet1919 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) etet1919 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by WittyJ View Post
    I just started working out about 2 months ago after deciding to get sober. I needed something positive to keep my mind occupied. I was out of shape, and I mean completely. I could barely do a proper push up. 29 year old male btw. My problem is that I am still not able to do a full workout. I usually get in about 30-45 mins and around 3 sets of 8 to 10 different exercises. I always feel like I should have gotten more reps in, but my energy levels just aren't there. I'm also pretty self conscious about my form. I feel like my movements or positioning are awkward. It is really messing with me mentally. I've always been hard on myself, but this is ridiculous. I've got a lot of anxiety since I quit drinking if you can't tell lmao. I just need some words of encouragement.
    You need words of encouragement? Well, you've earned them!! You quit a major addiction once and for all, 2 months ago...and still going strong (you're replacing a destructive habit with one of the most CONSTRUCTIVE habits)!! GIve yourself enough sufficient credit and STOP beating yourself up!

It's normal, and completely ok, that your energy levels aren't optimal yet. You have to exercise patience with yourself and your progress... Recovery and achievements take time. I do agree with you, in that anxiety could be the main energy-drainer for you at the moment. Have you considered expressing your concerns within the confines of a quality local AA support group?

You can post form videos of yourself in the exercise sub-forum. They will be extremely knowledgeable and helpful

In the meantime, you need to give yourself genuine credit for your accomplishment. Seek out a strong caring support system. Continue hitting the gym and training, pursuing new hobbies....replacing old destructive habits with the new and improved... But practice being compassionate with YOURSELF, above all else! Much continued success!!
    "It's not in my nature to give up."

^^ "No, I'm not a Taurus."

kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by WittyJ View Post
    First off, congrats on your decision to get sober good for you!

How many days a week do you train and what training program are you running? So many people get in the mindset that doing more is better but that's always the case. I've been in the gym for decades watching some people train for hours getting no where, while others might train for 45 min and look amazing. You've only been in the gym a couple months, (and as you stated out of shape and untrained.) With the right program and more time under the bar, you'll continue to improve.

Keep at it and good luck!
    National Level Competitor (Female BB)

Nutrition Coach/Trainer:
    http://www.iron-kim.com

Caldef is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Caldef is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Caldef is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Caldef is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Caldef is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Caldef is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Caldef is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Caldef is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Caldef is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Caldef is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Caldef is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Honest, that is bloody awesome, two months sober is a MASSIVE achievement

Just keep it up, remember slow progress is better than no progress and you might not see it yourself but I'm sure those around you will be recognising rhe difference be proud, you've earnt it!!

Humble Megalomaniac ElrondHubbard's Avatar
    ElrondHubbard has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ElrondHubbard has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ElrondHubbard has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ElrondHubbard has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ElrondHubbard has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ElrondHubbard has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ElrondHubbard has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ElrondHubbard has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ElrondHubbard has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ElrondHubbard has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ElrondHubbard has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Good advice from good people. Some of us always carry around the feeling that we haven’t done enough, no matter how much they’ve done. You cause that feeling to keep yourself motivated, but don’t let it undermine your accomplishment. As the others point out, you’ve made great progress already. Is it enough? Of course not, but that would take a lifetime. Be patient, and don’t give up. You’ll get there.
    I'm out, standing in my field.

64 and still a newbie.

Never accept defeat! backinthegymbro's Avatar
    backinthegymbro has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) backinthegymbro has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) backinthegymbro has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) backinthegymbro has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) backinthegymbro has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) backinthegymbro has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) backinthegymbro has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) backinthegymbro has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) backinthegymbro has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) backinthegymbro has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) backinthegymbro has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    Use lower weight that you can do with good form. Look up youtube tutorial videos for exercises on how to do them correctly.
    Other than that, just keep lifting. Your stamina will increase. Doing cardio also helps. Maybe a pre workout if you're low on energy or eating better.
    Cobra Kai never dies!

Registered User rakeshkumar1998's Avatar
    rakeshkumar1998 is on a distinguished road. (+10) rakeshkumar1998 is on a distinguished road. (+10) rakeshkumar1998 is on a distinguished road. (+10) rakeshkumar1998 is on a distinguished road. (+10) rakeshkumar1998 is on a distinguished road. (+10) rakeshkumar1998 is on a distinguished road. (+10) rakeshkumar1998 is on a distinguished road. (+10) rakeshkumar1998 is on a distinguished road. (+10) rakeshkumar1998 is on a distinguished road. (+10) rakeshkumar1998 is on a distinguished road. (+10) rakeshkumar1998 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Wake up with determination. Go to bed with satisfaction.