Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    jason_bh has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) jason_bh has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) jason_bh has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) jason_bh has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) jason_bh has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) jason_bh has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) jason_bh has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) jason_bh has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) jason_bh has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) jason_bh has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) jason_bh has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Thursday Workout
    DB Front Raise
    3 sets of 12 @ 27.5 lbs
    3 sets of 12 @ 15 lbs (Bad Arm)

DB Lateral Raise
    3 sets of 12 @ 27.5 lbs
    3 sets of 12 @ 15 lbs (Bad Arm)

DB Shoulder Press
    3 sets of 15 @ 35 lbs
    3 sets of 15 @ 15 lbs (Bad Arm)

DB Flat Bench
    3 sets of 12 @ 65 lbs
    3 sets of 12 @ 22.5 lbs (Bad Arm)

jason_bh has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) jason_bh has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) jason_bh has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) jason_bh has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) jason_bh has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) jason_bh has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) jason_bh has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) jason_bh has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) jason_bh has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) jason_bh has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) jason_bh has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    I am still working out twice per day. I think that I can grow to like it. It allows for more time that I need being that I am working around my injury.

Not going to post this weeks workouts. But I only missed yesterday and this morning, so 7 workouts this week. My highlight was using a 25 lb DB on flat bench. My low point was on Monday and today when I realize how much of a struggle it is to try to do any bicep work on my injured arm. Being that I can't supinate my forearm, I try to get creative in how I approach curls, but I end up just doing some form of hammer curls with it.

BenjiTheGiant is a jewel in the rough. (+500) BenjiTheGiant is a jewel in the rough. (+500) BenjiTheGiant is a jewel in the rough. (+500) BenjiTheGiant is a jewel in the rough. (+500) BenjiTheGiant is a jewel in the rough. (+500) BenjiTheGiant is a jewel in the rough. (+500) BenjiTheGiant is a jewel in the rough. (+500) BenjiTheGiant is a jewel in the rough. (+500) BenjiTheGiant is a jewel in the rough. (+500) BenjiTheGiant is a jewel in the rough. (+500) BenjiTheGiant is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Good work! Keep it up! Hope your arm will get better soon!

On Saturday I was finally able to stretch my arm out enough to where I believe I had full extension. Of course I still have to keep working on this to make it 'stay'. And I am finally seeing some progress with my forearm supination.

Went up to 30 lb DB on flat bench this week. Increased weight in some other lifts as well.

However, yesterday while doing preacher curls (DB) I noticed a sharp pain in my shoulder/bicep. Arm was unusually weak. It eventually stopped though and I was able to continue working out.

Originally Posted by BenjiTheGiant View Post
    Good work! Keep it up! Hope your arm will get better soon!
    Thanks. I really appreciate the encouragement.

Update:
    I continue to move up weight (slowly) with my bad arm. Today I did shoulders and it was the first time where I was able to do both shoulders at the same time. I have only done one at a time just in case something gave out on me.

I have also started doing the same weight for some of my shoulder exercises. Example, I worked up to 40lb DB on my bad arm today for DB Shoulder Press. Worked up to 25lb DBs on DB Front and Lat Raises. Feels good to use the same amount of weight.

I see my ortho next Monday. I no longer have to see my PT. She told me that there really wasn't anything else that she could do for me. However, I still cannot fully supinate my forearm. Will see what ortho says.

Jan 2020 Update:

Still very little improvement in supination of forearm. I seriously doubt that I will be able to make much more progress here without another surgery. There are some things where this is an issue, but they are rather minor inconveniences. Example, holding a plate is not really an option.

In the gym, I continue to progress pretty well.
    Some milestones for me:
    Seated DB Shoulder Press - 50 lb DBs for 12 reps
    Incline DB Bench - 60 lb DBs for 12 reps
    Flat DB Bench - 75 lb DB for 2 reps
    *Note: I pushed a little too much on the flat DB bench for 75 lb DBs. On my second rep, I felt a sharp pain and felt like my elbow wanted to give out.

I did attempt BB flat and BB incline bench last week. Started with just the bar and felt good. Worked up to 115 lbs on both. Really humbling starting all over again, but at least I have goals to work towards. My fear with doing BB bench is that I am now using both arms together and that can be troublesome as my left arm is significantly stronger at this point.

Last Update:

This will be my last update. I originally created this log as a way for others that may have this type of injury to find some info. When I tried researching my injury and how it would effect my training, I really couldn't find much info. So I wanted to document my journey hoping that others would find it useful in the future. I had no idea what my timeframe would look like getting back into the gym. My doc originally told me 9 months to a year so that was my concern. As I have documented, you can go back and do some things within reason.

Today, I was officially released by my doctor. While I am not 100% healed, I have enough mobility in my arm that we both felt like I could move on. Really the only thing that holds me up is my supination (palm up). I would say that I can supinate my forearm around 45 degrees without any intervention. This creates some challenges for me, but nothing too big. Not being able to supinate my forearm only affects small things in day to day routines. Things such as, straightening up my collar on my shirt, holding a utensil, holding something like a plate, or getting change. My injury doesn't prevent me from doing those things, but it is not all that easy anymore. This really only affects my workouts as far as not being able to do any straight bar curls. But everything is within acceptable range according to both my doc and I.

I recently took a week and a half off from the gym as I pushed myself a little too hard (rack pulls with 315lb) and developed some pain in my elbow. It has since recovered. I expect this to be the 'norm' for at least the near future. I do however, continue to progress with weight on exercises. It's somewhat nice to have a goal and set new PR's on my injured arm. I look forward to getting back to where I was pre-injury, but I accept the fact that I may never get back to pushing heavy weight again.

I am back to throwing a baseball (which is what caused my injury/fall) without much pain. This was one of my goals that I set with my physical therapist originally.

Good luck to anyone in the future that finds themselves in the same situation as I was.

philspill96 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) philspill96 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) philspill96 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) philspill96 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) philspill96 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) philspill96 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) philspill96 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) philspill96 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) philspill96 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) philspill96 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) philspill96 is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    How are you doing now a year post op are you back to full strength?

Originally Posted by philspill96 View Post
    How are you doing now a year post op are you back to full strength?
    I had forgotten about this thread.

I would say as far as strength, I am back to full strength or close enough. However, I still have lingering issues. I am unable to supinate my forearm (rotate my wrist palm up). I can rotate it just barely enough to grab an EZ-curl bar. I cannot grab a straight bar curl it. That is really my only limitation, but I have learned to adapt. The only other issue that I have is from time to time my wrist/hand will have severe nerve pain, which prevents me from lifting for a little while. This only recently has been an issue, which I believe is due to me being able to lift heavier weights.

Overall, I would say that the journey back to gaining movement and strength has been a positive one. I was initially devastated not being able to workout. When I was finally able to use my arm it was somewhat depressing because I couldn't lift much at all. But gaining strength along the way and finally getting back to 'respectable' weights was a milestone.

philspill96 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) philspill96 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) philspill96 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) philspill96 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) philspill96 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) philspill96 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) philspill96 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) philspill96 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) philspill96 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) philspill96 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) philspill96 is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Thanks for the quick reply. I have just suffered the terrible triad 10 weeks ago. my elbow was reconstructed with screws.my wrist is also fractured and still in a cast ,so I have not begun supination exercises yet ,which worry’s me. I also began pt late nearly 4 weeks after the accident ,which I know 2 weeks is the recommended timeframe, so I hope this doesn’t affect my final outcome too much. Like you I’m big into the gym and really hope I can get back to where I was before or close enough to it.

Originally Posted by philspill96 View Post
    Thanks for the quick reply. I have just suffered the terrible triad 10 weeks ago. my elbow was reconstructed with screws.my wrist is also fractured and still in a cast ,so I have not begun supination exercises yet ,which worry’s me. I also began pt late nearly 4 weeks after the accident ,which I know 2 weeks is the recommended timeframe, so I hope this doesn’t affect my final outcome too much. Like you I’m big into the gym and really hope I can get back to where I was before or close enough to it.
    You are the reason that I made this thread.

Let me encourage you as best as I can. When my accident happen, I was truly depressed. Not being able to lift just made things exponentially worse. Not being able to do things like put a shirt on, lift a tennis shoe, etc. was quite humbling.

I can't remember exactly when I started PT, but it was not right away. My doc wouldn't allow me to straighten my elbow for weeks afterwards due to the concern of it coming out of joint again. So I was a bit behind too. PT was difficult at first because I tried to protect my elbow too much. After a month in I realized that my elbow wasn't going to dislocate and things turned better.

It took a while before I could straighten my arm fully and I really thought that I would never get it fully extended. But it happened. As far as my supination issues, I believe that there is something off at my wrist. Like it is not quite set exactly where it should be. My wrist was extremely painful for weeks after surgery. We did numerous X-rays and even a CAT scan in order to find the issue. I had a device (JAS) that I had to use three times per day that would rotate my wrist. With the device I was able to fully supinate my forearm. However, whenever I took the device off, I was unable to do so. Totally bizarre. I was eventually able to get my wrist/forearm to supinate to around 45 degrees, which kept me out of surgery. I decided that I would live with it the way that it was.

Link to the device: https://www.jointactivesystems.com/p...s-sps-pro-sup/

As far as lifting goes, don't stress too much. You will eventually make it to where you want to be. You need to focus on getting your arm to full extension and hopefully your forearm will be able to supinate once you are out of your cast. I only went to PT once per week. I started doing a lot of stretching exercises at the house on my own which helped tremendously. I can't recommend this enough for someone that likes to lift weights and wants to get back into the gym. We are somewhat motivated as is, so this shouldn't be an issue for you. When you want to go back to the gym, do it. Just don't lift anything with your repaired arm until it is safe to do so. You can work one side of your body and it will be just fine in the end. (My repaired arm is slightly smaller than my other, but I can still lift the same weight).

I would recommend that you invest in a somewhat heavy hammer/mallet and some type of pulley system for physical therapy. I used this pulley system https://www.amazon.com/RangeMaster-E...8402515&sr=8-6 at the house. It was great for getting movement in my shoulder and also stretching my arm out. The heavy mallet/hammer was great for holding onto and letting gravity work on straightening my elbow while I rested my arm on a table. I also used the hammer to move side to side to help strengthen my wrist/forearm in order to get some movement.

Stay with it. You will hear all kinds of stories of other people and how they made progress. Don't get too caught up in the 'timeline' of trying to get full use of your arm. Do what you are comfortable doing.

If you have any more questions please feel free to ask. I want to be able to help other lifters out as they go through their journey.

Thanks Jason this is really encouraging, I will take all of your advice on board. It’s so hard to see all my gains over the past number of years vanish in a matter of weeks. Not being able lift in the gym is a real killer. The worst thing about this injury is the not knowing part, every case is different and people will have different results, but your right the best thing to do is focus on my extension ,flexion and supination for now. I can’t imagine returning to the gym and starting from the bottom again, but hopefully like you I’ll be able to return to full strength

Hey mate I’m having the same problem as you can’t supinate my wrist at all did you know if there was an option of another surgery to improve it.?