Woodpecker11 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Woodpecker11 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Woodpecker11 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Woodpecker11 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Woodpecker11 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Woodpecker11 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Woodpecker11 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Woodpecker11 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Woodpecker11 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Woodpecker11 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Woodpecker11 will become famous soon enough. (+50)

Anyone successfully switched careers?

Hey all,

I am an attorney in Vegas and have been practicing for about 4 and a half years but am super unhappy with what I do. I make $120,000+ (which is good for Vegas) depending on bonuses but am just really burned out, stressed and overall unsatisfied with my "career." I dream about doing almost anything other than being a lawyer daily but feel like I cannot quit due to debt (about $50K student loan debt, $238K mortgage, credit card debt, and owe about $10k on my car). I'm working really hard at eliminating my consumer debt and should be out of that by the end of the year/early next year.

I also feel like I don't have a degree that is marketable besides law. My undergrad degree is Sociology so that's useless and a JD is not as versatile as law schools like prospective students to believe.

Has anybody successfully left a career? Any advice? I think I would literally kill myself if I were doing what I'm doing in 20 years.

Zjunky is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Zjunky is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Zjunky is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Zjunky is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Zjunky is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Zjunky is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Zjunky is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Zjunky is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Zjunky is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Zjunky is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Zjunky is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    I can't say on switching. I'm in a similar boat myself and making only 2/3rds what you are. At least you have a practice area. Some of us are still doing doc reviews. At least you realize and you have time. It's trickier for those of us trying to change fields after a couple decades.

I will say this though, start looking at your options and get out of debt as much as possible. Pay off the high interest stuff. Minimize new expenses. Start socking away as much as you can because whatever you transition to will probably incur a substantial pay cut.

tonybalogney has a spectacular aura about. (+250) tonybalogney has a spectacular aura about. (+250) tonybalogney has a spectacular aura about. (+250) tonybalogney has a spectacular aura about. (+250) tonybalogney has a spectacular aura about. (+250) tonybalogney has a spectacular aura about. (+250) tonybalogney has a spectacular aura about. (+250) tonybalogney has a spectacular aura about. (+250) tonybalogney has a spectacular aura about. (+250) tonybalogney has a spectacular aura about. (+250) tonybalogney has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    I was working in oil & gas making $130k with the potential to make $250k++ as long as i showed up and passed a drug test, but i walked away from it because it made me miserable every single day and realized life is way too short to live that way

Best advice i can give is to spend your time now putting some real thought into what you want to do, figure out what your ideal lifestyle looks like and start working backwards to figure out the path. It is quite possible it may not be the "perfect" job, but it is likely better than your current. Also, while you're making good money go 110% on paying off your consumer debt and save up at the very least 6 months full expenses so that when you do decide to quit you can have a smooth transition and not be freaking out about money and go back to a sh*t job again

Failing to plan is planning to fail

knightofday has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) knightofday has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) knightofday has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) knightofday has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) knightofday has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) knightofday has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) knightofday has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) knightofday has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) knightofday has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) knightofday has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) knightofday has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by tonybalogney View Post
    I was working in oil & gas making $130k with the potential to make $250k++ as long as i showed up and passed a drug test, but i walked away from it because it made me miserable every single day and realized life is way too short to live that way

Best advice i can give is to spend your time now putting some real thought into what you want to do, figure out what your ideal lifestyle looks like and start working backwards to figure out the path. It is quite possible it may not be the "perfect" job, but it is likely better than your current. Also, while you're making good money go 110% on paying off your consumer debt and save up at the very least 6 months full expenses so that when you do decide to quit you can have a smooth transition and not be freaking out about money and go back to a sh*t job again

Failing to plan is planning to fail
    Great post and I know EXACTLY what you guys mean about making good money but hating life daily, soooooo not worth it. Pay off your debt Dave Ramsey style OP (minus house of course, like NOW) then gtfo out your job srs